Setting Up DX50 - File Manager, etc.
Oct 2, 2013 at 10:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

CorwinGraves

New Head-Fier
Hello all - 

I got in on the 5th batch of DX50 players and will be receiving the player sometime after October 11th. Being and iPod guy for many years, I'm used to Itunes for managing my music, though obviously that will have to change. My questions are as follows: 

1. Is there a file manager that people prefer to manage their music?  

2. How should I go about loading files onto the micro SD card? I'd like them organized by album and with cover art if possible. 

Thanks, 

Corwin

Dec 24, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #4 of 9
Hello all - 

I got in on the 5th batch of DX50 players and will be receiving the player sometime after October 11th. Being and iPod guy for many years, I'm used to Itunes for managing my music, though obviously that will have to change. My questions are as follows: 

2. How should I go about loading files onto the micro SD card? I'd like them organized by album and with cover art if possible. 

Thanks, 

Corwin

There is no file manager as such nor can one be installed, but the very intuitive UI is organized by all music, album, artist and genre tabs. The fastest way to load music is via a card reader attached to your computer. File transfer is much faster using a reader rather than connecting the DX50 via USB.

Personally, I just create and name on my computer a folder for each of my ripped or downloaded album or group of albums that want to show under "albums" in the UI and it works just fine. Album art shows ok on all but .wav files (which do not carry the metatag info)

I have never attempted to tag or retag any of my music files using the various tagging programs and the above method of transferring music has worked perfectly without freezes or any other issues. I also use the DX50 playlist function and from time to time drop a favorite file into a playlist. Although one cannot name or rename a playlist, the basic function works just fine.

Dec 24, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #5 of 9
  Hello all - 

Thanks, 

Corwin

A lot of people prefer iTunes, Foobar and Mediamonkey for managing music.

Dec 24, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #6 of 9
Thanks for the replies. On a side note, can anyone comment on the  SQ as it compares to popular portable USB DAC/Amps like the Dragonfly or Frio E-10 or uDAC-2 or microStreamer?

Jan 1, 2014 at 5:17 AM Post #8 of 9
Lots use JRiver Media Center. I do for my DX50 and it works great. JRMC, as I'm sure others do, will output your music to the DX50 (internal or external) storage in whatever folder hierarchy you set up (e.g. Artist/Album). It has a ton of functions and media capabilities but it is a very slick for just the audio portion. It will also output embedded art as a file in the same folder so the DX50 picks up the artwork. Not free software however.

Jan 1, 2014 at 6:22 AM Post #9 of 9
I got a dx50 yesterday, and after years of using so called media managers, I just do it all manually now with the help of dbpoweramp. I have a huge external NAS drive (all mirrored/backed up), with a single music folder, all tracks ripped to folders named after artist/album. Tracks ripped to FLAC, and dbpoweramp grabs the album art to a file called folder.jpg in the album folder. Not had a single issue with the dx50, although random art wouldn't show on my cowon c2, despite the meta data being consistent :confused:

I just copy whatever stuff I want to memory cards manually on my PC, don't bother with syncing software these days after many a screw up :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back