SF Maxi Meet
Oct 24, 2005 at 10:16 AM Post #46 of 90
in reply to neilvg's post:

the bias was set to 500 volts, since that's what the HE90 is specified for, and that's the headphone I use with the Blue Hawaii. there should be nothing wrong with that part of the amp.

also, the amplifier isn't exactly built for the Sennheisers but rather built with the Omega-II in mind so probably there are a few sonic issues that are to be expected, but even then it sounds pretty good. I'm looking forward to my new electrostatic amp built for the HE90's that I've had on order for at least a couple months now.
wink.gif

as for the HD650's blowing your mind further than the HE90's could... I think that's a matter of opinion.
smily_headphones1.gif
I don't mind either way since I own both systems, and the SDS-XLR itself costs more than the Blue Hawaii and HE90 combined so it better do stuff to justify its price you know. great to hear that you enjoyed that pair a lot.

with all the odd things that seemed to be happening to my gear at the meet, it was good that the SDS-XLR seemed to survive it without much mishap. the other stuff I could bring to another meet without much trouble, but carrying the SDS-XLR (which easily weighs over 100 pounds) to another meet is something I would like to avoid.

Oct 24, 2005 at 11:07 AM Post #47 of 90
a few impressions of some of the gear I got to listen to:

it was great finally getting to hear an HE60. well worth the effort I put into the mess of wires I call a convertor.
wink.gif
there were definite differences between it and the HE90, and it gave me a perspective on all the comparisons I've read between them. I heard definite differences in the soundstage and imaging, along with differences in detail. the HE90 soundstage is vast and you don't get the feeling that you are wearing a headphone, while with the HE60 the sound was more what I would expect out of a traditional headphone in terms of soundstage, and I got the feeling that the midrange was closer to the ears and pretty intimate. the sound seemed a bit warmer than the HE90's too. come to think of it I didn't spend too much time with them since I think I was actually checking out the balance issue on the Blue Hawaii and as a side effect got to listen to the headphones. so my impressions are not too thorough, but even then I think I got a good general idea of their sound signature and characteristics. I'm sure I'll have other opportunities to hear them now that neilvg owns a pair and he lives relatively nearby. there's that new amp that I have coming in that'll be a nice lure if needed.
wink.gif

the HF1 is an interesting headphone. I tried most, if not all, of the grado headphones and haven't really liked them other than the PS1, but the HF1 seemed to be different from what I recall the others sounding like, with a very warm and full sound (possibly too warm and full) and a nice weighty bass output. it was quite muddy and not that technically favorable for me though, but you can say that for any headphone in its class / price range when compared to the stuff I usually use.

I didn't like the wooden cups on the sennheiser HD600's. to me it seemed to destroy the sennheiser sound and made it sound slightly distorted, somewhat muddy, and just not right. others may like it for how it adds to the sound, but I'm fine with how the stock headphone sounds (at least balanced, not really fond of how the stock unbalanced one sounds) so I would go without them. I think it also destroys the soundstage you get normally when the HD650 is used with a balanced headphone amp.

Voltron's HT setup was amazing. the sound was well balanced and very dynamic. also, the Pioneer plasma display was extraordinary. I think next time we should forget about the headphones and just concentrate on your HT equipment instead.
biggrin.gif

Oct 24, 2005 at 11:37 AM Post #48 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by neilvg
daba,

are you sure about that? All the HF-1's Ive seen have these markings on it. My HF-1s have the same 'scuffs'.

Mine have these marks as well.

I believe the later serial numbered ones don't have these marks

Oct 24, 2005 at 12:41 PM Post #49 of 90
after rereading Voltron's post, I have a few more comments to add.

Voltron's new tung sol is the round plate variety. (really an interesting tube structurally, only other one I know of like that is the Neotron tube, which I think you also tried out and should have sounded similar. it was the one in the yellow-ish box with a tube on it.) sonically, it is one of my favorite 6SN7's, along with the 6SN7W, and that seems to be the opinion of quite a few people. I hope you had fun going through the other tubes I brought too. you could spend a whole afternoon just going through all sorts of tube configurations.

haven't gotten to the DHA3000 troubleshooting yet, but I'll do that soon. most of today was spent trying to figure out what was wrong with the Blue Hawaii, and also recovering from the meet, nevermind getting all the stuff put away.

we need to do another round so we can get this DHA3000 (and Blue Hawaii) to work correctly.

great to hear that you liked my PS1's.
biggrin.gif
and that's with it driven balanced from the SDS-XLR, and I think with the Solen Stage 3 setting on (actually, it supposedly uses caps even larger than the standard level 3 mod) adding even more bass, although also with better resolution and clarity added to the sound in general. some people think that even the bass from a stock PS1 with an unbalanced source is too much.

Oct 24, 2005 at 2:07 PM Post #51 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
Voltron's new tung sol is the round plate variety. (really an interesting tube structurally, only other one I know of like that is the Neotron tube, which I think you also tried out and should have sounded similar. it was the one in the yellow-ish box with a tube on it.) sonically, it is one of my favorite 6SN7's, along with the 6SN7W, and that seems to be the opinion of quite a few people. I hope you had fun going through the other tubes I brought too. you could spend a whole afternoon just going through all sorts of tube configurations.

Actually, Brimar also made a round-plate 6SN7GT, but the sound isn't worth writing home about. I should try them again at some point, just to confirm previous impressions, but once I put them away I pretty much ignored them after that. The Tung Sol is in another (better) class entirely.

Oct 24, 2005 at 3:36 PM Post #52 of 90
Hmm. Strange, I wonder what happened to the DHA3000? It should be a plug-and-play setup, what could've gone wrong?
confused.gif

Nice pics guys, lots of good equipment there!

Oct 24, 2005 at 4:50 PM Post #53 of 90
Akwok,

Nothing technically wrong per se (maybe power related issues??? maybe not), but it had this midrange glare and it seemed to emphasize qualities in the L3k's that I don't think should be emphasized (800hz-1.8khz) and additionally, for an amp made to match with the L3k's the volume pot was very sensitive and not fully utilized becoming loud at less than 1/4th the max rotation.

I did for the most part like the EQ adjustments and they had the nice 'smoothness' to them. They seemed to mostly affect 'Q' bandwidth at around 8-12khz with a very minor boost for the treble. The bass semmed to do more, not sure on it though.

Neil

Oct 24, 2005 at 7:06 PM Post #54 of 90
How could I forget the "King of Headphones" and the Qualia 010 from my long-winded impressions? Well, it was late (I am still suffering from lack of sleep) but I want to make up for that oversight.

This was the second meet where I heard ayt999's R-10s but it was the first time I appreciated them. I tried them on the Mad Maxxed MPX3 and they sounded pretty darn good. I was impressed with the sound from my new amp into these famed cans and actually wondered why the same amp didn't sound as good with them in San Jose. The driver tube was different but otherwise I don't get the difference. Maybe it was because I didn't own it at the time!
k1000smile.gif

When I really understood what the fuss was all about, however, was when I jacked them into the SDS-XLR (using ayt's 1/4 to XLR adapter). Wow, did I like what I heard! The sound is big and detailed and clean. It's almost like you can hear the sound reaching into those funny-shaped wood cups and then stretching out away from your head. I was really glad to have this opportunity. I walked away from SJ not understanding how anyone could heap on the adoration they receive. Now I get that much more, even though I still like various other cans better.

Now, the Qualia. Still don't get it. Can't get them to fit my head/ears with any kind of proper seal and they continue to sound thin and distant to me. On the MPX3 they sounded *ok* but I don't think I ever tried them on the SDS now that I think about it. Oh well, another thing to add to the list for "next time." Hope that time comes around again, ayt...
tongue.gif

Finally, if neilvg and ayt can part with their L3000 and DHA3000, respectively, I will gladly perform some in-depth testing to see what setups are good or bad in anticipation of, and for the benefit of, our future meets. Selfless of me, huh?
cool.gif
My honest guess on why these two didn't hit it off to the extent expected was all of that power conditioning and cabling that was going on over there with the SDS and BH, etc. Just a guess, and an uneducated one at that.

Oct 24, 2005 at 7:14 PM Post #55 of 90
lol yeah. personally I wasn't buying into the Qualias myself. But heh, atleast I might actually come with more stuff than just my woodies. I've placed an order for the Hornet and I'm in between conversations with Mikhail. Although my biggest regret no doubt was not hearing the Orpheus, both the baby and the Daddy.

Oct 24, 2005 at 7:51 PM Post #57 of 90
Sounds like a great meet! I would have loved to come, but I was hanging out with my oldest daughter all day.

My favorite photo from the meet:
HeadFi_SF_16_Small.jpg

Spektrograf takes all the pictures that I wish I had taken at the meets...
smily_headphones1.gif

Anybody have any more impressions of the Earmax or Blessingx's setup with the Scott Nixon TubeDac? Everyone always gets so enamored with the mega-gear at these things...
tongue.gif

Peace! Hopefully see all you guys next time!

Oct 24, 2005 at 7:54 PM Post #58 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat
I know it's difficult to perform this in meet conditions, but any comparisons between the different Sennheiser upgrade cables, particularly Zu Mobius vs. RnB Grace Five Two?

We didn't really get into it, and its something I had wanted to do. Although I think NeilPeart and RhythmDevils did a bit more testing than I.

Oct 24, 2005 at 8:00 PM Post #59 of 90
Quote:

I know it's difficult to perform this in meet conditions, but any comparisons between the different Sennheiser upgrade cables, particularly Zu Mobius vs. RnB Grace Five Two?

I'm surprised PFK didn't respond to the 650 cable question because he was spending a fair amount of time doing just that. Maybe he will jump back in.

Clarke: sorry you didn't make it but hope to see you next time.

Oct 24, 2005 at 8:58 PM Post #60 of 90
Again, Voltran, thanks again to you and your family for opening your home to a bunch geeky strangers. You have a very beautiful home. Nice pooch too.

Here is a few more thoughts:

As more of a Senn. guy, it was nice to be able to hear the difference between the flat pads and bowl pads on my MS2i’s. Warm and bassy with the flats and a little distant and more detailed with the bowls.

I’ve heard the SR-71 and SM3 before but another listen confirmed they are both great amps. This SM3 had the 627 in it. I have yet to hear one with another opamp.

I’d agree with Voltron on the Tung-Sol love. It was very musical in Voltron’s upgraded “ten finger discount” MPX3. No new revelation for anyone who hasn’t been under a rock, but to hear it was very satisfying.

Rhythmdevils - I hope you got a chance to hear the DAC1. I thinking you didn’t but since I set it up late and with ayt999’s gear there, who could blame you.
voltron – PM me if you like the next time you and Rhythmdevils get together. I can bring the DAC1 for a more extended listening session. Props for the great pizza too!
PFKman23 – Enjoyed talking to you about your imminent purchase. Your excitement and passion come through loud and clear. I’m sure you’ll be happy with what ever you get. You will need to think “source” and tube rolling very soon though.
spectograf - Glad you enjoyed the concert so much. I remember you were quite excited about it before leaving the meet. Great pics too.
blessingx - I’m somewhat indimidated by PC setups but now regret not taking a listen to your setup. Enjoyed our short chat and enjoy your posts on the Ipod. I may finally buy one.
ayt999 - You need to bring better “Stuff” next time. I hope that is the closest I ever get to the Russian river. Thanks for the serious generosity.
neilvg - Was nice meeting you. Thanks for bringing your gear. You brought a lot yourself and really enjoyed the Earmax AE, especially with my DAC1. The discussion in the patio with NeilPeart was fun to listen to.
daba - We talked a little at the end and noticed you did a lot of listening as well. Sorry to hear of your troubles with your HF-1s.
Ripley – Since we got to the meet late, we didn’t have much of a chance to chat. Glad you were able to figure out a way to get up to the meet. Hopefully we can carpool next time.
Neilpeart – One of the more passionate Head-fi’ers without a doubt. Never a dull moment with you around. All kidding aside about the navigating, thanks for keeping me awake during the drive home and for getting me onto Hwy101. Btw, I didn’t see any “Hot chick hitching” . Is there such a thing?

Can’t wait for the next one guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back