Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Sep 13, 2018 at 10:29 AM Post #3,106 of 6,413
You can't hear beyond 20k, but high res files go beyond that due to sampling rate. If it's compatable with sampling rate of 80khz or above, it meets that criteria which I have no doubt M0 does given all formats it supports.

Also consider your hearing range as well (it doesn't go up to 20k if old enough) considering your age.

That Hi Res is just marketing. It's meaningless.

Sure but my point is simply this...

Hi-Res Certification requires 40khz frequency in the amplifier/analogue side of the device.

The specs only state 20khz. Further reading on their website say 20hz-20khz (-0.5dB).

I'm not debating the merits of Hi-Res, just whether this thing is legitimately Hi-Res Certified. Chinese products have a tendency to award/certify themselves...

Sep 13, 2018 at 10:31 AM Post #3,107 of 6,413

Hi-Res Certification requires 40khz frequency in the amplifier/analogue side of the device.

The specs only state 20khz. Further reading on their website say 20hz-20khz (-0.5dB).

I'm not debating the merits of Hi-Res, just whether this thing is legitimately Hi-Res Certified. Chinese products have a tendency to award/certify themselves...
I think what @SilverEars means is that we couldn't care less. It doesnt make any difference to us

Sep 13, 2018 at 10:37 AM Post #3,108 of 6,413

Can’t see Shanling doing this, they’ve been making audio gear for 30 years. I’m sure they got their certification legitimately. I’m sure they will chime in about this. If it bothers you you don’t have to put the sticker on :wink:

Sep 13, 2018 at 11:19 AM Post #3,112 of 6,413
Leaving aside the certification what about the clicks/poppy DSD files? Have others experienced this with the M0 please?

I’ve had no problems myself, and of course that problem doesn’t have anything to do with hi res certification, the dac can easily handle those files. I do think someone else mentioned the same thing and Shanling either tried to reproduce it, or said they would fix it. More likely a problem with how they were decided.

And no one really cares because the hi res certification really doesn’t mean much tbh. Oh and I didn’t get a sticker either :)

Sep 13, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #3,113 of 6,413
I’ve had no problems myself, and of course that problem doesn’t have anything to do with hi res certification, the dac can easily handle those files. I do think someone else mentioned the same thing and Shanling either tried to reproduce it, or said they would fix it. More likely a problem with how they were decided.

And no one really cares because the hi res certification really doesn’t mean much tbh. Oh and I didn’t get a sticker either :)

Without getting caught up in a prolonged debate, what's the point in the DAC being Hi-Res (and DSD) compliant if the frequency of this thing is on a par with a CD player? Fiio players are all frequency of at least 40khz and mostly higher.

Why pay the premium for a Hi-Res player if you don't care for it?

Sep 13, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #3,114 of 6,413
It's about the formats, bit depth and sampling rate it is (that's what the player plays). CD or FLAC is 16/44.1khz which the odd sampling value was chosen for some practical reason.

And people think CD is superior quality at 16/44.1khz. Whatever value floats your boat.

Look at amp measurements and where it rolls off.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #3,115 of 6,413
Leaving aside the certification what about the clicks/poppy DSD files? Have others experienced this with the M0 please?
Welcome to Head-Fi.

At the top right of this page is a search box. If you type 'DSD' into the box and click the option 'search this thread only', your question will be answered.

Sep 13, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #3,116 of 6,413
It's about the formats, bit depth and sampling rate it is (that's what the player plays). CD or FLAC is 16/44.1khz which the odd sampling value was chosen for some practical reason.

And people think CD is superior quality at 16/44.1khz

Exactly, the hi res certification 20hz to 40lhz/80khz is a marketing ploy. And all players are hi res nowadays by definition.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #3,118 of 6,413

And people think CD is superior quality at 16/44.1khz. Whatever value floats your boat.

0.5dB roll off is from about 17khz I think, not got it to hand right now but looked at one last night....

Sep 13, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #3,120 of 6,413
Ok just so I can understand your perspective, are Hi-Res files themselves also marketing ploy?

Hi res files have been supported for a good while now. The mastering of the source file is more important than hi res in my opinion.
But like I said all modern dacs support hi res formats and files. Lots of people say they can’t hear a difference, so that’s up to the individual. What I’m saying is your not paying a premium for the hi res certification, a good amplification implementation is more important as is the low pass filter.

And the M0 is pretty damn cheap for the build, sound and features in a tiny package.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back