SF Maxi Meet
Oct 23, 2005 at 4:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 90

Voltron

HeadFest '07 Lead OrganizerThe DOTU
From humble beginnings, our meet today turned into a major event attended by 13 lucky Head-Fiers. The gear list is beyond belief and lots of music has been flowing since 1pm. There are still 7 of us going strong[ish] at 9pm and we ordered some pizza to recharge. Highlights include the SDS-XLR, dueling leatherheads, dueling MPX3s, many woodies of different stripes and sizes, tube gear, SS gear, computer setups, portable setups, and pretty much anything you imagine. Thanks to all who attended and brought amazing stuff to share.

Utep10 and NeilPeart are to be commended for going up to fetch ayt999 and for overtly and covertly bringing along ayt999's gear.

We are going to try to post some pics in a minute, but numerous cameras were in action so people should post what they have.

Cheers,
Volt

Oct 23, 2005 at 4:26 AM Post #2 of 90
Picture_013.jpg

Neilvg's RudiStor RP6-DQ with Pioneer DV45

Picture_021.jpg

Dueling MPX3s with Onix CD-1 feeding them

Picture_020.jpg

ayt999's box 'o tubes

Picture_022.jpg

Mad Maxx MPX3 [yes, Sleestack it is mine now]

Picture_0231.jpg

Utep10's DAC 1 and Sony (sounded nice powered by the Ear Max Anniversary

Picture_002.jpg

Rhythmdevils chillin' HF-1 Style

Picture_003.jpg

PFKMan agonizing over which MPX3 upgrades he wants (and enjoying every minute of it)

Picture_004.jpg

Gear, pads, stuff

Picture_005.jpg

Prof.Anderson analyzing the PPA circuit via HD580s

Picture_006.jpg

Neilvg explaining that he doesn't know how those Britney Spears CDs got in his case...
eek.gif

Picture_008.jpg

Utep10 looks on with disdain while Neilvg cranks Britney on the Orpheus. Sacrilege!

Picture_007.jpg

Daba going deep into the Land of the Leatherheads

Picture_011.jpg

NeilPeart and Rhythmdevils talking cans

Picture_012.jpg

The RudiStor and Ear Max Pro Anniversary Edition. They sound as good as they look.

Picture_014.jpg

EMP AE...are you ready for your close-up?

Picture_015.jpg

DHA3000 and SDS-XLR with Esoteric DV50 and Blue Hawaii with Accuphase. NICE.

Picture_016.jpg

Cans a'plenty for the balanced gear, especially with ayt's many home-made connectors and converters

Picture_017.jpg

Rhythmdevils chillin' again, Daddy-O style
cool.gif

Picture_018.jpg

Ozzie Guillen with skanky-looking HP25s. World Series "action" was in the background silently but the cans caught peoples' attention.

Picture_019.jpg

Ditto from the side

Oct 23, 2005 at 4:41 AM Post #3 of 90
Just came home from the meet and I must say it was a blast. Having various headphones such as many many HD650s and 600s, a couple HF1s, an MS1 woody were just awesome. And yes, he had high level stuff like the ATH L3000s, Qualias, R10s, HR60s and HE90s. However before I go on I;d like to thank Voltron for being such a great host. The atmoshpere was wonderful and it was very informative just conversing with the members at the meet. SO kudos for such a great meet enviornment.

My time was mostly spent listening to the two MPX3s and I must say that there was a very profu\ound difference between the two. There was much more clarity in the higher level product and seemingly better extension of the musical spectrum from the tracks I was listening too. The instruments were also much more distinguishable and slightly warmer than the more moderate MPX3.

I'll post more detailed impressions when I have more energy.

PS: What's the type of cheese in that cheese wedge? It was absolutely addicting.

Also, to silver wire the MPX3 or not....

Oct 23, 2005 at 5:46 AM Post #4 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by PFKMan23

PS: What's the type of cheese in that cheese wedge? It was absolutely addicting.

Hoorah! I was hoping someone might notice it. That was Pleasant Ridge Reserve, a many-time Best in Cheese winner from Wisconsin. I got it down in the Ferry Building, on an inside tip from one of the chefs. She said that it usually sells out as soon as they receive it.

I'll post my non-cheese meet impressions tomorrow.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 23, 2005 at 5:59 AM Post #5 of 90
It was cool that you could have Ozzie Guillen at your meet!

He's quite the dude these days, managing the White Sox to their first World Series win since before most of us were born, and cathing the red eye to SF all in one night! And what kind of headphones are those anyway? They don't look very good...

Oct 23, 2005 at 6:57 AM Post #8 of 90
I'd say that's true without a doubt. AYT's stuff definitely added a couple hundred pounds of gear and also alot great stuff. HE60s, HE90s, R10s, Qualias, L3000s, HF1s, oh my.....

Oct 23, 2005 at 7:26 AM Post #9 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ripley
Hoorah! I was hoping someone might notice it. That was Pleasant Ridge Reserve, a many-time Best in Cheese winner from Wisconsin. I got it down in the Ferry Building, on an inside tip from one of the chefs. She said that it usually sells out as soon as they receive it.

I'll post my non-cheese meet impressions tomorrow.
smily_headphones1.gif

AWESOME CHEESE!

Oct 23, 2005 at 7:41 AM Post #10 of 90
"I'm just crackers for cheese Grommit!"

--Wallace in The Curse of the Were Rabbit

Thanks for sharing the cheese love Ripley. There might have been more raves over that brick of stinky stuff than the R10s and Qualias combined. (j/k ayt) More listening notes after some sleep.

Oct 23, 2005 at 7:54 AM Post #11 of 90
Well, since I live so close, I'll post some impressions because I'm already home!

Firstly, I'd like to thank Voltron again for hosting us. He is an uber cool dude, and the hippest over 40 year old I know! Hehe, just kidding man, you know you rock.

As far as the meet goes, it is true, we had so much equipment, I felt really scatter brained between setting stuff up, trying stuff, and talking and eating. I must say though, I finally got to try the HE60 / HE90 comparison using the blue hawaii and the esoteric DV50 AND the accuphase DP-85. I don't want to go into longwinded hyperbole of any sort, but let me just say that I am totally fine with my HE60's! Of course the Orpheus is better, but I don't beleive the blue hawaii was doing a good job today, we had some channel imbalance issues which have been plaguing this amp for some time it seems, but additionally, some material wasn't sounding too spectacular at times, and tended to be overly bright with this amp. But if I was pressed to make some major comparisons, I would say the HE90's win out over the HE60's in soundstaging (VERTICAL depth and horizontal depth as well as a more fluid sounding pan'ing). There is also plenty of more bass low down and it is a little more fluid. This also goes hand in hand with the fact that the orpheus is physically a bigger phone with larger electrostatic membrane's. However, these differences are cream of the crop, icing on the cake, fat on the fat, hair growing on hair (ok well you get the point), types of bonuses, and after a while I tended to acclamate to this and the same goes with the HE60's. They are both tremendously enjoyable.

The other big surprise for me was the balanced HD650's out of the SDS-XLR. WOW! Amazing, the true wide eyed mind opener of the day for me. I not only feel this phone has great synergy with the SDS, but balanced mode just blew me away. For the first time in my life I feel like these senns are getting all and more than the power they need and it is going to all the right places. Let me put it this way, it was both articulate and fast, agressive and warm, forward but with the senn wide open 'relaxing' signature. Not a bit of harshness in site. These to me even sounded better than the balanced R10.

The dissapointer of the day (if I can even be sacraligious enough to use that word) would be the DHA-3000 with the L3K. I do not know if it was my DV50s source, or if it was something to do with the power the DHA was connected to (we'd had it all running through PSAudio gear)... but it just didn't sound right to me. I was expected a solid state digital amplifer to be faster, and have a greater extension on the upper end, but instead, it seemed to magnify the weaknesses of the L3k, well to put it better, it seemed to emphasize the frequency range from about 800hz-1.8khz. This range is already forward with the L3k and it ended up sounding hollow and shouty. The EQ controls only made very marginable and smooth adjustments. However, aesthetically and operationally, this amp runs smoothly and beautifully.

I compared the L3k's with the MPX3's (more modded and less modded) v.s. the Rudi RP6 and the Earmax Annivarsay. I most definitely liked the Earmax the best. The MPX's also sounded hollow to me in the midrange area and presented the L3k's in an overtly warm fashion which they do not need or benefit from. Going to the Earmax the difference is immediate. Whoever has said that these phones are not picky I think is mistaken. I want to hear these phones with more solid state setups because with tube amps it is a hit or miss kind of thing and it is noticable almost immediately. Curiously, AYT's L3k's sounded a little better (less midrange shout) and this could have been due to a number of things, but if I was to guess, I would say that it is his custom recabling. Not that he makes great cables (j/k Alex!) but I think some of us came to the conclusion that his cables lean towards the brighter side and with phones such as the L3k this is exactly what it needs, especially with warmer tube amps. The increased treble energy alleviates to some degree the hump in the midrange creating the effect of greater clarity or less harshness. However, the effect is minor and only a direct and immediate comparison would yield this observation.

As for the rest of the equipment, I heard a bunch of stuff, but nothing for very long. We had HP2's, HF-1's galore, a PS-1, an HP3000, a qualia (very much so disliked), Senn HD650's ad infinitum... but one thing I would like to comment on was that, if we do decide to do another SF 'mini' meet in the future, let's try to focus down a bit more. I felt a little scatter brained and wasn't able to try everything I wanted due to the fact that there was so much competing for my attention, and also the fact that there were other swho wanted to have a listen...

But if I was to spend some more time with the equipment on hand, I would have loved to do:

sennheiser cable tests - we went into this a little, but not enough
power cable tests
dv-50 / dp-85 sacd/redbook comparisons
HE90 / HEV70 / HE60 comparisons (we had an HEV70 but the power supply from senn hasn't yet arrived!)

I did get a chance to finally compare the HD650 and the HD600. I would still say I like my HD600 better for almost all applications, but one scenario where there was no contest was again, the balanced 650 out of the SDS. OH MY GOD. The same cable out of the 600 and much of the magic was lost. Strange! And another thing which was most surprising, the HD600's had more bass energy, but it was boomy, actually it was really low mid energy that was boomy which the 650's smoothed out. I wasn't expecting this but it seemed to hold true for the evening.

Thanks to everyone again who participated, I had a great time. You are all cool people in tHe fLeSH!! Rock On! Thanks also to Alex for putting forth the effort to bring such items like the gargantuan SDS and NeilPeart and Utep and everyone else for helping!

Oct 23, 2005 at 9:10 AM Post #12 of 90
That was a great meet. It was a great opportunity sample tons of high-end equipment -- loved the
orphsmile.gif
. Big thanks to Voltron for his hospitality. Great pizza too.

Here are the pictures that I took. Some highlights:

voltron_ps1.jpg

Figure 1: Voltron enjoying the PS1's. "I love the bass."

testing_neilCrying.jpg

Figure 2: neilvg in tears while listening to the L3000. Notice rhythmdevils observing the mysterious look on neilpeart's face.

rhythmdevils_neil.jpg

Figure 3: rhythmdevils enjoying the HP3000 out of the SDS-XLR.

pfkman1.jpg

Figure 4: Left to right: utep10, ayt999, PFKman23, voltron, neilpeart.

he_boyz.jpg

Figure 5: rhythmdevils and ripley -- HE-BoY'z Representin'! Betta recognize.

hd600_hev70.jpg

Figure 6: HD600's and HEV70.

billybob.jpg

Figure 7: Billybob - dog of the Defender of the Universe.

ayt999_table7.jpg

Figure 8: ayt999 & neilvg's table of wonders. From the left: HF-1, L3000, L3000 balanced, R10, PS-1, HD650, Qualia 010. In the background: DHA3000, Esoteric, SDS XLR, Blue Hawaii, Accuphase.

ayt999_table5.jpg

Figure 9: (cont'd) HE60 and HE90.

MPX3_Onix.jpg

Figure 10: Audio-takeover is characterized by an abudance of vacuum tubes and amplifiers, as seen here in Voltron's living room.

DSC01854.jpg

Figure 11: More evidence of audiophilia.

Want more? Here is the 6 page entire album.

Oct 23, 2005 at 10:50 AM Post #13 of 90
Thanks to Voltron for graciously hosting. Good munchies, good beer, and plently of room for a ton of gear. Watching the WS game was quite the experience
wink.gif

Thanks to everyone for bringing your gear to share. I always enjoy ayt999's "Stuff" but new experiences were the Earmax AE, SDS-XLR/HD650balanced, and ayt999's custom mini-mini cable.

LA and AT, we need a navagator next time, OK?
biggrin.gif

Oct 23, 2005 at 4:53 PM Post #14 of 90
Al,

Thank you VERY much for being such a gratious and generous host! I thoroughly enjoyed the meet!

Thanks also to everyone who attended for sharing your equipment, esp. to ayt999 who shared his monstrous load of mega-equipment with us and nealpeart and utep10 for going up there to get him! Having been around hundred's of thousands of dollars of high-end audio equipment without being phased, the extreme headphone-oriented high-end still impresses me.

Instead of hammering this thread with 20 photos, I've posted them up HERE.

Cheers to all!
-Harris

Oct 23, 2005 at 5:06 PM Post #15 of 90
Sweet pics daba and Spek! Somehow Spek has gone unphotographed in 3 sets of pics. Who else has some to post? I know at least 3 more people were snapping away... If Spek does not appear in any photographs does that mean he is a vampire?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back