Sex Pistols Appreciation
Feb 5, 2007 at 8:43 PM Post #16 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielBurns11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MTV may not have existed yet, but they influenced the whole generation of MTV 'Punks'.

As for the 'real band' thing, I wasn't saying anything about their musical abilities (although Sid really couldn't play bass, and often had his bass turned all the way down during live shows). But I was commenting on the fact the they were just formed as a marketing tool for angry teenagers instead of going the route that most musicians (it can even be argued that Sid wasn't a musician at all, but rather a a personality that could make the band more popular) often do. I suppose it doesn't make them any less of a 'real' band, but in depends on what context your using the term.

As for their music, I have nothing against it. I actually enjoy some of their songs. And their was no doubt they influenced a great deal of people and are a big part of music history.

Vicious was just a personality. We can both agree on that.
600smile.gif
The whole death thing was probably a publicity stunt hatched by Mclaren.
wink.gif

I plan to check out Swindle next chance I get. Any opinions on the relatively recent reunion tour they did?

Feb 5, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #17 of 32
i wonder if the "punks" these days even get it. whole point of the sex pistols is that you didn't have to be corporate rock musicians to be allowed to express yourself. just grab something that made noise and unleash the fury. hell, the fact that sid couldn't play worth crap WAS punk. why do you think awesome bands like Joy Division started after seeing the Pistols? it's because they thought "what the hell. i could play better then these arseholes!" Punk didn't have any bouncers at the gates.

and you know what? when rotten "sold out" by playing on the thames during the reunion tour? that was totally punk. he was like "screw you wankers who think punk is so damn important. 'Punk' is dead and i'm going to make money off its flea-ridden carcass!"

...that is SO punk.
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 5, 2007 at 9:16 PM Post #18 of 32
exactly Jahn, it was reactionary against the endless Corporate and Prog-Rock acts of the time... they weren't musicians in the traditional sense, they just picked something up and went with it and learned from there, many of them developed their own styles because of it. the endless Post-Punk bands that formed after seeing the Pistols live admittedly didn't know how to play their instruments as well, but made incredible music.

and that last bit about Rotten being punk by selling out and not being punk reminds me of this one scene in South Park, where Stan was recruiting the Goth Kids for his dance troupe. one of them said something like "i'm so non-conformist i'm not conforming with all you other non-conformists!"
biggrin.gif

Feb 5, 2007 at 9:28 PM Post #19 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by gratefulshrink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While I agree with all your choices, I would like to add one very important/influential band to the list:

Dead Kennedys

Abso-freakin'-lutely

Hey OP - See the film, and buy the soundtrack to "Decline of Western Civilization"
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decline...ion_%28Film%29)

Feb 6, 2007 at 12:36 AM Post #20 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and you know what? when rotten "sold out" by playing on the thames during the reunion tour? that was totally punk. he was like "screw you wankers who think punk is so damn important. 'Punk' is dead and i'm going to make money off its flea-ridden carcass!"

...that is SO punk.
evil_smiley.gif

This is the exact reason I went to see the Pistols on the Filthy Lucre reunion tour. They made no bones about the fact that they broke the trail for a million other bands, and never made any money off it. Now itt was time to cash in.

I was 18 years old in 1976 and worked in a record store. When I got the first import single by the Pistols (God Save the Queen I believe. And yes kiddies, on that black vinyl stuff!) I was astounded. Here were kids about my age, saying screw ELP, Yes, Floyd, etc. After being subjected to years of corporate formula, someone was wrenching it out of their hands and having their way with it!
very_evil_smiley.gif
It was a very exciting moment.

And when they decided to make some cash years later, I was more than happy to donate to the cause. They earned it. And you know what? Pick up the Filthy Lucre cd and tell me they still weren't kicking the doors down.

My favorite line from Rotten during the show (and on the cd) - "Fat, Forty, and Back!"

Amen.

Feb 6, 2007 at 2:49 AM Post #21 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicomte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A few months ago, while expanding my musical horizons, I discovered a band called the Sex Pistols. I purchased their one and only studio album, Never Mind The Bollocks (Here's The Sex Pistols) on a whim; thought I might like something new for a change. I can now proudly say the the Pistols may be my favorite band, and Bollocks my favorite album.

I know there's a fair bit of dislike for the Sex Pistols, for various reasons, but I love them anyway. They're not great musicians, not technically skilled or otherwise. Steve Jones is not a revelation, Johnny Rotten isn't an amazing vocalist, Paul Cook couldn't hold a candle to Neil Peart, and Sid Vicious can't even play bass! Glen Matlock could, though...

Perhaps the Pistols were fake, or overrated, but what band isn't? They sound great and are a lot of fun to listen to. Bollocks is recorded very well, and if I had to choose only one album to listen to between now and forever, it just might be the one. I do need to get a copy on vinyl, but then I also need to upgrade my turntable...
icon10.gif

I am proclaiming my love for the Sex Pistols, and also nominating Johnny Rotten as the Greatest Vocalist of All Time. He rants, raves, laughs, screams, and rolls his 'R's. He must have been one Hell of a spectacle.

Who's with me on Team Sex Pistols?

Make sure you get a copy of Spunk

Feb 6, 2007 at 3:08 AM Post #22 of 32
Hell yeah! The Sex Pistols are still one of the best punk bands around, even though they ever only released the one studio album...for me, I wouldn't have it any other way. A real live punk band doesn't exist...it has way too much energy and chaos to exist for too long. Punk bands should basically explode, like the Pistols, in the end. I know there are exceptions...I mean, the Ramones lasted basically all throughout the 80s, the Clash lasted their years, etc etc. But, for basically the first punk band in '77....what a way to make a statement, what a way to stay true to your ethos.

Feb 6, 2007 at 7:13 PM Post #23 of 32
I remember my cousin coming over to the UK about 10 years ago and he wanted to listen to as much English music as he could. I told him about the sex pistols. He listened to the opening line to " Bodies " and it blew him away he couln't belive a band could write songs about abortions. He listened to the album non stop for about a week !!!!!!!!!!!!

Feb 6, 2007 at 7:22 PM Post #24 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lobotomy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Make sure you get a copy of Spunk

I've heard some, actually. It's hardly 'audiophile' quality, to say the least.
biggrin.gif

Feb 6, 2007 at 7:26 PM Post #25 of 32
Quote:

I've heard some, actually. It's hardly 'audiophile' quality, to say the least.
biggrin.gif

you know what is? the remaster of "London Calling" by The Clash. Awesome.

Feb 22, 2007 at 2:08 AM Post #27 of 32
I finally secured a copy of Swindle. It's not nearly as good as Bollocks, which I expected, but it does have a few worthwhile tracks. Sid's cover of 'My Way' is a work of art; I can't really think of another song that really sums up Punk so well. The sound quality isn't great, but it's not horrible.

I'll do more listening before I make too many conclusions. It's hardly unpleasant.
rs1smile.gif

Feb 22, 2007 at 2:29 AM Post #29 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by omegaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I remember my cousin coming over to the UK about 10 years ago and he wanted to listen to as much English music as he could. I told him about the sex pistols. He listened to the opening line to " Bodies " and it blew him away he couln't belive a band could write songs about abortions. He listened to the album non stop for about a week !!!!!!!!!!!!

John Lydon wrote about the topic of abortion a few years later, as Public Image Ltd. on the song "The Body," although the lyrics are less obvious and forced. thought i throw this little tidbit out.

Feb 22, 2007 at 3:31 AM Post #30 of 32
Quote:

I finally secured a copy of Swindle. It's not nearly as good as Bollocks, which I expected, but it does have a few worthwhile tracks. Sid's cover of 'My Way' is a work of art; I can't really think of another song that really sums up Punk so well. The sound quality isn't great, but it's not horrible.

I'll do more listening before I make too many conclusions. It's hardly unpleasant.
rs1smile.gif

The choice cuts from r/r swindle (many cover tracks):
-rock round the clock/johnny b goode/roadrunner (medley with lyrics for roadrunner being "improvised")
-anarchy UK (this is supposed to be superior to "bullocks" version)
-silly thing
-stepping stone
-lonely boy
-something else
-belsen was a gas
-my way
-c'mon everybody
-r/r swindle

Now there are several pure junk tracks, but this is supposed to be strange cheeky UK humor like Monty Python I suppose......also a few of the other cover tracks are weak efforts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back