Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Jul 25, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #2,191 of 6,418
Got the nw a45 today and it pretty much sounds like the a35. The M0 has more clarity and better separation of instruments and more power. Better detail and resolution bla bla bla. :)

The a45 is warmer and sounds like it’s slightly veiled compared to the M0. I greatly prefer the sound of the M0 myself although the Sony is a nice little unit, and sounds great and has great battery life because of the class D amp. But it’s just outclassed by the M0 sonically. Flac, DSD and high bitrate mp3 tested. Music - Steely dan aja, Fleetwood Mac rumours hd, DSOTM DSD, PF the division bell hd, Yes 90125 DSD, Spock’s beard, Rush, Sphogle, Ozric tentacles, bluetech, Radiohead OK computer DSD, Jeff beck, hydria spacefolk, Eric Johnson, the aritstocats, Jeff kashiwa, the orb, porcupine tree, beck sea change, Alan Parsons.

Of course I got spoiled by the Sony ZX300’s balanced out.

Received my A45 yesterday and very happy with it (especially at £100) size is perfect for me and really wouldn't want it much smaller. Software is fantastic as is the build quality. Paired with the B&W PX it sounds great as the HP excel in instrument separation, with plenty of oomph (after EU volume restrictions removed). Would have gone for the M0 but for the size and lack of aptx hd. Hopefully the next players in the series adds it.

Do you think that A45 needs burning in slightly ?

Jul 25, 2018 at 5:14 PM Post #2,192 of 6,418
Just tried the M0 connected to my modded Gustard H10 amp and modded TH-X00PH...

i-VGLhLGk-X4.jpg

Running it low gain @ 100% and H10 volume knob set @ just slightly less than 9:00 position. Absolutely blown away - far better sounding than the Audioquest Dragonfly Red and it has me questioning the Gustard X20U just a little bit. Outstanding dynamics and clean/tight punch....bass is something else too, though I do think the Gustard X20U /H10 pairing has more impact along with more overall detail/finesse and smoothness. The $100 M0 plugged into the H10 is crazy awesome for extremely clean, dynamic percussion... just WOW. I'd honestly rather bring that setup to a headphone meet than the full EITR/X2U/Loki/H10 setup....the sound you get from that M0/H10/TH-X00PH setup is quite something.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2018 at 5:26 PM Post #2,193 of 6,418
I'm thinking of getting of these for using at work. What small portable amp pairs well with it?

Jul 25, 2018 at 7:35 PM Post #2,194 of 6,418
Received my A45 yesterday and very happy with it (especially at £100) size is perfect for me and really wouldn't want it much smaller. Software is fantastic as is the build quality. Paired with the B&W PX it sounds great as the HP excel in instrument separation, with plenty of oomph (after EU volume restrictions removed). Would have gone for the M0 but for the size and lack of aptx hd. Hopefully the next players in the series adds it.

Do you think that A45 needs burning in slightly ?

Oh don’t get me wrong the a45 sounds better than most daps, and burn in might help but it doesn’t have the big caps that the zx300 or wm1a. The a45 has the warmth of the a Sony, but I do like the clarity of the M0 personally. The bass is not as defined on the a45, but that could change I will probably listen to it after some burn in. For what I paid for the a45 it was a steal. Also for 100 bucks the M0 shoots way beyond its price.

Jul 25, 2018 at 8:18 PM Post #2,195 of 6,418
Oh don’t get me wrong the a45 sounds better than most daps, and burn in might help but it doesn’t have the big caps that the zx300 or wm1a. The a45 has the warmth of the a Sony, but I do like the clarity of the M0 personally. The bass is not as defined on the a45, but that could change I will probably listen to it after some burn in. For what I paid for the a45 it was a steal. Also for 100 bucks the M0 shoots way beyond its price.

Are you planning on keeping both ? Let us know what you think of them after a few weeks of use.

Jul 25, 2018 at 10:32 PM Post #2,201 of 6,418
Big apology for any delay in responses, was in London for Canjam and just now got to forums. Also sorry if I skipped any question while going over past 15 pages, just @ me again :wink:

@Shanling - Received my m0 today. Sadly it seems to have a touchscreen issue out of the box.
Continuous Random scrolling and clicking. The device is totally unusable. :frowning2:

Purchased from AliExpress.
Please let me know the warranty policy on this.

Truly sorry it happened to you.

This fault is fully covered by warranty. If purchase was done over Aliexpress, unit must be shipped to the seller and it will be repaired.

I can't see how most people buying a $100.00 DAP will want to spend time figuring out filters so is it overkill in a DAP like the M0?

As was said, multiple filters are standard feature of used ESS Sabre SOC. If we didn't include them, I bet you one of first questions would be "where are filters for this SOC?" :)

Excuse this post if it has already been brought up prior, but has anyone experienced hearing noise near the end of a DSD64 .dsf file, like a very short burst of something that sounds like static? This is consistently happening for me across all such files, whether I play back on the M0 directly, or DoP into an external DAC. I'm on fw 2.1. I also fiddled with the gapless setting thinking there might be a correlation, but it didn't make a difference.

Has anyone observed odd things relating to timing and DSD files?
- a .dsf or .dff DSD64 file in the play progress bar shows a length/duration much longer than actual real-time length;
- when the file is being played back, the time elapsed moves at an actual 1-second cadence, but the time counter frequently (and seemingly randomly) will jump two seconds (e.g. counter would show 1,3,4,5,7,8,10,etc)
- SACD .iso will delineate the tracks with the embedded cue and the actual song length, but because of the "accelerated" elapsed time, playback gets cut-off and proceeds to play the next track. Same behavior playing a single .dff (converted from .iso) + cue.

None of these problems are observed with FLAC

FW 2.1

Thanks for pointing this out, I cand efinitely confirm cutting of last part of music when using ISO.
Need to look more into implementation of DoP on M0.

I find myself missing the hardware buttons and side scroll on my A17 so I can scroll by letter in songs and artists.

I really want to love this DAP because of the sound and portability but it simply may not be for me. I may have to wait for Shanling to come out with the next M1 or even M2S with these features and OS and a bigger screen and hopefully more hardware buttons.

There is actually side scroll on M0 when browsing in My Music. But honestly, it needs little bit more work on accuracy.

And I can say, they are devices with bigger touch screen and some hardware buttons coming. Of course they will be significantly bigger and more expensive, so not really comparable to M0.

Hi guys,
News from London CanJam.
Shanling finished producing M1, M2s, M3s. These models will be taken off from their portable range.
The reason is the Shanling made only hardware and third party made the software for their daps. And because of the lot of issue feedback and the non responsible software updates, bug fixes - the Shanling not able to do itself - they cancelled the contract with that company.
From now the Shanling develop the software as well and will be updated well in the future.

Just few corrections.

M1 and M2s will be slowly ending, but there is actually new run of M3s coming in september.
Also, we didn't cancel any contract with HiBy, they are still supposed to be providing support for our players. Simply for future products, there will be no connection with them.

Hey Shanling/Frankie do you guys think you could put in an option for battery life % instead of the bars? If turns red ( too soon ) and yet it has hours and hours left and it’s not exactly accurate.

I realize you guys probably have more important stuff to work on it just freaks me out every time the meter goes red :wink:

Battery indicator is tricky to get right. As you can see, M0 is not accurate and it only works with 5 steps counter. Just imagine the craziness if we would go with 100 steps. So for now, we don't trust % indicator would be improvement, just bring more confusion.

I still need some help though. Having purchased an Android 8 device (Huawei Mate 10 Pro in case it matters) to serve as a source of LDAC stream for the M0, I just fail to achieve any sort of smooth hiccup-free playback. The music is constantly breaking up at anything higher than connection-priority stream @330 kbps. One of the symptoms is when I manually set 16 bit, 44.1 kHz in dev. options on my phone, it somehow reverts to 24/96. Another thing is most interruptions happen with screen on when I do something with the phone, while it's almost fine when the screen is off.

Firstly, I would try to see, how they behave with maximum strength of signal. Put M0 into BT receiver, put it right next to your phone, screen of M0 facing your phone. And if you have hickups on highest LDAC even in this position for max signal, then there will be some bigger problem.

I don't know if cleg has a hidden agenda or a defective M0. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and leave at this - I totally and completely disagree with cleg on his subjective opinions on the M0. You should try the M0 for yourself. It's awesome. Probably the best audio purchase I've made in my life.

I will just say, in world of Hi-Fi, I get greatly different feedback from different people. Like we had one gentleman, always passionately posting randomly under Shanling FB posts, claiming how M3s is super extra warm and bassy (while everybody else thinks it's quite neutral, even dry sounding player). There is no need to be looking for hidden agenda or defective players, sometimes it's just different preferences.

My advice, look into greater number of reviews and impressions. If majority of community says X, it's your choice if you side with them or with the minority saying Y. Sounds logical, but as we saw with Global warming, it's never that easy.

@Shanling, are you guys aware that when usong the m0 as a BT receiver, there is no soind when playing game? Media player works but the moment switch to games, there's no sound?
I tried on 2 diff phones both the same. I tried aac and ldac still no sound

I tried on my Honor 9, running Android 8, with two games I have on my phone and it works without any problem with them. So I would advice checking some settings on your phone?

do you folks know if it's possible to use this DAP as a DAC using UAPP app? Will it be recognized as a external DAC?

It works smoothly as USB DAC with phones, on many even without need for UAPP.

Guys, can we remote control M0 with our phones? Like skipping tracks, fast forwarding or repeating?

Part of future plans for the MTouch system.

Is a inline remote working ?

Unfortunately not, no physical space for needed components.

Hi.
I've noticed that there is no way to know the battery level in bluetooth receiver mode : you have to disconnect to do so ....

Thanks, will tell them to add it.

I have various albums that say files 2 &3 are swapped and 5 & 6 etc. Not all but a random bunch.

We are trying to fix it. So far we noticed, it's caused by the disc number tag. When you delete the disc number tag, files are sorted properly.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jul 25, 2018 at 11:28 PM Post #2,202 of 6,418
This fault is fully covered by warranty. If purchase was done over Aliexpress, unit must be shipped to the seller and it will be repaired.

Thanks for the response. I've shipped it back to the seller 2 days back.

Since it's defective out of the box, I've asked for a new replacement in a different colour rather than repair of the defective unit.

Jul 26, 2018 at 1:13 AM Post #2,204 of 6,418
Hi. What’s the difference between Max Volume under Playback versus Line Out under Settings? Are they the same? Thanks.

Jul 26, 2018 at 1:46 AM Post #2,205 of 6,418
Hi. What’s the difference between Max Volume under Playback versus Line Out under Settings? Are they the same? Thanks.

Going into an external amp, lineout setting is noisy while 100% volume with either low or high gain is dead silent - Line Out mode not recommended on the M0.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back