Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Sep 13, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #3,121 of 6,413
Totally
Hi res files have been supported for a good while now. The mastering of the source file is more important than hi res in my opinion.
But like I said all modern dacs support hi res formats and files. Lots of people say they can’t hear a difference, so that’s up to the individual. What I’m saying is your not paying a premium for the hi res certification, a good amplification implementation is more important as is the low pass filter.

And the M0 is pretty damn cheap for the build, sound and features in a tiny package.

Agreed the mastering is paramount. I have laid off Hi-Res for last few years as I found the provenance of much Hi-Res to be questionable. That said some of the better masters I have are in Hi-Res formats.

Also agree that the quality of the components are more important than the technical spec/ability to play infinite high resolution.

So far I'm finding what others have said earlier in the thread in that I'd like a bit more bass not masses but a touch. If we are not caring about the resolution then I find some of these Hi-Res players too focussed on a sound signature that is revealing rather than engaging.

Sep 13, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #3,122 of 6,413
Without getting caught up in a prolonged debate, what's the point in the DAC being Hi-Res (and DSD) compliant if the frequency of this thing is on a par with a CD player? Fiio players are all frequency of at least 40khz and mostly higher.

Why pay the premium for a Hi-Res player if you don't care for it?

Perhaps the amplifier part of the M0 might only go up to 20khz, but the Digital to Analog converter part will probably top out at close to half the sampling rate, such as 48khz for a 24/96 track. The brick wall filter at CD sampling rates can still affect frequencies in the audio band, and by using higher sampling rates like 24/96 that can be avoided even if the M0 amplifier has an analog roll off beyond 20khz.

Sep 13, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #3,123 of 6,413
Totally

Agreed the mastering is paramount. I have laid off Hi-Res for last few years as I found the provenance of much Hi-Res to be questionable. That said some of the better masters I have are in Hi-Res formats.

Also agree that the quality of the components are more important than the technical spec/ability to play infinite high resolution.

So far I'm finding what others have said earlier in the thread in that I'd like a bit more bass not masses but a touch. If we are not caring about the resolution then I find some of these Hi-Res players too focussed on a sound signature that is revealing rather than engaging.

What iems and cans you use are going to dictate that also. Shanling is supposed to implement a custom EQ in a future firmware update so that should help you get some more bottom end in your sound. I’m using ak t8ie mkii which have a really nice bass response and helps with the engaging musical sound. I haven’t messed with any of the preset Eq settings myself- but I prefer user Eq anyways.

M0is very close to neutral. The clarity is really good and the noise is very low.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #3,127 of 6,413
Sure but my point is simply this...

Hi-Res Certification requires 40khz frequency in the amplifier/analogue side of the device.

The specs only state 20khz. Further reading on their website say 20hz-20khz (-0.5dB).

I'm not debating the merits of Hi-Res, just whether this thing is legitimately Hi-Res Certified. Chinese products have a tendency to award/certify themselves...

HiRes certification simply means the player can play the HiRes files not that it can actually play the files at frequencies only dogs can hear. Hey my dog loves "Who Let The Dogs Out" put on the 40 Khz version so he can rock out. :ksc75smile:

Sep 13, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #3,130 of 6,413
Got you so possibly it may do 40khz at -3dB for example but they haven't referenced it as such as -0.5dB at 20khz means something?
This depends on the output stage performance or the headphone amp section basically. As long as it doesn't deviate (from flat) beyond what we consider audible or noticible to our ears, it's fine.

As long as the amp is within reasonable flatness to 20k. We good. No need to worry about what dogs can hear or not (how was it recorded? I'm sure the recording don't stretch that far, the equipment used have limitations).

As you can see, our main concern is what matters most, our hearing range, up to 20k. There other limits as well. The music file's bit rate, and it's mastering quality. The DAP recognizes the file formate and decodes accordingly to it's original sampling or you can have it upsample (or artifically raise the bit rate), but I personally don't like upsample.

Quality of the recording makes a big difference.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2018 at 1:29 PM Post #3,132 of 6,413
-The DSD album that I've put on there has clicks or pops before each track starts. They are DSF files made from an ISO back in 2015 and I don't recall the clicks or pops being an issue back then with my Fiio X3ii but I sold it and haven't done DSD since. Is this a known issue with the M0 or is it my files?
Same here. With or without gapless enabled. Freshly made .dsf's using Sonore's ISO2DSD (that uses the latest sacd_extract.exe). It's kind of a disappointment for me after buying a DAP that advertises itself as being HiRes certified, plays DSD and does gapless.

Here's what Shanling said about it:
DSD is quite challenging, so the gapless doesn't work properly with it for now.
EQ is disabled for all Hi-Res files.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #3,133 of 6,413
Exactly, the hi res certification 20hz to 40lhz/80khz is a marketing ploy. And all players are hi res nowadays by definition.

Unless they plan to market DAP's for dogs then why worry if it plays to 40 Khz. That's how you get people to plop down obscene amounts of money for the A&K DAP's and Sony WMZ's out there. Convince gullible people that it matters and take their money. I am a little ashamed that I did just that for 15 years selling insanely expensive audio gear to incredibly naive and uninformed customers. That twaddle the sales guys use to peddle who make you guys cringe. If I was still selling when HiRes became a thing I could
HiRes certification simply means the player can play the HiRes files not that it can actually play the files at frequencies only dogs can hear. Hey my dog loves "Who Let The Dogs Out" put on the 40 Khz version so he can rock out. :ksc75smile:

Yes I am oversimplifying it but without diving into the minutia of the whole HiRes mess of specs etc.. which I have done and regret since I will never get those wasted hours back. I sold insanely expensive audio gear to gullible customers based on these nutty figures. Back then we called it high fidelity, now they call HiRes, different name, same con job. Still amazes me how this stuff keeps coming back every couple of decades. Can't wait to see what the call it next.

Sorry for the weird post my internet connection went flaky and I didn't think the first part of the post got saved, then it added to instead of creating another post

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #3,134 of 6,413
Unless they plan to market DAP's for dogs then why worry if it plays to 40 Khz. That's how you get people to plop down obscene amounts of money for the A&K DAP's and Sony WMZ's out there. Convince gullible people that it matters and take their money. I am a little ashamed that I did just that for 15 years selling insanely expensive audio gear to incredibly naive and uninformed customers. That twaddle the sales guys use to peddle who make you guys cringe. If I was still selling when HiRes became a thing I could

Yes I am oversimplifying it but without diving into the minutia of the whole HiRes mess of specs etc.. which I have done and regret since I will never get those wasted hours back. I sold insanely expensive audio gear to gullible customers based on these nutty figures. Back then we called it high fidelity, now they call HiRes, different name, same con job. Still amazes me how this stuff keeps coming back every couple of decades. Can't wait to see what the call it next.

Sorry for the weird post my internet connection went flaky and I didn't think the first part of the post got saved, then it added to instead of creating another post

Could agree with you more. A part of the industry needs something new to sell every year and they do it by creating things like Hi-Res and MQA. Other companies do it by creating real value. I think Shanling does that. My new M0 is just a pleasure and worth far more than its price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back