Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Jan 8, 2019 at 9:40 AM Post #4,291 of 6,413
I recently decided that apart from my usual portable setup, I wanted something specifically tailored to training: as small and light as possible, and still with great sound. I might turn it into a small review series, as it is really interesting to explore what works well for training. My first setup is the Shanling M0 paired with the Final E4000. Great sound with lots of energy and details come through very well, even when running outside.

M0_E4000.png

I have used this for a couple of trainings so far and really like it. I don't (yet) have the clip and found that I could easily put the M0 in the back pocket of my running tights (usually meant for keys, etc) and run the cable along my back. Worked perfectly!

Now I have run into one issue that might, or might not, be possible to solve easily. I had created a carefully selected playlist on my AK70 and even went through the trouble of ordering the tracks so that there was a build up in the music that worked well for strength training. When I created the same playlist for the M0 the tracks ended up in a completely different order (not in the order I added them). Is there a way to arrange the tracks of a playlist?

Jan 8, 2019 at 10:29 AM Post #4,292 of 6,413
Now I have run into one issue that might, or might not, be possible to solve easily. I had created a carefully selected playlist on my AK70 and even went through the trouble of ordering the tracks so that there was a build up in the music that worked well for strength training. When I created the same playlist for the M0 the tracks ended up in a completely different order (not in the order I added them). Is there a way to arrange the tracks of a playlist?

It seems like many of the small DAPs use some sort of embedded Linux under the hood.
They play the tracks in the order that they were copied to the SD card, rather than using some sort of display sorting, like what you see in Windows Explorer (or the Mac equivalent).

When you say you created a Playlist, do you mean an actual .m3u text file?
If so, then the M0 should read that file, and play the tracks in the order that they appear in the file (that's what my M0 does, when it isn't set to shuffle mode).

Jan 8, 2019 at 10:39 AM Post #4,293 of 6,413
It seems like many of the small DAPs use some sort of embedded Linux under the hood.
They play the tracks in the order that they were copied to the SD card, rather than using some sort of display sorting, like what you see in Windows Explorer (or the Mac equivalent).

When you say you created a Playlist, do you mean an actual .m3u text file?
If so, then the M0 should read that file, and play the tracks in the order that they appear in the file (that's what my M0 does, when it isn't set to shuffle mode).
Thanks! No, I did not create a .m3u file, but just created the playlist on the M0 itself by adding tracks. I usually never have playlists, as I always listen to albums and only recently started with them because I wanted to use my music more effectively in training. Is it easy to create .m3u files on a Macbook Pro? (I don't have a Windows PC.) Seems like that would be worth a try.

Jan 8, 2019 at 10:59 AM Post #4,294 of 6,413
Thanks! No, I did not create a .m3u file, but just created the playlist on the M0 itself by adding tracks. I usually never have playlists, as I always listen to albums and only recently started with them because I wanted to use my music more effectively in training. Is it easy to create .m3u files on a Macbook Pro? (I don't have a Windows PC.) Seems like that would be worth a try.

Someone else will have to provide specific Mac usage info - but I did find a link to this $5 Mac OS program, that says it will create m3u files - https://dougscripts.com/apps/m3unifyapp.php
Otherwise - if you place all of the tracks, and the .m3u file in the same folder, you can just create the m3u text file, with lines like this (substituting the actual Track Titles in the lines):
#EXTM3U
Track-Title-First
Track-Title-Second
Track-Title-Last

Jan 8, 2019 at 11:03 AM Post #4,295 of 6,413
Someone else will have to provide specific Mac usage info - but I did find a link to this $5 Mac OS program, that says it will create m3u files - https://dougscripts.com/apps/m3unifyapp.php
Otherwise - if you place all of the tracks, and the .m3u file in the same folder, you can just create the m3u text file, with lines like this (substituting the actual Track Titles in the lines):
#EXTM3U
Track-Title-First
Track-Title-Second
Track-Title-Last
Thanks! I will have a look around.

Jan 8, 2019 at 11:26 AM Post #4,296 of 6,413
Shanling had me send them the file name and turns it is due to an apostrophe that's present in the artist name, and so will try to be have it fixed in an upcoming FW update
Was this apostrophe a standard single quote ' or a fancy pants comma-type apostrophe?

I have no problem here with single quotes in folder names. I'm listening to Gov't Mule on the M0 right now and Gov't Mule is a folder in the pathname of those files.

EDIT: scratch that - it only works in folder browsing. It doesn't work if I go through the Artist list.

The Artist list is something I never use as I have many compilations as well as albums and the Artist list is therefore virtually unusable. We need an Album Artist list!

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #4,297 of 6,413
#EXTM3U
Track-Title-First
Track-Title-Second
Track-Title-Last

I have used M3Unify, which works well although make sure you have the setup correct for the path names and file endings: M3U Path File Delimiter = \ (Rare Circumstances) and M3U Line Endings = CRLF (Windows) seems to work best, and I usually have the EXTM3U gubbins turned off. Although you have to drag the playlist in each time.

If you want something more automatic - like well, iTunes, I recommend Dapper. https://www.map-pin.com/dapper/ - it works off playlists you create in iTunes, looks for a 'Dapper' named playlist or playlist folder. It takes a bit of setup (Shanling DAPs don't have profiles, just use Generic Android), but the Playlists seem to work fine, and it takes a lot of the drudge going from iTunes > DAP.

One I'd really avoid is iSyncer. It caused Kernel Panics and nuked my machine - had to take it to an Apple store to resurrect it! Some going for a Java app, still don't know how they did that - it seems that if the connection to your DAP/card is lost, it goes crazy. The card got corrupted as well, so had to fix that.

I junked it and switched to Dapper - no such problems now.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2019 at 12:07 PM Post #4,298 of 6,413
Here are my playlist settings in Dapper which work with the M0. The rest of the settings are fairly obvious - I have 'Move files rather than copy if possible' set on, but otherwise it's whatever you prefer. The only slightly weird thing is the slider - it's designed for DAPs with two drives (internal and card) so you just put the slider hard left or right then click on the little icon to select your DAP.

(I'd recommend left, mine is to the right cos I originally tried left, removed that, and added it as right and don't want to touch it in case I lose my settings).

Screen Shot 2019-01-08 at 17.02.50 1.png Screen Shot 2019-01-08 at 17.05.15.png

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2019 at 12:22 PM Post #4,299 of 6,413
Just sell it already and move on. Your wants are not their priority, and if you can't deal with the way they do things and their time lines, then just sell it and move on. It's not like this is the first time you've done the whole passive aggressive threatening. It's not the first time you've played the "I own my own business card" either. It's just old.

Sorry but my main want is replaygain which as far as I can tell from other posts is a want that several people have on this thread, probably the most requested missing feature. Not to mention @Shanling said long ago replaygain was one they were looking to add so like others I am simply keeping it in the forefront so it isn't ignored. Who and what am I threatening exactly? That I might sell my M0 if replaygain is not added, how is that a threat to anyone? Shanling already has my money so they shouldn't care what I do or don't do. Why the heck would you care anyway?

I mean come on all @Shanling has to post is yes they are still planning to add replaygain even if there is no eta. That would satisfy me, the more time that goes by without any information the more I am thinking it won't be added. I have never bought a Shanling product before so I don't know how much I can count on them to follow through.

If you aren't concerned about this feature then don't worry about what I post. No one is forcing you to read anything, if you see my avatar just skip the post, problem solved.

Jan 8, 2019 at 1:42 PM Post #4,300 of 6,413
Was this apostrophe a standard single quote ' or a fancy pants comma-type apostrophe?

I have no problem here with single quotes in folder names. I'm listening to Gov't Mule on the M0 right now and Gov't Mule is a folder in the pathname of those files.

EDIT: scratch that - it only works in folder browsing. It doesn't work if I go through the Artist list.

The Artist list is something I never use as I have many compilations as well as albums and the Artist list is therefore virtually unusable. We need an Album Artist list!

Yeah, it's weird. I have rarely seen players that offer an album artist list (Foobar2K mobile app does, and I love the layout), so I have resorted to changing the tags so that the artist tag is actually album artist, and then I can put the song artists in a different tag location (edited into the title, or composer, etc).

Jan 8, 2019 at 6:19 PM Post #4,301 of 6,413
Please send me in PM such file showing problem, I have never seen our system misbehaving on standard letters.(special letters, yeah, we have some things to fix there).
Does that mean that germanic (i.e. german and scandinavian) vowels with diacritics qualify as special letters? I have a lot of erroneous displays of such characters during playback, be it not consistently and not in file names in directory listings.
Besides, would you consider correcting simple typos in system texts in future updates?

Cheers,
Anton
Edit: reformatting

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2019 at 8:33 PM Post #4,302 of 6,413
soo..i dropped my M0 today and it fell pretty hard, the screen busted out from the body but still attached, i quickly put it back together and tried to turn it on....no success :frowning2:
from what i see i have two options, either:
1-someone help me to open M0 again and figure out how to fix it.
2-Shanling come to my rescue and fix my device or replace it.

please.....help.... :frowning2:

Can send you PDF with simple instructions how to take M0 apart. But it would be up to you to figure out what's broken by your accident (screen? some cables? wheel button? battery connection?). Might be something easy, might be something demanding brand new parts.

We are able to fix any unit that is send to us, but when you add all the shipping fees and taxes, it might be cheaper to buy new unit.

Anyone use the Shanling M0 as a bluetooth receiver for a larger DAP? Thinking the Shanling M0 might have a place if I ever upgrade as just a bluetooth receiver, so my bigger DAC can sit in my gym bag and the Shanling can be clipped to me.

This would be no problem for M0, it doesn't care if it's fed BT from cheap phone or super expensive DAP.

Only problem is Sony players, they demand some other BT profiles M0 doesn't have, so you are not able to connect them.

Does anyone have any issues with the volume suddenly going down to 0?

It has happened 3 or 4 times since I got my M0 at launch, at first I thought I just hooked the wheel somehow, but today while sitting down perfectly still the volume went all the way down to 0 on it's own while I was watching the wheel being perfectly still.
Not an issue yet, but it has me worried if this will become more frequent as time goes by...

That is unique and never heard about such behavior. If you see any pattern or something causing it, definitely send me more info.

It was stupid mistake by our software team. It's now fixed on M5s, so should be coming to M0 in firmware update.

Sorry but my main want is replaygain which as far as I can tell from other posts is a want that several people have on this thread, probably the most requested missing feature. Not to mention @Shanling said long ago replaygain was one they were looking to add so like others I am simply keeping it in the forefront so it isn't ignored. Who and what am I threatening exactly? That I might sell my M0 if replaygain is not added, how is that a threat to anyone? Shanling already has my money so they shouldn't care what I do or don't do. Why the heck would you care anyway?

I mean come on all @Shanling has to post is yes they are still planning to add replaygain even if there is no eta. That would satisfy me, the more time that goes by without any information the more I am thinking it won't be added. I have never bought a Shanling product before so I don't know how much I can count on them to follow through.

If you aren't concerned about this feature then don't worry about what I post. No one is forcing you to read anything, if you see my avatar just skip the post, problem solved.

Yes, replygain is still on list of features to add.

Does that mean that germanic (i.e. german and scandinavian) vowels with diacritics qualify as special letters? I have a lot of erroneous displays of such characters during playback, be it not consistently and not in file names in directory listings.
Besides, would you consider correcting simple typos in system texts in future updates?

Yes, current fonts used has problems with some European languages using special symbols(that applies for diacritics).
Can send me in PM some notes for the translations, they are done by our distributors, but of course there might be mistakes.

Last edited:
Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jan 9, 2019 at 1:57 AM Post #4,303 of 6,413
Can send you PDF with simple instructions how to take M0 apart. But it would be up to you to figure out what's broken by your accident (screen? some cables? wheel button? battery connection?). Might be something easy, might be something demanding brand new parts.

We are able to fix any unit that is send to us, but when you add all the shipping fees and taxes, it might be cheaper to buy new unit.

This would be no problem for M0, it doesn't care if it's fed BT from cheap phone or super expensive DAP.

Only problem is Sony players, they demand some other BT profiles M0 doesn't have, so you are not able to connect them.

That is unique and never heard about such behavior. If you see any pattern or something causing it, definitely send me more info.

It was stupid mistake by our software team. It's now fixed on M5s, so should be coming to M0 in firmware update.

Yes, replygain is still on list of features to add.

Thank you very much for the update on replaygain, looking forward to it being added in the future

Yes, current fonts used has problems with some European languages using special symbols(that applies for diacritics).
Can send me in PM some notes for the translations, they are done by our distributors, but of course there might be mistakes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back