Setting up a DAC and Amp stack
Nov 13, 2018 at 1:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Jephre

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I've always been a portable user, but I'm getting my first standalone desktop amp (Massdrop x THX AAA 789 amp) and standalone desktop DAC (Topping D30). I'll be playing these mostly out of my laptop, so I was wondering how I would set these up.

I see the Topping D30 has the following outputs - Line Out, S/PDIF (Coaxial + optical ports), and USB port. The Massdrop x THX AAA 789 amp has SE Input (left and right) and separate balanced inputs (left and right).

I'm assuming I would get something like this to connect the Topping D30 Line Out to the THX AAA 789 SE input? How would I connect my Topping D30 to my laptop (MacBook Pro w/2 USB 3.0 ports, 2 lightning ports, 1 hdmi port, and a 3.5mm jack)?

Nov 14, 2018 at 1:27 AM Post #2 of 4
USB should be fine.
Some Macbooks will offer S/PDIF optical output, from the 3.5mm line-output/headphone jack.

Nov 14, 2018 at 4:37 AM Post #3 of 4
I see the Topping D30 has the following outputs - Line Out, S/PDIF (Coaxial + optical ports), and USB port. The Massdrop x THX AAA 789 amp has SE Input (left and right) and separate balanced inputs (left and right).

RCA Line Out are the only outputs from the D30. SPDIF and USB are inputs into the D30.

I've always been a portable user, but I'm getting my first standalone desktop amp (Massdrop x THX AAA 789 amp) and standalone desktop DAC (Topping D30). I'll be playing these mostly out of my laptop, so I was wondering how I would set these up.

I'm assuming I would get something like this to connect the Topping D30 Line Out to the THX AAA 789 SE input? How would I connect my Topping D30 to my laptop (MacBook Pro w/2 USB 3.0 ports, 2 lightning ports, 1 hdmi port, and a 3.5mm jack)?

Just use a USB cable to connect the Macbook to the D30, then use an RCA analogue pair from the D30 to the 789. Just make sure the USB cable has the correct USB plugs on each end, ie, Macbook side needs to be USB-A or USB-C (depending on what you have) and then the D30 side needs to be USB-B, the full size and not the mini (what portables use) nor mico (what Androids used before USB-C).

Nov 14, 2018 at 10:54 AM Post #4 of 4
Thanks guys, this is very helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back