sexy new 21:9 widescreen HDTV!
Feb 25, 2009 at 7:19 AM Post #16 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
madness. I want.

Wayne, I offer you your pair of HE90s for that setup!
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by ivanrocks321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is that an actual pic of your room? It looks amazing with the tv and all.

Not mine, just something from youtube. As I said in an earlier post, I've been tempted to go the 2.35:1 constant height route, but the ancillary costs are quite high. It's not just about the electric screen. There are some serious costs involved with the front projector, scaler, anamorphic lens, stage and curtain set up, room lighting, acoustic treatments, and on and on. It's not something you approach without a lot of reflection!

Feb 26, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #20 of 37
Since I watch almost no TV programming at all this would be great for those of us who mainly watch movies. It would be great to have the movie fill the screen and not have those black bars at the top and bottom.

I like the idea of the 2.34:1 format.

Feb 26, 2009 at 6:53 PM Post #21 of 37
That would be excellent for movies, but considering all TV is in either 16:9 or 4:3, I'd probably go with a 16:9 TV.

Feb 26, 2009 at 7:45 PM Post #22 of 37
very impressive....was the first thing that came to my mind when i read about it.

but later i thot..

why not just get a projector for that money and get it over with?

good idea..but many issues

their aint much content in that aspect ratio.....and that is gonna be the main reason why atleast as a consumer product it ll have lot of trouble selling...and add to that the price tag.

i would love to have it..but man..are there really movies in that ratio?..and if there are ..then how many?

Feb 26, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #24 of 37
Cool. The problem is that, in order to have a decent sized 16:9 scree, the 21:9 would have to be HUGE. And even more expensive. Also, I understand that 21:9 is what a lot of films are shot in, but I don't like the proportions of the actual screen.

The 16:9 screen looks really nice just proportionally. I wouldn't want it to change. Probably because 1.78:1 is a lot closer to the golden ratio than 2.35:1. Speaking of which, it seems like it would be a no brainer to have a picture with the golden ratio. So much is designed with it in mind anyway (whether conscious or not) that it seems a no brainer for TV.

Feb 26, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #25 of 37
I think those ratio changes are pretty darn stupid.
First we all buy 4:3 screens, then we got black bars.
Then, as the good consumers that we are, we buy 16:9 screens, and after a few years we end up with those black bars again!
What the hell!

I still have two 22" 1600x1200 CRT monitors, because they are still unbeatable for color quality, and I'm not planning on changing.

Feb 26, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #26 of 37
Sorry this was mentioned earlier

Anyone interested in Video should really check out the av science forum. The video equivelant of Head-fi

They have a section on constant height set ups

I have had a 16:9 projector set up for 11 years now. My next venture will most certainly be a constant height set up.
Projector manufactures will soon be releasing pannels with a native resolution to correspond to constant height set ups (previously atainable only through use of an anamorphic lens)

Feb 27, 2009 at 6:12 AM Post #27 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by guyx1992 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here in Israel, about 95% of all TV is SD resolution, so by the time it'll start broadcasting in 21:9 I'll be 80 and I'm now 16 :p

Then, may you live to be 120!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 27, 2009 at 3:52 PM Post #28 of 37
I think the 21:9 widescreen has a couple of applications that makes it very useful. I think watching sports would be a lot better have a wide screen, all you have to do is move your eyes to follow the action instead of having a tv production crewing moving between different cameras to do the same thing.

I think computer monitors and the iMac would really be able to take advantage of the extra screen space.

Two thumbs up in my book.

Feb 27, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #29 of 37
Woah, awesome TV!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's extremely cool with video screens that have electric masking systems and curtains, such that was you go from 2.35:1 to 16:9, not only does the picture stay in the same place vertically, but the outer edges of the screen (horizontally) that are not needed for 16:9 automatically close in and drawn the curtains at the same time! Thus, in whatever aspect ratio you happen to be watching, the screen you're seeing in front of you is set up perfectly with no need for black bars, either vertically or horizontally.

Thats actually a similar technique to the one used in movie theaters.
icon10.gif

Mar 3, 2009 at 6:33 AM Post #30 of 37
Good God that's a hot TV

Users who are viewing this thread

Back