Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Sep 18, 2018 at 1:44 PM Post #3,197 of 6,413
Sep 18, 2018 at 4:45 PM Post #3,198 of 6,413
Here we go - I and aleXmod presents:

Shanling M0 custom firmware based on v2.1: link

- Highly optimized graphics, font and binaries for maximum speed;
- English and Russian language strings was corrected/added;

Enjoy.

I appreciate that this firmware modification was offered. I tried the link and it does not seem to be available anymore. Can somebody provide some guidance on this?

Sep 18, 2018 at 9:30 PM Post #3,199 of 6,413
Not sure if I missed it in the options, but one I would like to see added is a "pause music when headphones unplugged"option added.

Music pauses when headphones are unplugged. You want setting to turn this off?

Actually you can encode dsd64 into 24bit 176.4khz and save that file as FLAC. It will give noise with incompatible dac but with compatible dac it will decoded back to dsd. It is similar to dsd dop but in the form of saved FLAC file. If external dac is not able to decode it means the player is messing with the dsd flags and output is no more bit perfect.

Honestly, this is first time I hear about such way of storing DSD files, it might be simple our system is not set up to sort such FLAC files in this way. Can you send me one such files over PM to test?

Could you reply to this one please Shanling?

Re Native transport, it's simply missing in our system for now, since it was showing problems during testing. It can maybe help in theory, in practice it was showing problems.

Also, not sure about what clicks and pops are you talking, we are aware of problem when using USB out, but I think most users are playing DSD 64 DoP just fine.

To the Hi-Res certification, I didn't say the ESS9218p is Hi-Res certified. Just that if you want more detailed info on technical capabilities of amplifier build into ESS SoC, go and ask ESS.

Shanling M0 is certified for Hi-Res certification exactly by the conditions set up by JAS.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Sep 19, 2018 at 1:14 AM Post #3,200 of 6,413
Music pauses when headphones are unplugged. You want setting to turn this off?

Honestly, this is first time I hear about such way of storing DSD files, it might be simple our system is not set up to sort such FLAC files in this way. Can you send me one such files over PM to test?

Re Native transport, it's simply missing in our system for now, since it was showing problems during testing. It can maybe help in theory, in practice it was showing problems.

Also, not sure about what clicks and pops are you talking, we are aware of problem when using USB out, but I think most users are playing DSD 64 DoP just fine.

To the Hi-Res certification, I didn't say the ESS9218p is Hi-Res certified. Just that if you want more detailed info on technical capabilities of amplifier build into ESS SoC, go and ask ESS.

Shanling M0 is certified for Hi-Res certification exactly by the conditions set up by JAS.

The sound is at the beginning of every DSD64 DSD file I play and was not present in another player for those files that use native transport.

Interesting that you now say you had problems with native transport when earlier you claimed that the chip didn't do native.

Is the M0 certified as a DAC or as a DAP or both? I can't see how it can be certified as a DAP without testing to 40khz?

Sep 19, 2018 at 1:39 AM Post #3,201 of 6,413
The sound is at the beginning of every DSD64 DSD file I play and was not present in another player for those files that use native transport.

Interesting that you now say you had problems with native transport when earlier you claimed that the chip didn't do native.

Is the M0 certified as a DAC or as a DAP or both? I can't see how it can be certified as a DAP without testing to 40khz?

So the sound is before the file starts or during first few seconds of song?

It's certified as DAP. Certification was done according to the JAS conditions.

As I said in post few pages bag, I just overlooked in spec sheet. Later I discussed it more with engineers.

I apologize, my mistake, I overlooked in Datasheet of 9218P, it has DSD and DoP, not DoP and D2P as I though.

So yes, ES9218p can do native transport, sorry for confusion.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Sep 19, 2018 at 2:05 AM Post #3,202 of 6,413
So the sound is before the file starts or during first few seconds of song?

It's certified as DAP. Certification was done according to the JAS conditions.

As I said in post few pages bag, I just overlooked in spec sheet. Later I discussed it more with engineers.

Before the track starts. I believe it is the switch between PCM and DSD. Happens on both DoP and D2P but that makes sense as the only difference is that the DSD is being sent to an on-the-fly transcoder with D2P and then using the PCM side of the DAC. Not read further into the DAC but is it multi bit and delta sigma on the PCM side?

On the certification do you send a DAP to them for them to test it and confirm it meets their specifications? I'm seriously baffled as to how you don't need to test frequency range to 40khz in the amplifier stage of the chip as that is clearly a stipulation of theirs.

Sep 19, 2018 at 4:50 AM Post #3,203 of 6,413
Just watched the video demo of the MTouch 2.0 for M5S. They made some nice improvements to version 1.0, hope we some of it make it into the M0.

Sep 19, 2018 at 5:11 AM Post #3,204 of 6,413

Oh my good does that mean if the M0 can't play to 40 Khz and doesn't have HiRes audio certification it will suddenly sound like crap? Please I need to know, my entire DAP buying future depends on the answer!! :L3000: :ksc75smile:

Sep 19, 2018 at 5:53 AM Post #3,205 of 6,413
Oh my good does that mean if the M0 can't play to 40 Khz and doesn't have HiRes audio certification it will suddenly sound like crap? Please I need to know, my entire DAP buying future depends on the answer!! :L3000: :ksc75smile:

How it sounds is entirely up to you and is subjective to the individual. I wouldn't worry yourself :wink:. I am asking legitimate questions but if you like the sound of your M0 don't waste your time replying to my messages, use it to listen to your M0.

Sep 19, 2018 at 6:29 AM Post #3,206 of 6,413
How it sounds is entirely up to you and is subjective to the individual. I wouldn't worry yourself :wink:. I am asking legitimate questions but if you like the sound of your M0 don't waste your time replying to my messages, use it to listen to your M0.

Sorry but I am referring to being able to play to a frequency you can't hear and whether it is HiRes certified or not. Neither of which to me will affect how it sounds at audible frequencies. If they took away the HiRes certification does that mean you will get rid of your M0?

Sounds to me like you are worrying enough for the both of us!

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2018 at 7:44 AM Post #3,207 of 6,413
On the certification do you send a DAP to them for them to test it and confirm it meets their specifications? I'm seriously baffled as to how you don't need to test frequency range to 40khz in the amplifier stage of the chip as that is clearly a stipulation of theirs.

What are you trying to achieve?

Not saying Wikipedia is truth but: High-resolution audio, also known as High-definition audio or HD audio, is a marketing term used by some recorded-music retailers and high-fidelity sound reproduction equipment vendors. It refers to higher than 44.1 kHz sample rate and/or higher than 16-bit linear bit depth.

M0 displays a little Hi-Res image when the sample rate is 48kHz or higher.

You should write to the Japan Audio Society if you feel their certifcation is not strict enough.

Sep 19, 2018 at 7:45 AM Post #3,208 of 6,413
Sorry but I am referring to being able to play to a frequency you can't hear and whether it is HiRes certified or not. Neither of which to me will affect how it sounds at audible frequencies. If they took away the HiRes certification does that mean you will get rid of your M0?

Sounds to me like you are worrying enough for the both of us!

I did purchase the M0 to be capable of playing my Hi-Res PCM and DSD music.

It does play both but I am intrigued as to the Hi-Res Certification process as there is an anomaly which I think is only fair to challenge and my DSDs playback imperfectly as Shanling haven't utilised the native transport that the chip is capable of.

I am returning or selling mine as it doesn't tick all my boxes. This is a personal decision and should not affect your own enjoyment of your device. Have a good day.

Sep 19, 2018 at 7:50 AM Post #3,209 of 6,413
What are you trying to achieve?

Not saying Wikipedia is truth but: High-resolution audio, also known as High-definition audio or HD audio, is a marketing term used by some recorded-music retailers and high-fidelity sound reproduction equipment vendors. It refers to higher than 44.1 kHz sample rate and/or higher than 16-bit linear bit depth.

M0 displays a little Hi-Res image when the sample rate is 48kHz or higher.

You should write to the Japan Audio Society if you feel their certifcation is not strict enough.

I've been quite clear here and so has Shanling in their response. There is a page from the society that clearly stipulates the parameters for the certification. Look back at the thread some more and you will see that Shanling posted a link.

Sep 19, 2018 at 8:01 AM Post #3,210 of 6,413
I've been quite clear here and so has Shanling in their response. There is a page from the society that clearly stipulates the parameters for the certification. Look back at the thread some more and you will see that Shanling posted a link.

I know the link, I have read most of the english part of their site because of the discussion here.

I assume you are refering to the items listed under 'Analogue process'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back