September 16th Vancouver Head-Fi MEET!
Sep 17, 2012 at 2:09 AM Post #379 of 408
Bullies.. I thought it was an absolute marvel! I kept on thinking, "why would people want a HD700 instead of this". I suppose everyone has different tastes and etc

Sep 17, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #380 of 408
I found just as the HD700s disappointed in the treble, the SRH1840s did so with the bass. The disappointing part is, both headphones sound really good apart from that.

Then again, negativity is never really a good thing. They both look stunning, though.

Sep 17, 2012 at 2:14 AM Post #381 of 408
I thought the bass was good enough (I'm a bit used to bass light headphones), but the treble did bother me a little on the SRH1840. It just felt like the HD700 were a mere shadow of the HD800. It was an overall good headphone, but it just kept on feeling like a detuned HD800.

Sep 17, 2012 at 2:27 AM Post #383 of 408
Quote:

This is actually a copper based Spore, it is a bit less expensive than that, but not an official offering.

Hey DHC! I tried Girls Generation's DHC 2-pin CIEM cable and I was interested in getting one for my UM. Really stunned by your craftsmanship and GG really went into detail about DHC with me during and after the meet.

Sep 17, 2012 at 2:27 AM Post #384 of 408
My benchmark for bass quantity are the K701s. They have to me the most "in-between" amount of bass on headphones. So yes, bass-lite is not a problem. The problem is that the notes are too rounded, everything is not tight enough, there is little impact whatsoever. I kept trying to see if I had a bad fit, because I honestly thought it wouldn't be so bad. Everything else was pretty inoffensive. The mids seem forward, but can be resonant and a bit hollow on some songs though, which is rather unintuitive. Treble is slightly worse than the K701s, but not as bad as the T70p (regular T70s are a bit better)

I never got the point of the HD700s. What's the point of a mini-HD800? Why mess it up so bad? Why do I have to take them off immediately after one song because the cymbals and vocals slice my ears? Why couldn't they have just upgraded the HD6xx line? Why can't Tang taste like real orange? These are the questions that may forever lie unanswered...

Sep 17, 2012 at 2:29 AM Post #385 of 408
Hey Planx, look forward to talking with you in the future, although it will have to be via email :)

Sep 17, 2012 at 2:34 AM Post #386 of 408
I'll send you an email sometime soon. Expect an email from a potential customer 
wink.gif

Sep 17, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #387 of 408
Again, though I need more time and quiet atmosphere to really say, I was largely impressed by the Spore with the HD800 this time. I saw that some others noticed as well how the Spore improved upon the HD800s.

The CIEM cable definitely impressed a few of you guys so I'm glad I succeeded in evangelizing :wink:

I was really impressed by the Mjolnir, like I was expecting. I'm going to have to give it a further listen to really measure.

Also the V200/V800 combination was a pleasant combo to listen to. It was definitely alot more refined in sound than something like the O2/ODAC.

Rather than actually listening to gear, I spent most of the time talking to the people, and I enjoyed it a lot! I was scrambling to listen to the LCD3 at the end haha.

A big thank you to planx and Travis at Headphonebar for organizing the meet, and let us make this happen again in the future!

Sep 17, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #388 of 408
I also want to add my thanks to the organizers for a great meet!

Even though I only spent a short time there, it was nice to be in the company of people with similar interests.  It's great to _not_ feel like the only audiophile in a sea of ear buds, monster beats, and bose so I may have also contributed more to the chatter than to the listening.  Thanks to all for being friendly and open - it's rare to see people happily respect totally different opinions!

On the equipment side, I went through things pretty quickly, but it was a real treat to see/feel the stuff you never get to see:  The LCDs, big Senns, and Denons (D2000 was a real eye-opener!).  But I think the real special headphone I met yesterday was the XB500 - it's just this little thing in its own little world with a totally different feel and sound from everything else.  Such character is what makes this hobby so interesting (and hard on the pocket books)!

Sep 17, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #389 of 408
Quote:

I think the real special headphone I met yesterday was the XB500 - it's just this little thing in its own little world with a totally different feel and sound from everything else.  Such character is what makes this hobby so interesting (and hard on the pocket books)!

This is why I love my XB500s. They're not for listening to every detail of a classical piece or folk song, they're just fun. Using them to listen to electronic music with the digiZoid Zo can really blow your mind.

Sep 18, 2012 at 3:21 AM Post #390 of 408
Quote:
Again, though I need more time and quiet atmosphere to really say, I was largely impressed by the Spore with the HD800 this time. I saw that some others noticed as well how the Spore improved upon the HD800s.

Indeed. If i had the money to spend, i'd be buying them =)

Was a fun time,. Shoulda brought my stuff to see how other headphones sounded on it, but whatever live n learn. Definitely going to get hd800s sometime in nxt few months.

Ty to organizers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back