Shanling H7 - High-End Portable DAC/AMP/Player, Featuring new AKM AK4499EX Flagship DAC
Jul 11, 2023 at 7:08 AM Post #886 of 1,119
Balanced output is bit better than SE, but we definitely wouldn't call the SE performance "that bad". It definitely wasn't designed only for balanced output.

For the comment on computer, I meant to test H7 with a computer, in comparison with using your smartphone as a source.
Unfortunately, it's still the same. Shanling H7 does sound a little bit more pleasant than my smartphone, but I still lack the difference in the quantity and quality of detail.
I want to mention that I have no doubt in the quality of Shanling H7 or my headphones. And I really do like the sound signature of this device, in fact it is exactly what I setup in my phone via the equalizer. I just lack the analytical detail that I would expect from one of the most expensive portable dac/amps on the market.

I'm starting to think that my perception of sound is probably too amateur to the mature sound of H7. What I mainly am listening to in order to compare H7 vs phone is the 2021 remaster of Nightwish - Once album.

All files are 24 bit 44.1 kHz. Haven't yet tried to listen to a higher sample rate or DSD. Could you please recommend me a track or an album for comparison? Something that the H7 would squeeze all the juice from and vice-versa

Jul 12, 2023 at 4:57 AM Post #887 of 1,119
I've tried a vast variety of different tracks in most different genres.
The H7 actually did blossom in electronic and pop (but not hip-hop) music. Probably it was originally my mistake to judge its performance by listening to rock, opera and orchestra. Now I get it. The H7 is more about fun than sharpness. I expected the combination of both from a flagship, but yet I'm satisfied.
Just to mention, this subjective opinion of mine is at variance with the majority of reviews.
I'll try to recheck once my balanced cable arrives.

Jul 12, 2023 at 6:13 AM Post #888 of 1,119
i have been using H7 from last 6 months.

This is one of the best dac combo amp i have listened to and its much better than DX300, SHANLING M7, M8, M6 ULTRA in terms of SQ.

The only dissappointment is its USB C CONNECTORS DESIGN. they dont feel strong.
Only few cables like DDHIFI and FIIO fits well.

Jul 12, 2023 at 4:26 PM Post #889 of 1,119
I agree ultimately with Currawong, I would prefer if manufacturers of audio electronics, especially those designed for iems, just made better se outputs instead of balanced outputs. That's just not necessary or even sometimes, beneficial, for iems.

Jul 14, 2023 at 3:07 PM Post #890 of 1,119
I've tried a vast variety of different tracks in most different genres.
The H7 actually did blossom in electronic and pop (but not hip-hop) music. Probably it was originally my mistake to judge its performance by listening to rock, opera and orchestra. Now I get it. The H7 is more about fun than sharpness. I expected the combination of both from a flagship, but yet I'm satisfied.
Just to mention, this subjective opinion of mine is at variance with the majority of reviews.
I'll try to recheck once my balanced cable arrives.
You are right, it will take time for you to appreciate H7.It is a nice device for seasoned audiophiles who want to take a break from detail monster sources.In my case it took h7 more than 150 hours to break in and i always use balanced.I didnt even like it on my first listen. After some time i compared it with some top of the line dongles and some midrange daps and i noticed that h7 is superior to all those.Its a peculiar dacamp its like a cool guy and you only notice its greatness when comparing with other sources.Its very synergy dependent also.I prefer sd and bt mode.Stock shanling usb cable is trash and i immediately noticed sound difference with ddhifi usb cable.Now the only con for me is the missing balanced lineout option. For your use case i think you should have gone with fiio q7.

Jul 14, 2023 at 3:13 PM Post #891 of 1,119
You are right, it will take time for you to appreciate H7.It is a nice device for seasoned audiophiles who want to take a break from detail monster sources.In my case it took h7 more than 150 hours to break in and i always use balanced.I didnt even like it on my first listen. After some time i compared it with some top of the line dongles and some midrange daps and i noticed that h7 is superior to all those.Its a peculiar dacamp its like a cool guy and you only notice its greatness when comparing with other sources.Its very synergy dependent also.I prefer sd and bt mode.Stock shanling usb cable is trash and i immediately noticed sound difference with ddhifi usb cable.Now the only con for me is the missing balanced lineout option. For your use case i think you should have gone with fiio q7.
I considered q7, but was corrupted by the micro sd slot. The irony is, I haven't tried it yet as I don't have a card, but I'll get it in no time. Thanks for the tip though, I didn't think the usb cable could be the problem

Jul 14, 2023 at 5:14 PM Post #892 of 1,119
Its all about pairing. I love my KK with it as it gives enough treble presence where i enjoy everything with it.
It does not work with dark or warm iems for me.
Once you get the synergy right. You get to appreciate its technical performance unmatched in this price range

Jul 15, 2023 at 2:41 AM Post #893 of 1,119
It seem h7 does not pair well with ie900 ... anyone have this combo before?

Jul 15, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #894 of 1,119
I considered q7, but was corrupted by the micro sd slot. The irony is, I haven't tried it yet as I don't have a card, but I'll get it in no time. Thanks for the tip though, I didn't think the usb cable could be the problem
The usb cable is fine no problem but the quality is not good.Try quality aftermaket one's and you will immediately notice a sound quality improvement.

Jul 15, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #895 of 1,119
Its all about pairing. I love my KK with it as it gives enough treble presence where i enjoy everything with it.
It does not work with dark or warm iems for me.
Once you get the synergy right. You get to appreciate its technical performance unmatched in this price range
Yes absolutely H7 is highly synergy picky. In my experience anything with upper mid spike will be problematic with H7.Pair it with the right iem/hp its fantastic for the price.

Jul 15, 2023 at 2:17 PM Post #896 of 1,119
It seem h7 does not pair well with ie900 ... anyone have this combo before?
Received my H7 today. The unboxing experience was very minimal, would have been very happy if it was with a leather case which is definitely required for this master piece.

Intial sound impressions: Got the wow factor after many months probably after a IERZ1R and now again. Every song I played put a smile on my face.

Paired with SENN IE 900, FIIO FDX, FINAL AUDIO E5000. All 3 sounded well and bought the glory back for my picky IE900 😉 which was not having synerygy with chord mojo 2.

Excellent SQ, sound stage and very powerful.

I previosly owned SHANLING M8, Ibasso DX300 - amp 11, amp 12, amp 13. At present, I own chord mojo 2, Fiio K7.

Out of all, I loved shanling M8 the most, now H7 which is a much upgrade for me interms of SQ from M8. H7 is not as warm as M8, but this will be the upgrade for any one who loves M8 to the core of the heart ( atleast for me 😊).
Maybe he can help

Jul 17, 2023 at 4:16 AM Post #897 of 1,119
Did anyone here tried FiR XE6 or RN6 with their H7? If so, how's their synergy?

Jul 18, 2023 at 4:09 AM Post #898 of 1,119
I have Shanling H7 and it sounds great in as portable source. For my taste it is better than Chord Mojo 2, ifi iDSD Signature and Shanling M8 which I have had too.
But there is a problem with it because when I turn on I have no sound on headphones. I have to restart (turn off and back turn on) to get the sound. Firmware update from 1.4 to 1.5 didn't solve that. Is someone else have experienced same issue ?

Jul 22, 2023 at 10:49 PM Post #899 of 1,119
Hi all, just bought this a week ago and loving it and may have found a power savings feature, I am using USB to my Macbook, once I stop playing audio for around 10 seconds, the unit enters standby mode. The LED indicator is no longer lit, once audio resumes, the LED gets lit again but theres an audio delay of 2 seconds. This lag is not present using TOSLINK though. Is this an intended design or did I get a faulty unit? This delay is annoying and would be nice if I can turn it off.

Jul 23, 2023 at 3:42 AM Post #900 of 1,119
Hi all, just bought this a week ago and loving it and may have found a power savings feature, I am using USB to my Macbook, once I stop playing audio for around 10 seconds, the unit enters standby mode. The LED indicator is no longer lit, once audio resumes, the LED gets lit again but theres an audio delay of 2 seconds. This lag is not present using TOSLINK though. Is this an intended design or did I get a faulty unit? This delay is annoying and would be nice if I can turn it off.
This might be controlled by your Macbook, never had such problem with PC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back