Shanling H7 - High-End Portable DAC/AMP/Player, Featuring new AKM AK4499EX Flagship DAC
Feb 13, 2023 at 8:15 AM Post #511 of 1,116
So ive been evaluating a loan H7 unit for a few days now, trying to figure out whether i should replace my Gryphon with it.
It would probably be a winner but im having one potentially deal breaking issue - it struggles to run LDAC at 660kbps... While having my phone and H7 in the opposite pockets of jeans...

Id have some thoughts about my phones performance. But i can walk around 25-30m away from the same phone with Gryphon and still have no cut outs.
And the difference between 660kbps and 330kbps is very noticeable on such a resolving device...

Have you guys tested this or you just run the default low bitrate LDAC option and dont bother adjusting?

Feb 13, 2023 at 8:45 AM Post #512 of 1,116
So ive been evaluating a loan H7 unit for a few days now, trying to figure out whether i should replace my Gryphon with it.
It would probably be a winner but im having one potentially deal breaking issue - it struggles to run LDAC at 660kbps... While having my phone and H7 in the opposite pockets of jeans...

Id have some thoughts about my phones performance. But i can walk around 25-30m away from the same phone with Gryphon and still have no cut outs.
And the difference between 660kbps and 330kbps is very noticeable on such a resolving device...

Have you guys tested this or you just run the default low bitrate LDAC option and dont bother adjusting?
Would you be able to connect this to a TV and tell me if there’s audio lag (lip sync delay)?

Feb 13, 2023 at 8:46 AM Post #513 of 1,116

Got to be honest and say I've had the opposite experience.

When I had the Go Blu and the Gryphon I found range was often limited using LDAC.

I've had no such issues with the H7. I can get range that is at least 2-3 times stronger than previous devices

Feb 13, 2023 at 9:33 AM Post #514 of 1,116
Got to be honest and say I've had the opposite experience.

When I had the Go Blu and the Gryphon I found range was often limited using LDAC.

I've had no such issues with the H7. I can get range that is at least 2-3 times stronger than previous devices
Thanks. Might be an individual unit issue then.. at the minute its the opposite for me..

Feb 13, 2023 at 12:55 PM Post #515 of 1,116

You probably have some older device. I have a Realme GT Neo 3, all new codecs are supported, LDAC is automatically selected. In the developer settings, it is possible to select the quality in bits: 16, 24 and 32 bits. It is also possible to select the FLAC audio codec for Bluetooth: playback quality (streaming): there is an adaptive option by default. I have forcibly set 990\909 kbit\s (there is also a choice of 660 and 330). And the last point: Bluetooth audio sampling rate. By default, 96kHz streaming is set. This I put 24 bits 96kHz and 990\909 kbit\s. Everything works. The newest smartphone can do it all. By the way, in automatic mode, LDAC 990\909 kbit\s is selected by the choice of the device (smartphone). I compared it, it sounds the same. But if you choose 660 and 330, the sound is already worse. Do not forget to turn off all sorts of visualizations on your smartphone like Dolby Atmos, which does not change the sound for the better...

PS: I don't see any point in connecting with the TV, it's nonsense... You need to connect to a device that has an LDAC on board.
PS2: The best Bluetooth sound via USB Audio Player Pro (UAPP) + in the UAPP we include Qobuz + LDAC = Excellent quality.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2023 at 8:13 PM Post #517 of 1,116
Dear @Shanling ,

could you tell us which brand/model of bluetooth chip did you use inside H7? I couldn't find this information on your website.
Thanks

Ampak AP6256AC, same as in our EC3.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Feb 16, 2023 at 12:30 AM Post #520 of 1,116
Oh my. I received mine today. It sounds V E R Y good. I will continue to put it through its paces and report out more. I have owned the RS8, WM1AM2, P6 Pro, M8, etc. for reference background.

Curious to hear your comparison to the M8!

Feb 16, 2023 at 9:16 AM Post #523 of 1,116
hows it compare to wm1am2?
A couple of preface comments: 1) I mostly listen to String Quartet and soft jazz music, 2) I prefer rich and lush mids. Comparing a DAP to the H7 is somewhat apples to oranges because they have different purposes. I will focus on the sound in my very early impressions (H7 not even broken in yet). Also the headphones I use are the Kennerton Rognir Dynamic, The Kennerton THEKK (planar) and the ZMF Atrium. I am not an IEM guy.

I am listening to the H7 on high gain with no EQ.

There are soooooo many variables in what produces the final sound and how we process that sound with our ears and our brain.

The WM1AM2 is a very good DAP. Everything about it is SMOOTH. The sound, the UI, and especially the screen touch experience. I rate the WM1AM2 overall as a very good DAP.

I have only had a couple of hours with the H7 and I do prefer the H7 sound (within my genres) significantly over all the DAPs I have owned (about 20 of them). I would not repurchase the WM1AM2 after hearing the H7. The sound quality difference cannot be unheard (natural timbre, richness of the mids, overall musicality).

In terms of the M8 (and going from memory), the M8 is also a very good DAP with very good sound within my genres. If I wanted the DAP experience instead of just the bluetooth DAC/AMP experience I would gravitate to the M8 as it is close to what I am hearing from the H7.

I liked the RS8 but was wanting more of the R2R sound which I did not perceive. I have a Gustard R26 in my desktop chain and am very pleased with its natural and organic sound. The RS8 is a transportable DAP and quite heavy.

The M6 Ultra is nice and has 4 AKM chips and sounds good (the full DAP experience is very high with the M6 Ultra) but the H7 is significantly better in sound.

So after about 4-5 hours with the H7 I am very very pleased and will continue to explore it and let it open up.

Feb 16, 2023 at 10:40 AM Post #525 of 1,116
A couple of preface comments: 1) I mostly listen to String Quartet and soft jazz music, 2) I prefer rich and lush mids. Comparing a DAP to the H7 is somewhat apples to oranges because they have different purposes. I will focus on the sound in my very early impressions (H7 not even broken in yet). Also the headphones I use are the Kennerton Rognir Dynamic, The Kennerton THEKK (planar) and the ZMF Atrium. I am not an IEM guy.

I am listening to the H7 on high gain with no EQ.

There are soooooo many variables in what produces the final sound and how we process that sound with our ears and our brain.

The WM1AM2 is a very good DAP. Everything about it is SMOOTH. The sound, the UI, and especially the screen touch experience. I rate the WM1AM2 overall as a very good DAP.

I have only had a couple of hours with the H7 and I do prefer the H7 sound (within my genres) significantly over all the DAPs I have owned (about 20 of them). I would not repurchase the WM1AM2 after hearing the H7. The sound quality difference cannot be unheard (natural timbre, richness of the mids, overall musicality).

In terms of the M8 (and going from memory), the M8 is also a very good DAP with very good sound within my genres. If I wanted the DAP experience instead of just the bluetooth DAC/AMP experience I would gravitate to the M8 as it is close to what I am hearing from the H7.

I liked the RS8 but was wanting more of the R2R sound which I did not perceive. I have a Gustard R26 in my desktop chain and am very pleased with its natural and organic sound. The RS8 is a transportable DAP and quite heavy.

The M6 Ultra is nice and has 4 AKM chips and sounds good (the full DAP experience is very high with the M6 Ultra) but the H7 is significantly better in sound.

So after about 4-5 hours with the H7 I am very very pleased and will continue to explore it and let it open up.
very nice :) does the h7 resemble r2r's texture and "unprocessed" realism in a way? since it's a multibit (7bits) dac i was wondering

Users who are viewing this thread

Back