Shall I sell my HD580 or HD595?
Jun 27, 2009 at 7:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

bgstern

Head-Fier
Alright, I've been a lurker here for several years and I'll be asking my first question. Please be gentle
smily_headphones1.gif

I currently own two sets of Senn headphones I love very much - the HD580 and HD595 - both open. Unfortunately, due to work circumstances I will need to sell one of these to finance a closed headphone that I can listen to somewhat loud and not bother anyone around me at work.

I'm trying to figure out which one I should sell to help finance my purchase of the new closed one (quite possibly a D2000) and I've come humbly to ask your opinion.

The HD580 I currently run through a Bithead amp/DAC. I tried to do an A/B with these two phones through the Bithead. It wasn't a true apples-to-apples comparison because of the significantly difference impedances (300 vs 50 ohms) but I tried to control the volume to be as similar as possible.

The results were suprising to me - I found I liked the HD595 a little better. I didn't find much less bass extension as I thought I would and I thought the 595s were more transparent, more enveloping, and well, a little less muddy in the mid-to-upper base frequencies. This came as a suprise to me, as the general concensus at head-fi as far as I can tell is that the HD580 is generally considered the superior phone of the two.

BUT, I will be saving up for what I'm currently thinking will be a HR Desktop amp to be purchased next summer. I understand that the 580 is supposed to scale better with better equipment. Is it possible the Bithead is just holding the 580 back and once I get a higher-end amp, I will absolutely fall in love with my 580? This is what I really wanted to ask you guys about.

What was your experience like? I unfortunately need to make a decision here way before I'll ever get to audition the desktop amp/DAC.

Thanks in advance for any advice or thoughts you would provide.

Brian

Jun 27, 2009 at 8:09 AM Post #2 of 26
The HD580 absolutely scales with source and amp upgrades. You need a desktop amp or an extremely powerful portable amp to drive them well. Although you do plan on getting a desktop amp, you're not getting one in the immediate future. I'd say stick with the HD595 if you like it more. Between now and next year, you can definitely find an HD580 for a good price between now and then whether it be on here, the other forum, audiogon, ebay, or craigslist.

Jun 27, 2009 at 9:54 AM Post #3 of 26
Your ears are yours,you know what you like better.But for me there's no doubt: the Hd580 is a lot better in clarity and separation of voices,and highs too.That's why I sold the 595 and bought Hd600.

Jun 27, 2009 at 6:50 PM Post #5 of 26
the HD580 is the better of the two headphones. It does take a better source and amp to hear what they are capable of. If you dont care all that much about getting the best sound and dont want to drop more money on better equipment then you might be better of with the HD595 which gives a good performance for less money.

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
Jun 28, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #6 of 26
NEVER ever sell your HD580 - promise me now.
devil_face.gif
wink.gif

Jun 28, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by bgstern /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it possible the Bithead is just holding the 580 back and once I get a higher-end amp, I will absolutely fall in love with my 580? This is what I really wanted to ask you guys about.

Yes, a good desktop amp will change the character of the HD-580. The HeadRoom amps are nice, but they really need a good amp to bring their best characteristics out. A couple of inexpensive options are the PreSonus HP4 ($100) or a vintage receiver (free to $50-$100) to bring out their best.

Another consideration is that the HD-580 is out of production. You'll have a tough time finding another one if you sell it.

Jun 28, 2009 at 5:37 AM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another consideration is that the HD-580 is out of production. You'll have a tough time finding another one if you sell it.

True, but isn't the HD600 just the HD580 Jubilee renamed? I got the impression that the popularity of HD580 + 600 grills + 650 cable was just to get a 600 on the cheap...if he's that desperate in the future, he can just get an HD600. Then again, he's going to spend more money on a 600 than he's going to get from his 580, even though that's more valuable than the 595.

Jun 28, 2009 at 6:02 AM Post #9 of 26
Really, it's not that hard to get an HD580. They show up often enough. You just have to be patient.

Jun 28, 2009 at 7:06 AM Post #10 of 26
i thought the jubilee was better than the 600 that the drivers are actually matched. i also thought that the 580 and 600 are the same except that the housing for the 580 is gray with plastic grill instead of the fake marble with metal grill on the 600.

Jun 28, 2009 at 7:14 AM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by j2kei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i thought the jubilee was better than the 600 that the drivers are actually matched. i also thought that the 580 and 600 are the same except that the housing for the 580 is gray with plastic grill instead of the fake marble with metal grill on the 600.

The Jubilee and the HD600 are pretty much the same. The Jubilee was a special edition version of the HD580. The HD600 came after with the marbled look instead of the carbon fiber. The HD600 and HD580 are pretty close sounding being that they use the same driver. The HD650 is a different beast.

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
Jun 28, 2009 at 7:43 AM Post #12 of 26
Thank you all for the very kind and sage advice.

I only wish I could hear what the 580 would sound like properly amped so I could make the best choice. There's only one local shop I know of that sells Sennheiser phones, and they do not demonstrate their headphones with any worthwhile amplification. I was dying to hear what the 650's sounded like and I was really disappointed that the only ones that had any punch were the 595's. So I guess that makes sense - but I can't imagine that's a very effective sales technique!!!

I imagine I'll probably end up keeping the 580's. I've had them for 10+ years and upgraded them with 650 cables, so I have a lot of affection for them. The earpads are also extremely worn - I wonder how much replacing these would help the SQ?

1Time - My musical preferences are mostly rock (ie Rush), progressive (ie Floyd) and electronica (ie Erasure - don't laugh)

Jun 28, 2009 at 9:28 AM Post #13 of 26
If you are free on July 29, please join the Seattle meet. Many of head-fier around this area have HD580, 600 and 650.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgstern /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you all for the very kind and sage advice.

I only wish I could hear what the 580 would sound like properly amped so I could make the best choice. There's only one local shop I know of that sells Sennheiser phones, and they do not demonstrate their headphones with any worthwhile amplification. I was dying to hear what the 650's sounded like and I was really disappointed that the only ones that had any punch were the 595's. So I guess that makes sense - but I can't imagine that's a very effective sales technique!!!

I imagine I'll probably end up keeping the 580's. I've had them for 10+ years and upgraded them with 650 cables, so I have a lot of affection for them. The earpads are also extremely worn - I wonder how much replacing these would help the SQ?

1Time - My musical preferences are mostly rock (ie Rush), progressive (ie Floyd) and electronica (ie Erasure - don't laugh)

Jun 28, 2009 at 11:11 PM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Good chocie to Keep the HD580
smily_headphones1.gif
Agree with all on the board, the HD595 does not match up to the great trios of SEnn. ( oh.. now is QUad). The good things is its easier to drive nature. ( 60ohms)
smily_headphones1.gif

Replacing the cups will help to position the distance of your ears correctly as old pads tends to "sink" and slack... tending to move the driver nearer the ears..

Jun 29, 2009 at 1:20 AM Post #15 of 26
Yeah, hang on to those 580s, for sure. I've had 595s, and while they were enjoyable for what they were, they're definitely not in the Senn top-tier league.

Those 580s have class, as well as personal history, sentimental value, and a cool overall vibe. Don't let 'em go!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back