SF Maxi Meet
Oct 27, 2005 at 10:37 PM Post #76 of 90
Is it me, or is it getting hot in here?
wink.gif

I actually did not get around to the Neotron tube, but I hope to one of these days Alex.
icon10.gif
I have been VERY HAPPY with my Tung Sol round plate, however, and it is my favorite driver so far. Thanks again.

Now I'm going to have to sneak in a couple Ws based on you and others praising them. The Neverending Story continues...

How is your new toy pictured above, by the way? Are you going to post some more thoughts?

Oct 28, 2005 at 12:18 AM Post #77 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron
How is your new toy pictured above, by the way? Are you going to post some more thoughts?

ya, once I listen to it.

and it isn't mine.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 28, 2005 at 5:23 PM Post #78 of 90
Excellent pics, great impressions, good to hear that you guys had a great time! Cudos to Voltron for the generosity, always appreciated..it does us head-fiers a great justice (even if we don't attend) a great service when individuals host meets! I hope I can get to the hamilton meet on november 12th, need a car though
frown.gif
!

Regards,

xand1x

Oct 28, 2005 at 7:13 PM Post #79 of 90
Thanks x+1x. Good luck getting a ride to the Hamilton meet. Plus, you need to start working on your ride for the NY meet in the spring!
biggrin.gif

Holler if you are down this way, and we can have a micro-meet!
280smile.gif

Oct 29, 2005 at 2:46 AM Post #80 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
so I didn't include the complete details of the history and rebranding of the tubes
rolleyes.gif
but is there anything wrong with calling a tube that has Neotron on the box and tube as a Neotron?

nothing... unless it's actually a mazda.
wink.gif
i just posted that for 'general information' actually.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

and what's this about saying "afaik the two tubes are completely different sounding." from that I doubt you've compared them, since otherwise you'll know for sure most likely. I have quite a few of both tubes, and compared them, and the whatever tube sounded a lot closer to the tung sol round plate than any other tube I compared it with.

I also said that it was a similar sound, not identical. there are many differences, but the overall feel is similar to me. this also doesn't mean that they are necessarily in the same class. stuff can have similar sounds yet one can be a lot better than another.

yes, i have not listened to the neotron, hence afaik. my opinions are distilled from that of members i can trust here and what are imo hard facts (if the construction is different, the likelihood of sounding the same is low). i also actually posted that out of concern - unlike you, not all the members here can afford to try every tube. there was a case of a seller on ebay putting up neotron tubes for auction which he claimed sounded "just like ts roundplates" - as people assumed that what looks like a rp must sound like a rp, the auction went straight into silly money territory. personally, i'd feel bad if someone went ahead and blew his entire tube allowance on a lie and i stood by and said nothing.

Quote:

this is a meet impressions thread guys.

my apologies. anyway, this looked like a smashing meet guys. i'm at work now, and just missed one held in my country.
frown.gif

ayt999, your equipment..!
eek.gif
truly the envy of any head-fier. and btw beautiful house, voltron.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 29, 2005 at 6:36 AM Post #81 of 90
Honestly, I find the past few posts a bit comical. This is because it is an impressions thread as mentioned before. People preceive things differently. In my mind you will preceive things largely based on what you are looking for and what you know. Case and point two people may or may not listen to the same recording on the same set up and notice the same things. For example taking myself. If I'm listening to a choral piece and trying to listen specifically for and noting the tenor part, it doesn't mean that the other parts don't exist (Soprano, alot, bass, etc...). Also, just reading this forum it seems to be that there is a somewhat singular mind in that there is only one way to perceive things. personally I don't necessrily see this is accurate, atleast not as commonplace as people may think.

Oct 29, 2005 at 10:26 PM Post #82 of 90
I'd like to think that most people who find their way to this forum are 'relatively' smart, and this being the case, should always keep in the back of their mind that these opinions are simply subjective singular points of view, and only at a snapshot in time on top of this. Additionally, while meets are fun, they in NO WAY create the ideal atmosphere for critical listening which these expensive toys DEMAND.

If something catches your ears, or comes across as intriguing, I take this as a queue to spend some more quality time with it... Nothing in a meet is certain as there are always so many factors involved to color our perception.

Let me just add one last thing - professional mastering engineers, renouned for their prized 'golden' ears, never master longer than a few hours a day, and never listen to more than one song in that critical environment, especially with different speakers or sources. Listening fatigue and ear threshold desensitization are some of the things that easily occur in the 'confusing' atmosphere of a meet. Confusing for our ears that is.

Neil

Nov 1, 2005 at 1:03 AM Post #83 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch
However, gpalmer's HE90 shows a channel imbalance at that configuration out of that amp, while mine does not.

It used to Hirsch, but I swapped our headphones last meet and it works great now!
orphsmile.gif

Nov 2, 2005 at 4:38 PM Post #86 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
It used to Hirsch, but I swapped our headphones last meet and it works great now!
orphsmile.gif

LMAO. By the way, your cables are going out today
biggrin.gif

Nov 2, 2005 at 8:32 PM Post #87 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
orphsmile.gif

Hah! I saw that you were going to do that, and switched them first, so you actually took your own headphone back
wink.gif

[size=xx-small]I need a Wallace Shawn smiley for that sentence.[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back