Sennheisser HD280 pro vs HD 25
Jun 5, 2005 at 11:41 AM Post #31 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamirus99
Here's a question: at headphonereviews.org, the HD-25SP is listed as having a bigger soundstage than the HD-25....is this true? I'd take the slight hit in audio performance for headphones with a bigger soundstage and are a hundred bucks cheaper.

Can anybody who has owned both cans comment on this issue? (And talk about basic differences between the two?) I am not afraid of spending more money- I just want to make sure it's well spent.

I'll bet that that's got something to do with the cable.
The stock HD25-1s have a steel cable. Which takes away every bit of soundstage that they have. Swap it with a copper cable and the sounds improves a lot and it even gets a bit of soundstage. If the HD25SPs have a copper cable stock it seems likely to me that they have a better soundstage.
Note that I haven't heard the SPs so my opinion is based on speculation.

Jun 5, 2005 at 12:03 PM Post #32 of 36
I've heard the only way to replace the cable for the HD-25 is to invert one of the earcups, or something to that effect, which supposedly makes them less of a portable can...is this true?

Jun 5, 2005 at 12:17 PM Post #33 of 36
Quote:

I've heard the only way to replace the cable for the HD-25 is to invert one of the earcups, or something to that effect, which supposedly makes them less of a portable can...is this true?

You can flip over the ear cups on the HD-25 and insert another cable (With the same plugs). It makes them less portable because you use a different cable, so it could make them MORE protable as well. Inverting the ear cups is very easy, anybody can do it. (Or just about, you need to find a screw driver...)

Jun 5, 2005 at 12:23 PM Post #34 of 36
Quote:

Depends on what cable you chose. In Europe (Germany to be specific) you can buy a replacement cable for the HD25-13 and that one fits perfectly but the cable is long and has an 1/4 plug. So you need and 1/4 -> 1/8 adapter cable or if you have basic DIY skills you can shorten the cable and put an 1/8 plug on it. Maybe you can contact Jan Meier and ask if he sells them. (Just a thought as he's in Germany and sells HD25-1s.)

The other option is to remove the earcups and put them back on with the connectors facing down instead of up. You can just remove the cups by pulling them all the way down, no special skills neccecary.

And there was also someone with a really simple and clean mod. In this thread. Genius mod if you ask me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 5, 2005 at 12:24 PM Post #35 of 36
Quote:

Depending on where you live you can order the HD25-13 OFC cable (part no. 74532). If the 1/4" jack is a problem, cut it, and solder on a 1/8" mini plug instead.

Jun 5, 2005 at 12:28 PM Post #36 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by PDream
You can flip over the ear cups on the HD-25 and insert another cable (With the same plugs). It makes them less portable because you use a different cable, so it could make them MORE protable as well. Inverting the ear cups is very easy, anybody can do it. (Or just about, you need to find a screw driver...)

Huh? I didn't break my HD25s when I accidently pulled a cup of the headband. Could put them back on with no damage done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back