September 16th Vancouver Head-Fi MEET!
Sep 19, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #391 of 408
Thanks for organizing the meet!  There were a ton of choices there, really overwhelming amount of possible combinations.  Highlights for me were definitely:

HifIMan HE-500 (~$800) - When I first heard this out of the Burson HA-160d (expensive USB DAC/AMP) I thought they easily bested the LCD-2s/3s in some electronic/hip hop.  Deeper, more controlled bass and also much more comfortable fit on the head.  Something about the headstage was a little move removed than the LCD-2s "in your face" headstage, which was a good thing.  I find the LCD-2s sound stage makes listening fatiguing sometimes.  Then I played them through some less powerful amps and was disappointed by the sound.  It was nothing special through a lot of the small amps.  I thought maybe I had heard wrong in the beginning, so I took it back to the Burson again, and wow they still sounded great.  So it seems they need a nice amp.  The LCD-2s/3s were much easier to drive in comparison, and sounded great through lesser amps.

The LCD-3s still sounded much better on female vocals.  That was definitely the thing the HE-500 was lacking, even nicely amped.

LCD-3s (~$2000)- Awesome headphone.  Pads softer and more comfortable than the LCD-2s.  As an ex owner of a pair of LCD2s, and now an owner of the LCD3s (got a great deal on them), they really don't sound too much different.  If someone gave me an LCD-2 with zebrawood cups, I don't think I would have noticed.  I would probably be able to tell the difference if I a/b'ed them in a quiet room.

Audiotechnica ATH-w1000x (~$500)- This was the biggest surprise of the event for me.  I almost didn't try them because I thought they wouldn't be a decent headphone.  I tried plugging them straight into my Nokia 5230 phone, and they sounded amazing completely unamped.  They had a bit of isolation, but didn't give my ears that "I'm clamped under an airtight headphone" feeling that I hate.  I expected them to sound somewhat like Beyerdynamic's closed headphone line, but they had a much wider sound stage, were easier to drive and had a much cleaner sound overall.  I've been mulling over getting a pair now, because I could actually use them on the bus and on the go (mowing the lawn, doing laundry, etc).  I don't think it gets much better for an unamped, semiclosed headphone.  Maybe someone can prove me wrong?

There were a pair of ATH-w3000anv (~$1000) there as well, but I couldn't tell the difference with a 2 minute listening session, all the background noise, and no amp.  They sounded great unamped as well.  Would love to listen to them both a little more in a quiet room, good source, etc and really see how they compare.

----

Planx - Glad you liked those tracks!  They're amazing.  Anyone who hasn't heard it yet, definitely has to download the Ultrasone Demo CD.  Track 1 is the best binaural recording I've ever heard, and I've heard a lot.

There were a ton of other great phones there too, but those were the ones that really surprised me.

Sep 19, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #392 of 408
If you were the one who got the LCD3 from Bodhi Jones, I am soooooo pissed right now haha I called the day he sold em and I was so upset :frowning2:
Quote:
Thanks for organizing the meet!  There were a ton of choices there, really overwhelming amount of possible combinations.  Highlights for me were definitely:

HifIMan HE-500 (~$800) - When I first heard this out of the Burson HA-160d (expensive USB DAC/AMP) I thought they easily bested the LCD-2s/3s in some electronic/hip hop.  Deeper, more controlled bass and also much more comfortable fit on the head.  Something about the headstage was a little move removed than the LCD-2s "in your face" headstage, which was a good thing.  I find the LCD-2s sound stage makes listening fatiguing sometimes.  Then I played them through some less powerful amps and was disappointed by the sound.  It was nothing special through a lot of the small amps.  I thought maybe I had heard wrong in the beginning, so I took it back to the Burson again, and wow they still sounded great.  So it seems they need a nice amp.  The LCD-2s/3s were much easier to drive in comparison, and sounded great through lesser amps.

The LCD-3s still sounded much better on female vocals.  That was definitely the thing the HE-500 was lacking, even nicely amped.

LCD-3s (~$2000)- Awesome headphone.  Pads softer and more comfortable than the LCD-2s.  As an ex owner of a pair of LCD2s, and now an owner of the LCD3s (got a great deal on them), they really don't sound too much different.  If someone gave me an LCD-2 with zebrawood cups, I don't think I would have noticed.  I would probably be able to tell the difference if I a/b'ed them in a quiet room.

Audiotechnica ATH-w1000x (~$500)- This was the biggest surprise of the event for me.  I almost didn't try them because I thought they wouldn't be a decent headphone.  I tried plugging them straight into my Nokia 5230 phone, and they sounded amazing completely unamped.  They had a bit of isolation, but didn't give my ears that "I'm clamped under an airtight headphone" feeling that I hate.  I expected them to sound somewhat like Beyerdynamic's closed headphone line, but they had a much wider sound stage, were easier to drive and had a much cleaner sound overall.  I've been mulling over getting a pair now, because I could actually use them on the bus and on the go (mowing the lawn, doing laundry, etc).  I don't think it gets much better for an unamped, semiclosed headphone.  Maybe someone can prove me wrong?

There were a pair of ATH-w3000anv (~$1000) there as well, but I couldn't tell the difference with a 2 minute listening session, all the background noise, and no amp.  They sounded great unamped as well.  Would love to listen to them both a little more in a quiet room, good source, etc and really see how they compare.

----

Planx - Glad you liked those tracks!  They're amazing.  Anyone who hasn't heard it yet, definitely has to download the Ultrasone Demo CD.  Track 1 is the best binaural recording I've ever heard, and I've heard a lot.

There were a ton of other great phones there too, but those were the ones that really surprised me.

Sep 19, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #393 of 408
Quote:
If you were the one who got the LCD3 from Bodhi Jones, I am soooooo pissed right now haha I called the day he sold em and I was so upset :frowning2:

I can neither confirm nor deny that statement...  Sorry man, really needed some new ones after my last ones got stolen!

Sep 20, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #394 of 408
Sell them to me 
very_evil_smiley.gif
 I'll happily give up my LCD2 and my custom cable + $$ :)) profitttt
Quote:

I can neither confirm nor deny that statement...  Sorry man, really needed some new ones after my last ones got stolen!

Jan 3, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #396 of 408
Ok, that last Vancouver meet was awesome - I just wish I could have made it! Is there another one planned?

Jan 5, 2013 at 3:57 AM Post #398 of 408
*hides away*

February seems a bit too close for another big meet to go down. If I were to suggest the next meet, it would be around the same time again, September. This is because the majority of people should be coming back around August-September from their vacations. June-July is difficult to work around with. Feb is also difficult as a lot of people have school to attend, including myself.

Jan 7, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #399 of 408
Ok, that last Vancouver meet was awesome - I just wish I could have made it! Is there another one planned?

Tons of mini-meets to quench your thirst in between the big ones. Just had one with some Richmond and Surrey people a week and a half ago.

I think there was some interest for a Van Island meet. Even a thread for it somewhere. Usually I visit near Duncan during March/April. A seaside meet in the spring, woot!

Not very familiar with the location though, places to set up, etc. So wouldn't be able to organize if it was on the island. Maybe could do one in Van, but as mentioned, more people would be available in September (though March/April would be better for me). See how it goes when I get back. Definitely up to help organize. Great weather last meet.

Jan 10, 2013 at 2:53 AM Post #401 of 408
Quote:
Tons of mini-meets to quench your thirst in between the big ones. Just had one with some Richmond and Surrey people a week and a half ago.

I think there was some interest for a Van Island meet. Even a thread for it somewhere. Usually I visit near Duncan during March/April. A seaside meet in the spring, woot!

Not very familiar with the location though, places to set up, etc. So wouldn't be able to organize if it was on the island. Maybe could do one in Van, but as mentioned, more people would be available in September (though March/April would be better for me). See how it goes when I get back. Definitely up to help organize. Great weather last meet.

Yeah, a Van Isle meet would work. Duncan around March/April would work. Now we just have to find that special someone who has the right stuff to organize it!

Quote:
Wayne if you're over on the mainland send us a PM we'll do the headphone tour - Headphone Bar, then maybe some studio monitor fun at Long & McQuade.  That's good as a meet!

Awesome inline - thanks! Throw in a pint somewhere, and it's better than a meet
beerchug.gif

Jan 11, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #402 of 408
Quote:

Oh really?  I wish I'd known, I'm a Surrey people and would have enjoyed that....!  Keep me in mind for the next one, if you could? 

Jan 16, 2013 at 2:05 AM Post #403 of 408
Quote:

Oh really?  I wish I'd known, I'm a Surrey people and would have enjoyed that....!  Keep me in mind for the next one, if you could? 

Will see if another one comes up. Last one was more of a dinner with close friends than a meet really.

Quote:
Yeah, a Van Isle meet would work. Duncan around March/April would work. Now we just have to find that special someone who has the right stuff to organize it!

Know any island-fiers able and willing? Genuinely interested in helping set something up while I'm there. PM me, or just move to the Van Island thread.

I think nick n's on the island as well. Won't hurt to ask.

Jan 31, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #404 of 408
Hi, I'm Bruce Stanley with Madrona Digital in Bellevue Washington. I used to work for Resolution Audio in Ballard a few years ago, and at Resolution we held an event for Head Fi.
Whom could I contact to sponsor a similar get together in our new Bellevue Showroom?
We have a beautiful facility and would like to get to know some of you guys, and possibly become dealers for some of the various products out there.

Thank you,

Bruce Stanley 425 440 6206

Users who are viewing this thread

Back