Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Aug 2, 2018 at 5:21 AM Post #2,341 of 6,418
In terms of sheer sound quality, here are my ratings:

M0 > Sony A45 > FiiO X5 II

The M0 is the Sansa Clip of this generation. I have no idea how Shanling managed it, but this little thing sounds so marvelous. The freakin clarity, the power, the balanced sound. It bests players that cost double than its asking price.

This! Got it for runs/hikes/walks/etc. Hate carrying my V30 for this stuff...glad to have the same quality sound in a much smaller form factor

Aug 2, 2018 at 7:16 AM Post #2,342 of 6,418
I got my M0 because I use my Sansa Clip+ a lot and it is impossible to get a replacement for a reasonable price.

The biggest thing I am missing on the M0 audiobook bookmark/resume functionality I enjoy on my Clip+ (running Rockbox).

The M0 is the much better music player though so I gained that. Hopefully my Sana's do not die before the M0 gets audiobook functionality. When the M0 does, I might just get another just for audiobooks too.

Aug 2, 2018 at 7:17 AM Post #2,343 of 6,418
Yeah my assessment mirrors your pretty closely. Even scrolling by letter on the 3 ... I simply can't be fine enough to get to the actual track I want, I always end up a page above or below it. The scrolling precision definitely needs work. I find the same issue with changing volume and accidentally pressing the scroll wheel. I find I have to put my thumb right on top of the wheel and turn very gently to avoid the push and also the volume jump up when I want to go down and vice versa.

Maybe we should try to get Sony to buy Shanling and then we could finally get the TLTR DAP we want. Better still get Sony to sell their DAP division to Shanling. Either would work!!

So Shanling's next DAP - $200.00, slightly bigger size (like M1), hardware buttons on the side, same power, slightly better battery life, AptX HD support = Sony A series killer!! That DAP would make me forget about Sony all together.

I hope they make a M1 sized device with the same GUI ,touchscreen, recessed thumb wheel, recessed buttons on the side under $150

Aug 2, 2018 at 10:12 AM Post #2,345 of 6,418
Hi @Shanling , today I noticed something. I tried to pair my M0 with the Sony 1000XM2 (hi-res wireless headphones with LDAC). They were paired and sound was great but I didn't see LDAC icon next to the clock (on M0's screen). Why is that? or what does it mean?

Because two days ago I tried this with the ProStereo H2 earphones and that time the LDAC logo was there.

Thanks in advance.

Aug 2, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #2,346 of 6,418
Today at work...

i-v4L3WjJ-X4.jpg

Aug 2, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #2,348 of 6,418
hello.
I noticed when I hear music on non equalizer i feeling missing depth bass, when I put headphone mode on equalizer the bass back but low volume... is it just me?

Personally this thing without EQ has way more than enough bass response for me.

Oh and if anybody’s interested I have a brand new FiiO A5 amp that I’m going to sell cheap. I don’t really use my hd 600’s and everything else I use is easy to power. I just got it yesterday and made sure it works- and it has a BASS boost lol.

PM if interested

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2018 at 2:43 PM Post #2,349 of 6,418
I hope they make a M1 sized device with the same GUI ,touchscreen, recessed thumb wheel, recessed buttons on the side under $150

Maybe in an ideal world but in the real world not enough price difference between M0 and mystery DAP. $200.00 price more realistic to differentiate the two models. If it replaces the M1 then $200 would be closer to reality I think. Also at that price it would compete head to head with the Sony A series either the current A45 or whatever the A55 ends up being.

Aug 2, 2018 at 3:15 PM Post #2,350 of 6,418
Yep I'm pretty much in agreement with most people here. I'd love to see pretty much the same device as the M0 but twice the size (so its still teeny and ultra portable but you can easily hit the tiny controls with man sized hands) with a play/pause and next/previous button. As often i have to hit the jog dial a couple of times to turn the screen on and off before the in screen controls will respond.

The only part of the UI I'd love to see tweaked is having the progress bar on the first screen rather than having to scroll yo see it, and I'm not a big fan of the 90s big circle icons on the home screen.

Other than that I'd happily buy that at twice the the price!

Aug 2, 2018 at 3:17 PM Post #2,351 of 6,418
Oh and has anyone come up with any ingenious ways to mount this in a car? I think I'm going to have to bodge something to clip it to a vent or somewhere, but would love to see some inspiration.

Aug 2, 2018 at 3:17 PM Post #2,352 of 6,418
So Shanling's next DAP - $200.00, slightly bigger size (like M1), hardware buttons on the side, same power, slightly better battery life, AptX HD support = Sony A series killer!! That DAP would make me forget about Sony all together.
I personally would like to see a bigger version than M1... maybe M2 (or M2s) size. I see no advantage moving from M0 to M1 size. M0 is perfect for being super portable, but moving up to M1 size gets you very little... screen got to be 2x to 3x the size. not 25% bigger... IMHO of course :wink:

I got my M0 because I use my Sansa Clip+ a lot and it is impossible to get a replacement for a reasonable price.

The biggest thing I am missing on the M0 audiobook bookmark/resume functionality I enjoy on my Clip+ (running Rockbox).

The M0 is the much better music player though so I gained that. Hopefully my Sana's do not die before the M0 gets audiobook functionality. When the M0 does, I might just get another just for audiobooks too.
Looking anxiously for audiobook and podcast functionality as well.
Also, a GOOD clip case. Not the crappy all-plastic one, which I would never trust enough to jog with it. I would rather pay $15 for a good clip case, than $7 for the plastic one...

Aug 2, 2018 at 4:18 PM Post #2,353 of 6,418
I personally would like to see a bigger version than M1... maybe M2 (or M2s) size. I see no advantage moving from M0 to M1 size. M0 is perfect for being super portable, but moving up to M1 size gets you very little... screen got to be 2x to 3x the size. not 25% bigger... IMHO of course :wink:

Looking anxiously for audiobook and podcast functionality as well.
Also, a GOOD clip case. Not the crappy all-plastic one, which I would never trust enough to jog with it. I would rather pay $15 for a good clip case, than $7 for the plastic one...

Wonder if the next (m5 update perhaps mentioned earlier in the thread?) one will be android given the android app in development, or will it (more likely) be the same software that the m0 uses?

Aug 2, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #2,354 of 6,418
Yep I'm pretty much in agreement with most people here. I'd love to see pretty much the same device as the M0 but twice the size (so its still teeny and ultra portable but you can easily hit the tiny controls with man sized hands) with a play/pause and next/previous button. As often i have to hit the jog dial a couple of times to turn the screen on and off before the in screen controls will respond.

The only part of the UI I'd love to see tweaked is having the progress bar on the first screen rather than having to scroll yo see it, and I'm not a big fan of the 90s big circle icons on the home screen.

Other than that I'd happily buy that at twice the the price!

I agree with the progress bar, it’s a pain in the ass to see time remaining. I know they don’t have much room to work with though. Yes a slightly bigger size and maybe a touch more power and battery life, hardware controls plus touch screen and a balanced out :) :) Even M2 size is still small! Whatever it is Shanling I will buy it. I love the clear sound of the M0 and M3 don’t go warm like m1 and M2s they still sound good but I love the clarity of M0.

Aug 2, 2018 at 7:10 PM Post #2,355 of 6,418
Oh and has anyone come up with any ingenious ways to mount this in a car? I think I'm going to have to bodge something to clip it to a vent or somewhere, but would love to see some inspiration.
Someone made a custom frame out of wood quite a few pages back

Users who are viewing this thread

Back