Shanling H7 - High-End Portable DAC/AMP/Player, Featuring new AKM AK4499EX Flagship DAC
Mar 7, 2023 at 7:41 PM Post #661 of 1,116
Now album covers are loaded automatically not from the Internet, but via Bluetooth. This is really great, because the album cover is 100% consistent with the track. I have a cover in every folder of the album on a microsd card. You can turn off the internet synchronization option. BUT! at the same time, you still need to click on each track to cover ON... Tracks that you haven't listened to, they will be without covers. @Shanling We need to make the covers right away without listening to the tracks. Let the synchronization take longer, it's not scary. And the covers will be pulled up on Bluetooth all at once.

We are not sure if we want to implement it this way. Idea of Eddict player app downloading hundreds of jpgs over Bluetooth for each album seems a bit too much for an average user to wait.

Hello friends,

From what I have read, I could only find 2 opinions regarding using the H7 as a DAC to a portable / fixed Amp (in my case a Vorzuge Vorzamp Pure II Pro).

One trashed the H7 as a DAC alone to an external amp and another raved about it. So, this is very important to me in my quest for a great quality portable DAC to my portable amp. Can anyone, that has tried to pair the H7 with external amps, give his impressions? I believe the right way to connect it is probably using the RCA output to a 3,5mm jack to the in-socket of the portable amp and just maximize volume on the H7 for a 2,4V output.

Considering that the micro SD option is the second main attraction, for me, in the H7, how does it works when using an iPhone 13 mini as a remote? I will be using a 256GB card and don't usually have an heavy music library, so I'm just looking to understand if I can remotely make it play without losing connection and so on. I understand that the software still needs work, but the most important to me is that it works every time. I'm also considering the Mojo 2 with a Poly, amongst different options, but I have many concerns regarding connection issues, plus it is expensive and it seems that the SQ is not at the same level of the H7 but in my case I'm only interested in the DAC sound.

I would love some opinions on these 2 ideas, if possible.

Thank you and cheers.

For external amp, yes, using the RCA output at max volume would be our recommendation.

The iOS app in our testing is more stable, as the Android one was facing certain issues with Android system optimization(aka trying to kill the apps in background as much as possible).

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Mar 8, 2023 at 3:16 AM Post #662 of 1,116
If you want to download from Baidu cloud, you need to have account there (and download their annoying app). Mostly it's using Chinese phone numbers, I'm not sure right now how is it with foreign numbers, I didn't test it with my EU phone.

Or you can just wait for our normal international release of the firmware. Which brings me to:

Firmware update V1.5 for H7:

If you are Android user, please make sure to update your Eddict Player app to version V2.1.5

https://en.shanling.com/article-H7V15.html
On firmware 1.5, my device freezes and does not respond to pressing in after a few minutes in playback mode from a memory card. With the cost of the product, it's sad to be a beta tester (

Mar 8, 2023 at 3:30 AM Post #663 of 1,116
On firmware 1.5, my device freezes and does not respond to pressing in after a few minutes in playback mode from a memory card. With the cost of the product, it's sad to be a beta tester (

We haven't seen such report so far.

Please are you using it with Synclink or without? With iOS/Android.

Does it happen with certain file type?
Did you tried factory reset yet?

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Mar 8, 2023 at 3:56 AM Post #665 of 1,116
On firmware 1.5, my device freezes and does not respond to pressing in after a few minutes in playback mode from a memory card.
I experienced same/similar quirk last night when trying to power off H7. Screen got stuck on TF Card Mode and would not power off. Frantically pressed and turned knobs, nothing worked, then long pressed the power button (for a good while) and it powered down. Haven't experienced it again since.

are you using it with Synclink or without? With iOS/Android.
SyncLink on Android. Latest App version.

Mar 8, 2023 at 5:27 AM Post #666 of 1,116
Такого отчета мы еще не видели.

Пожалуйста, вы используете его с Synclink или без? С iOS/Android.

Это происходит с определенным типом файла?
Вы уже пробовали сброс настроек?
I'm sorry I was in such a hurry. It seems to only happen with one music folder. Apparently the problem is in the files.

Mar 10, 2023 at 11:05 PM Post #669 of 1,116
installed my firmware update today.. been using at as a usb/dac on on my laptop. sounds great but I am experiencing a lot of cliping on high gain 50% volume... anyone else experiencing this? do i have a defective unit?

edit: i wish i was lying but i am not having a great time on my first day with the H7

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2023 at 2:01 AM Post #670 of 1,116
installed my firmware update today.. been using at as a usb/dac on on my laptop. sounds great but I am experiencing a lot of cliping on high gain 50% volume... anyone else experiencing this? do i have a defective unit?

edit: i wish i was lying but i am not having a great time on my first day with the H7
What is clipping? please write in more detail what is happening. I'm 90% using the H7 with a laptop on windows. At high gain. I'm listening to Qobuz. have you installed the drivers on the H7? If not, put it from the official website. There will appear a control panel in windows at the bottom right in the tray. See 24 bits would be in this panel in the settings (no 32 bit). Try to choose wasapi exclusive instead of ASIO codec. Or vice versa ASIO. Set the sound quality in windows to 24/192 on H7 audio.

Full reset H7 settings from H7 options.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2023 at 7:50 AM Post #671 of 1,116
What is clipping? please write in more detail what is happening. I'm 90% using the H7 with a laptop on windows. At high gain. I'm listening to Qobuz. have you installed the drivers on the H7? If not, put it from the official website. There will appear a control panel in windows at the bottom right in the tray. See 24 bits would be in this panel in the settings (no 32 bit). Try to choose wasapi exclusive instead of ASIO codec. Or vice versa ASIO. Set the sound quality in windows to 24/192 on H7 audio.

Full reset H7 settings from H7 options.
i already installed the driver from the official shanling website and updated the firmware too. i set the windows advanced audio settings thing to 24/192 just as you said. i also did a full reset on the device before connecting it again via usb-c on my laptop.

i tried doing a frequency sweep and recorded it with my phone. i was playing the sweep in high gain mode at 70% volume and there are some very audible crackles and pops. here is a link of an audio recording of this problem im encountering: sweep_test_shanling_H7_denon_d9200 (recorded it with my phone so sorry for quality)

this crackling and popping sound appears very often and just because on some parts it's not there, i'm dreading the very next moment when i will hear the crackle/pop, ruining the whole music experience. can anyone attest to this? thanks.

edit: it wasn't clipping. i misused the term but i'll just call it a crackle and pop for now bc idk the technical term for it.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2023 at 8:27 AM Post #672 of 1,116
this crackling and popping sound appears very often and just because on some parts it's not there, i'm dreading the very next moment when i will hear the crackle/pop, ruining the whole music experience. can anyone attest to this? thanks.
Try connecting the H7 to a smartphone + stock cable (android), and also try to play music via Bluetooth and via a MicroSD Card, is there such a thing? Try to replace the h7 and laptop connection cable, there may be problems in it.

How do you play music? Through a browser, a player, or through streaming services? If there is a player, try changing the player. Try to play music through the streaming services Qobuz or Tidal through their applications with the setting of direct access to H7 by selecting wasapi exclusive or ASIO codec in the settings of Tidal or Qobuz.

Maybe reinstalling the driver will also help. We need to understand what the reason is. Alas, it is not possible to understand without an extensive test. I think if someone had such a thing, then they would immediately write about it.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2023 at 10:46 AM Post #673 of 1,116
Try connecting the H7 to a smartphone + stock cable (android), and also try to play music via Bluetooth and via a MicroSD Card, is there such a thing? Try to replace the h7 and laptop connection cable, there may be problems in it.

How do you play music? Through a browser, a player, or through streaming services? If there is a player, try changing the player. Try to play music through the streaming services Qobuz or Tidal through their applications with the setting of direct access to H7 by selecting wasapi exclusive or ASIO codec in the settings of Tidal or Qobuz.

Maybe reinstalling the driver will also help. We need to understand what the reason is. Alas, it is not possible to understand without an extensive test. I think if someone had such a thing, then they would immediately write about it.
for some reason, the popping/crackling issue doesn't happen through sd card play via synclink.

it only happens when i connect to my laptop via usb/dac. switching usb cables didnt make a difference. i was using a usbc hub before and i thought a direct connection to the usb ports might make a difference but it didn't, the crackle is is still there.

EDIT: I remember something from 6 months ago when a bought Topping MX5 DAC/AMP. I also installed a driver from topping's website just like shanling's and I returned the dac/amp for the same reason. I might sound crazy here but I am suspecting that the driver has to have something to do with it. BT LDAC no cracking, SD card none.. i think i might be on to something.

*** UPDATE: it was the driver software that was causing the problem. i uninstalled the shanling driver from pc, restarted it, and used it as a usb/dac, as is and the problem was solved. no more cracking no more popping i am keeping this freaking thing because it sounds glorious as heck ***

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2023 at 1:35 PM Post #674 of 1,116
Hi,

Would it be ok to leave the H7 connected to the power to use it as a desktop DAC/AMP (like the Fiio Q7 or the Chord Mojo 2 intelligent desktop mode) or would it damage the battery rapidly ?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2023 at 5:18 PM Post #675 of 1,116
I just received the Shanling UP5, wow! How does the H7 compare to this little masterpiece? Does it maintain the same sound signature? I own several DAP’s, and portable DAC/amps and this is my first Shanling, so do tell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back