SENSE G1B Tube Headphone AMP/USB DAC
Aug 12, 2016 at 10:31 AM Post #16 of 17

Well I am thinking of trying the new version. But there are not enough information and review online so I have some doubs...
Can you please update the information if you try the dac/amp with a good headphone? How is the hiss level? Resolutio, distortion, soundstage, etc?
Which tubes are you using? From one of the product pages in Aliexpress I can understand there are 2 different tube brands to choose from (one is Chinese the other is a Russian brand).
Thanks!

Hi Baycode,

Will do, I'm looking at purchasing a Sennheiser HD650, but debating holding off until March or so, saving for a vacation.

Hiss level is higher than anticipated, this could be the 2P2J Beijing tubes, not really sure technically what might cause that.Distortion, other than the usual tube distortion, is minimal, it does have a warm feel, the pairing class A amp and tube preamp stage performs very well, and I haven't heard clipping or harshness when pushed.

It's a budget tube headphone amp that I feel hits well above the price point -- about the cost of a nice dinner and drinks. Decent amount of power, my first foray into tubes, and seriously impressed with the sound. The C-Media USB DAC may have something to do with it, from what I've read

Downsides, poor signal to noise ratio / hiss, when moving the headphone cord there can be the occasional ringing, assuming this is the tubes. When I'm listening, I don't really notice the hiss, but it is audible when no source is playing.

Aug 13, 2016 at 6:32 AM Post #17 of 17
Hi Baycode,

Will do, I'm looking at purchasing a Sennheiser HD650, but debating holding off until March or so, saving for a vacation.

Hiss level is higher than anticipated, this could be the 2P2J Beijing tubes, not really sure technically what might cause that.Distortion, other than the usual tube distortion, is minimal, it does have a warm feel, the pairing class A amp and tube preamp stage performs very well, and I haven't heard clipping or harshness when pushed.

It's a budget tube headphone amp that I feel hits well above the price point -- about the cost of a nice dinner and drinks. Decent amount of power, my first foray into tubes, and seriously impressed with the sound. The C-Media USB DAC may have something to do with it, from what I've read

Downsides, poor signal to noise ratio / hiss, when moving the headphone cord there can be the occasional ringing, assuming this is the tubes. When I'm listening, I don't really notice the hiss, but it is audible when no source is playing.

Thanks for your reply Joel!

I will be using it with my 200 and + ohm full size headphones so I assume hissing wouldnt be a problem. Looking forward to your impressions if you try the dac/amp with a full sized headphone in the future. Comparisons with some other dac/amps will be a welcome. Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back