Senns? Or something else?
Oct 2, 2009 at 1:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

jj94

100+ Head-Fier
Alright, so I've been reading up on some cans for a while and, more and more, I've fallen towards the HD650's. Most of what I've read say that it has a good treble and mids that aren't sacrificed due to the dark nature of the cans, and that the bass is simply excellent. The more I read up on it, the more I wanted them. However, I'm afraid that these may be *too* bassy for me. I don't have any experience with cans, so I can't really compare them to anything. I listen to my music right now out of C710's. The warmth of them isn't overwhelming to me, and the level of bass it has is good for me. I can't say whether I'd like more or less, as I think I have to hear it to know if I'd want it or not. I'm happy with the mids and treble on these too. So, noting that I like the C710's, how do the HD650's compare?
I listen to a bit of everything - bunch of different subgenres within Korean music, rap, hip hop, alternative, and classical to name the most common. Does it seem like the HD650's are really for me? When I get some more cash, I plan on getting a Little Dot MKIV (or MKIV SE) and...well I'm not really set on my DAC of choice yet. I'd love to be able to demo these cans some time, but I don't know where I can go to hear them.

Oct 2, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #2 of 24
I do think that the 650 does all of the genres you mentioned very well (I listen to some late 90's/early 2000's Korean music like Cool, Shinhwa, and Sung Si Kyong, as well as a lot of alternative rock and hip hop). It doesn't really sound offensive with any genre and that's their strength. Seeing that you have the C701 (which I demoed and roughly know the sound signature) and Bose Companion, both of which tend to favour bass, I think you should feel right at home with the HD650's bass. Most people (including me) do conceed that they're a bit coloured, but it's just a bit, without being overly coloured like a Denon or Grado.

Oct 3, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #3 of 24
Thanks K19. Just curious, but to anyone that can answer this, are there any more cans I should consider around the $350 max price range that would fit my tastes and music? I know some people may think the C710's treble is slightly harsh, but I don't think that too often. Stronger mids (at least in comparison to the C710's) would be nice, warm and reasonably forward mids. Good, accurate, and punchy bass is of course good for me, though nothing TOO overpowering. I'd like good sound stage out of my cans, but nothing too wide that would make me feel as if the cans were off of my ears. Airiness is important to me too, I hate hearing instrumental music and just feeling that...all the sounds are mixed in together. I'd really like transparency too. The clarity from my IEM's are astounding and I'd love to have the same clarity from cans. Would the HD650's fit this?

Oct 3, 2009 at 2:28 AM Post #4 of 24
Hi,

I own both the hd650s and the k701s which are within your price range. I've also got the cardas cable upgrade for the hd650s which i think makes quite a big difference in clearing up the bass/midbass and bringout out the mids which has the effect of removing the "veil".

For the genres you mentioned i think that both the K701 and hd650s would do a good job. If you want a bigger soundstage then the k701s definately provide. If your worried about there being too much bass then i think the k701s are a very good alternative, providing nice deep bass without the extra midbass of the hd650s. The k701s don't provide as much bass but it goes just as deep if not deeper. I think instrument separation is better on the k701s.

I think it'd definately be in your interests to have a look at the k701s as an alternative to the hd650s. I have never heard the c710s so i can't comment on how they sound in comparison to them. Ultimately i don't really think you can go wrong with the hd650s but the k701s need an amp which provides a lot of current to really bring out the best in them. If you do get the hd650s i'd definately recommend a cable upgrade as the difference is significant enough to justify the additional cost (so long as it isn't retail of course
wink_face.gif
)

Hope this helps.

Oct 3, 2009 at 2:44 AM Post #5 of 24
The C710's are pretty bassy IEM's. I suppose I am a bit of a basshead. The bass I don't want to hear is the uncontrolled, excessively boomy type. Along the likes of Bose, for example. Thanks, I'll look into the K701 too. I've read that the bumps along the headband can get uncomfortable though...

Oct 3, 2009 at 2:57 AM Post #6 of 24
The bumps aren't a problem for me but it depends on your head shape and how much hair you have. I've even got the version with 7 bumps which is supposed to be very uncomfortable but i find that the k701s are more comfortable than the hd650s.

If you like a lot of bass then i'd go with the hd650s. They provide a lot more bass than the k701s but you wouldn't decribe the bass as boomy or muddy. There is a bit of an emphasis on the midbass though which i guess some people might associate with muddiness.

Amplification is very important for both headphones so you'd definately need to get an amp as well to get good sound out of these headphones.

Oct 3, 2009 at 3:31 AM Post #8 of 24
If your a basshead i've listened to a pair of dt770s modded with wood earcups and ear cups. I have to say that these have HUGE bass with the biggest impact out of any headphone i've heard. I find the bass to be overpowering and the frequency response overly emphasises the bass and the highs neglecting the mids. But it might be another option for you particularly as it is a closed can. The hd650s and k701s with their open design leak a lot of sound and let in a lot of ambient noise.

I've never heard any of little dots amps but it should be enough to power the hd650s, maybe not so much the k701s though.

Oct 3, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #9 of 24
Wood mods are out of the question right now. I've checked out the wooden cups and they're EXPEN$IVE. I can't see myself spending that much just on modifications. I've thought about the D2000 with the markl mod, but I got the general feel that the HD650 had better accuracy and overall sound as a whole. As for the open cans, I don't mind as I'll be using them at home and my house is pretty quiet for the most part, and my mom shouldn't be able to hear the leaked sound if I keep my door closed. As for the amps, the MKIV and HD650 is a nice match. I checked out one of the MKIV SE review threads that was used primarily with the HD650 and many people liked that particular match.

Oct 3, 2009 at 4:50 AM Post #11 of 24
Well in that case it looks like your all set. You can't really go wrong with the hd650s. I don't think anyone could say that they find their sound particularly offensive. Rather they may have preferences for other phones as a matter of personal taste.

Oct 3, 2009 at 5:19 AM Post #12 of 24
If you're worried about excessive bass, why not get the HD-600 instead? They have a much better balance than the HD-650 while still having much of the same sound signature.

Oct 3, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #13 of 24
Ehh. Call me crazy, but the mottled headband on it really turns me off. I'm pretty anal about looks. But I figured that the HD650's would be a better buy, at, especially since the price is only a bit higher than the HD600's, and is newer. I know my reasoning is all wrong, but that was just my first impression. How much less bass does the 600's have?

Oct 3, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #14 of 24
I haven't tried the HD600, but I have the HD650 and my gf owns the K701. Something about the K701 just sounds a bit weird. It's fine on it's own, but whenever I switch back to my HD650s they sound a lot better. The bass is in no way overpowering. I'd describe it as robust. Based on what you've said, I'd go with the HD650

Oct 3, 2009 at 6:30 PM Post #15 of 24
IMO,the 650 is better,but i tested them some years back out of a nad integrated amp(don't remember model)and a yamaha cd player(also don't remember the model),so i would like to test them again sometime,side by side with my hd 600.

It gave me the impression of a more refined hd 600,with better/clearer treble somewhat smoother mids,and a bit tighter bass impact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back