SF South Bay Meet - Saturday, November 3, 2018
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 15, 2018 at 4:36 AM Post #16 of 97
I would say that my go-to track would be Diana Krall, Devil May Care, Live in Paris. You can hear all the nuances of her voice and breaths, the separation and soundstage of the instruments and with the right equipment, the feeling that you are right there in the performance. Plus the song isn't half bad :ksc75smile:

Good choice! I especially enjoy well recorded "live" albums, and Live in Paris is a favorite of mine as well. Not only is this a fine example of Diana Krall voice, but it also showcases her outstanding band that includes John Clayton, Paulinho DaCosta, Jeff Hamilton, John Pisano and Anthony Wilson, all very talented artists in their own right. Thanks for sharing!

Sep 15, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #17 of 97
Hey folks I'm still abroad -AND- currently relocated from California, so I won't be able to make this one. Jazzfan, nice spruce up to my introduction template. Feel free to mention my name after the "@" sumbol to share post-meet impressions

I enjoyed the last meet you organized in San Jose. It was quite a bit larger than our upcoming mini-meet in November.

I must mention, I don't claim ownership, or rights, to any content or formatting of the opening announcement post. If you feel I've appropriated content that you own, my apologies.

Rather than re-invent the wheel, I gleaned (as you did as well) what I considered to be the best elements from past meet announcements, and added new content to tailor the message for this particular meet. If you like what you see, feel free incorporate (or modify) any elements of the opening post for Head-Fi meets you organize in the future.

It's unfortunate you won't be able to attend this meet. If you wish to receive the latest post-meet updates, simply subscribe to the post-meet impressions thread (here).

Sep 15, 2018 at 6:40 PM Post #18 of 97
My demo track choice is "Squib Cakes" from the "Tower Of Power - Direct" album. Originally released in 1981, the Sheffield Lab live studio recording has long been out-of-print as an LP.

upload_2018-9-15_15-36-15.png

My choice is a bit odd in that, depending on your system, this recording can sound like the worst, or best, live recording you've heard. This is a direct-to-disc recording where each side of the LP was recorded live in a single take from start to finish, a challenging feat for any artist. On a good system, the full dynamic range of the band comes across in its full glory. On lesser systems, this recording can sound thin and lifeless. If this track doesn't sound "live", try it on a better system, and BTW... turn up the volume!

Sep 16, 2018 at 2:20 AM Post #19 of 97
@Howell Selburn, @koven, @Audiofiend1, @chuckwheat, and @elira,

This is a quick reminder to those who have not submitted a list of equipment to bring to the meet. Please take a few minutes to post the gear you intend to bring.

I'll update the first post of this thread once this information has been provided. If you do not intend to bring anything, please indicate that in post so I can reflect that in the Attendees/Gear section as well. The faster we complete this task, the fewer reminders I'll have to post. So thank you for your prompt attention to this request.

Sep 17, 2018 at 2:04 AM Post #20 of 97
If I have to pick one song I'd go for Fun House, off the Stooges album of the same name. It's cheating a bit since the song is nearly 8 minutes long, and the Stooges cover a lot of ground in those 8 minutes. Iggy does some some singing in both his upper and lower registers, plus a fair bit of yelling, hooting, squawking, grunting and crooning, followed by several minutes of his losing his absolute mind. Instrumentally the interplay between the guitar and sax is interesting, the drums are mostly snare and cymbals, with the lower end a nice clean punchy base. The wah pedal that shows up about halfway through is a nice treat too. Overall though the track is a mess and I like seeing what (if anything) comes to the surface on any particular setup.

Sep 17, 2018 at 3:42 AM Post #21 of 97
If I have to pick one song I'd go for Fun House, off the Stooges album of the same name. It's cheating a bit since the song is nearly 8 minutes long, and the Stooges cover a lot of ground in those 8 minutes. Iggy does some some singing in both his upper and lower registers, plus a fair bit of yelling, hooting, squawking, grunting and crooning, followed by several minutes of his losing his absolute mind. Instrumentally the interplay between the guitar and sax is interesting, the drums are mostly snare and cymbals, with the lower end a nice clean punchy base. The wah pedal that shows up about halfway through is a nice treat too. Overall though the track is a mess and I like seeing what (if anything) comes to the surface on any particular setup.

Thanks for sharing! Just listened to Fun House for the first time. I always enjoy listening to new music. I found it quite a hypnotic, raucous and an adventurous ride. I liken it to the avant-garde or free jazz styles of Eric Dolphy or Ornette Colman.

For rock frequently find myself going to back to the more traditional "old school" sound of Bridge of Sighs by Robin Trower. Definitely not as experimental as Fun House but well recorded and very enjoyable none the less.

Sep 17, 2018 at 3:57 AM Post #22 of 97
Oh...if I am not out due to soccer game duties or Shanghai CanJam, I would like to make it!
Even if I cannot come, please let me know if there is anything I should bring.
I am so happy that you are organizing a meet!

Sep 17, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #23 of 97
@Howell Selburn, @koven, @Audiofiend1, @chuckwheat, and @elira,

This is a quick reminder to those who have not submitted a list of equipment to bring to the meet. Please take a few minutes to post the gear you intend to bring.

I'll update the first post of this thread once this information has been provided. If you do not intend to bring anything, please indicate that in post so I can reflect that in the Attendees/Gear section as well. The faster we complete this task, the fewer reminders I'll have to post. So thank you for your prompt attention to this request.

I plan to bring an Auteur w/ Danacable. I may bring an amp too like V281 or Woo WA22 but I go thru amps frequently so not sure what I'll have closer to Nov... I'll give an update near meet time. :)

Sep 17, 2018 at 4:19 PM Post #24 of 97
Oh...if I am not out due to soccer game duties or Shanghai CanJam, I would like to make it!
Even if I cannot come, please let me know if there is anything I should bring.
I am so happy that you are organizing a meet!

Nice to hear from you CEE TEE and thanks for checking out our thread! This meet will be nothing like the huge events you've organized in the past. Due to venue restrictions, our "mini-meet" is limited to 12 max. and we are currently at capacity. I'll place you on the wait list and will let you know if something opens up as we get closer to the meet. Even if you can't make it, please stay in touch!

Sep 17, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #25 of 97
I plan to bring an Auteur w/ Danacable. I may bring an amp too like V281 or Woo WA22 but I go thru amps frequently so not sure what I'll have closer to Nov... I'll give an update near meet time. :)

Okay, sounds good! I'm looking forward to receiving your update. BTW... I'd love to get your impressions of the Danacables at the meet.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2018 at 7:46 AM Post #26 of 97
I enjoyed the last meet you organized in San Jose. It was quite a bit larger than our upcoming mini-meet in November.

I must mention, I don't claim ownership, or rights, to any content or formatting of the opening announcement post. If you feel I've appropriated content that you own, my apologies.

Rather than re-invent the wheel, I gleaned (as you did as well) what I considered to be the best elements from past meet announcements, and added new content to tailor the message for this particular meet. If you like what you see, feel free incorporate (or modify) any elements of the opening post for Head-Fi meets you organize in the future.

It's unfortunate you won't be able to attend this meet. If you wish to receive the latest post-meet updates, simply subscribe to the post-meet impressions thread (here).

No Ill will intended, Jazzfan :v:. Just giving you props for your efforts and good re-tooling of my previous intro.

Above was mentioned 'experimental'. Hmmmm for me I love to go much more on the experimental side, per example:

Autechre - Clipper (IDM genre from 1995 album Tri Repetae)

Pure sound art is a treat for a good system too:
http://www.frameworkradio.net/2017/05/598-2017-05-14/
http://www.frameworkradio.net/2017/05/596-2017-04-30/
(initial load has a lag)

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2018 at 8:43 PM Post #27 of 97
No Ill will intended, Jazzfan :v:. Just giving you props for your efforts and good re-tooling of my previous intro.

Above was mentioned 'experimental'. Hmmmm for me I love to go much more on the experimental side, per example:

Autechre - Clipper (IDM genre from 1995 album Tri Repetae)

Pure sound art is a treat for a good system too:
http://www.frameworkradio.net/2017/05/598-2017-05-14/
http://www.frameworkradio.net/2017/05/596-2017-04-30/
(initial load has a lag)

Interesting choice of demo tracks, and I'd have to agree, experimental would be a good way to describe the sound. Thanks for sharing!

Sep 19, 2018 at 10:59 PM Post #28 of 97
Would love to be there, but will be at the Shanghai headphone show. HOWEVER, if someone was interested, I could send up a full set of IEMs and a Nickel amp for people to play with!

Sep 20, 2018 at 1:01 AM Post #29 of 97
Would love to be there, but will be at the Shanghai headphone show. HOWEVER, if someone was interested, I could send up a full set of IEMs and a Nickel amp for people to play with!

Hi Dan! Thanks for joining our mini-meet thread and thanks for such an incredibly generous offer. I, for one, have not had an opportunity to try any of your gear, so count me in. I'm sure others attending the meet would love to take your gear for a spin as well.

As for the Nickle amp, I didn't realize it was in production. But it looks like a sweet little package from the pic on your website.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2018 at 7:38 PM Post #30 of 97
Hi Dan! Thanks for joining our mini-meet thread and thanks for such an incredibly generous offer. I, for one, have not had an opportunity to try any of your gear, so count me in. I'm sure others attending the meet would love to take your gear for a spin as well.

As for the Nickle amp, I didn't realize it was in production. But it looks like a sweet little package from the pic on your website.
PM me with your address of where to send things!

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back