Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Oct 20, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #3,676 of 6,418
No go for external playlist

Using Media Monkey to sync the playlist to the M0 and manually editing the path to match @Shanling suggestion I still get File Not Found error.

1. Created Playlists folder at root
2. Synced the playlist from Media Monkey
3. updated the path to each track as eg ..\music\Five For Fighting\Bookmarks\03. Rebel.flac. Media Monkey syncs the playlist.m3u to the playlists folder but leaves off the .. which I added in front of each track entry. All other path information is correct. Media Monkey also of course adds all the playlist tracks again even thought they are already on the M0 so I would need to delete duplicate tracks.

Would appreciate it if someone could post an actual path to a working playlist on their M0. This is assuming a standard folder hierarchy of music\artist\album\track

I have to say this frustration makes me miss the simplicity of creating playlists on my A17 using MediaGo software. Even if I can get the path figured out having to manually edit the path to every track on every playlist would suck not to mention duplicate tracks. External playlists is a feature I really want to have but doing this much work every time may not be worth it. I might have to give the Sony A55 a serious look once it is released.

Oddgravity playlist creator can do relative playlists.

Relative playlists looks like this

...\folder\track01.flac

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2018 at 10:25 AM Post #3,677 of 6,418
Does MediaMonkey's "use relative paths" option not provide the correct path automatically? Also, maybe check or uncheck the "Linux file separator" option?

There is no option to set relative paths in Media Monkey that I can find. I checked online and there was mention of needing to create a script in Media Monkey to support relative paths. I am using the free version as I have only started using it and didn't want to buy it until I was sure it would work for me.

If there is an option in the latest version can you tell me where I can find the option? My only experience with external playlist is with Sony and they do all the work for you. Trying to get a third party program to do it is completely new to me.

Oct 20, 2018 at 10:43 AM Post #3,680 of 6,418
What you are trying to do sounds very complicated. But my folder set up might be quite different.

I have a Flac and an Mp3 dir in th root of my sd card. In each I have various dirs, one for each album.

In foobar2000 I add some of the album dirs to the player and save those as an m3u file in either the Flac or the Mp3 dir (so same level as the album dirs). In your example the .m3u playlist file would end up in the music dir. No need for ..\ in the m3u, all albums are relatove to the m3u file. If you want it in your playlist dir you need the ..\music\ prefix indeed. I do not sync or anything, just save/copy the m3u file. No idea whst synching would even do.

I open the .m3u file in folder mode by just clicking it.

I am using a standard folder structure, artist\album\track, not sure why you say it is complicated. It is the exact same structure I use on my A17 for playlists without issue.

I have a number of program suggestions from people including oddgravity, foobar 2000 and musicbee. I don't have the time to devote to trying these programs right now and was hoping to get a few created with Media Monkey to try out.

I had no problem opening the playlist under folders. But when I try to play a track from it I get the "file not found" error message. I will play around with it some more when I have more time. Worst case I just forget about and stick to playling playlists from my home system. Just found out that Sony DAP's still don't play ogg vorbis files and I converted alot of my old tracks to ogg to play on the M0. So if I did get an A55 I would have to convert alot of files again.

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated

Oct 20, 2018 at 10:44 AM Post #3,681 of 6,418
Does MediaMonkey's "use relative paths" option not provide the correct path automatically? Also, maybe check or uncheck the "Linux file separator" option?

I have looked through all the Media Monkey settings and kind find one for relative paths

Oct 20, 2018 at 11:16 AM Post #3,683 of 6,418
I am using a standard folder structure, artist\album\track, not sure why you say it is complicated. It is the exact same structure I use on my A17 for playlists without issue.

I am not saying the structure is complicated but the process. I have never synchronized a thing in my life.

Hopefully you can find a tool that works for you.

Oct 20, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #3,684 of 6,418
Hi Shanling and all
Two questions, maybe the same:
1- when updating from 2.1 to 2.2, ¿do you lose what was already configured and customized?
2- ¿there is any way to make a backup of the current configuration?

(posted for second time)

Oct 20, 2018 at 11:55 AM Post #3,685 of 6,418
@Phyag I updated to 2.2, and I did not notice any loss in my configuration/custom settings... kept on listening to music just the way I was before updating. On the basis of somebody advising it might be better, I did rebuild my music database too, but I did not notice a NEED for it - just did it a bit after updating, as somebody said it might be better

Oct 20, 2018 at 12:02 PM Post #3,686 of 6,418
I have looked through all the Media Monkey settings and kind find one for relative paths
It's under the options for when you set up a device to sync.
Playlist_MediaMonkey.png

Oct 20, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #3,687 of 6,418
@Phyag I updated to 2.2, and I did not notice any loss in my configuration/custom settings... kept on listening to music just the way I was before updating. On the basis of somebody advising it might be better, I did rebuild my music database too, but I did not notice a NEED for it - just did it a bit after updating, as somebody said it might be better
So many Thanks for your answer, I will follow your advice !!

Oct 20, 2018 at 3:06 PM Post #3,688 of 6,418
I appreciate that and I understand you are hearing similarities. It is still somewhat surprising to me they achieved this on such different hardware. But I suppose if that is what Shanling is designing for, they better have some continuity going so that makes sense.

I was refering to this: Deep of bass reach (not superbly deep, but for this price, excellent)

Not sure what 'Deep of bass reach' exactly is, I am fairly new to the vocabulary used in audio reviews, but I read it as a bass-related quality that apparently gets better with more expensive devices.

Ah, makes sense. Deep reach of bass means that the lows are heard well, and reach lower in frequency. Sometimes (to me), bass is given up at the less expensive range for DAP’s (I have one on hand now that is fairly anemic bass-wise and it is cheap). By reaches down low, that means the bass extension goes low and can be readily heard (think rumble or near-rumble).

With regard to price, I really cannot say that bass reach can or is better the more you spend. Hope this helps. Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back