Sennheisser HD280 pro vs HD 25
Mar 30, 2005 at 12:08 AM Post #18 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nak Man
I was about to say hd25, IF you have good seal on your ears. They sit closer to ear canal so probably isolates more effectively. I'm a bit lazy to compare them now but there's a good measurement:

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCom...Type=2&graphID[]=189&graphID[]=213

Umm... thats a freq response chart for the akg 71's. bad link
tongue.gif

Mar 30, 2005 at 1:49 AM Post #19 of 36
Thanks for clearing up the Hawaii spam post. Now everyone's post makes some sense.

Mar 30, 2005 at 6:22 AM Post #20 of 36
So it sounds like the 25s are the better overall headphones, but the 280s are the value pick. Since I'm trying to decide between these two (I considered the Beyer 831s before I took them out of the running), if I can afford it (which I'm fairly certain I can), is it worth it to spend the extra dough for the 25s (considering I'd be using them as portable phones)?

Edit: I'd be using it mainly out of my iRiver flash mp3 player and also occasionally out of my computer, and was wondering if it was worth it for me to spend approxmiately $100 more for the 25s (generally speaking)?

Mar 30, 2005 at 6:45 AM Post #21 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Donut
So it sounds like the 25s are the better overall headphones, but the 280s are the value pick. Since I'm trying to decide between these two (I considered the Beyer 831s before I took them out of the running), if I can afford it (which I'm fairly certain I can), is it worth it to spend the extra dough for the 25s (considering I'd be using them as portable phones)?

Edit: I'd be using it mainly out of my iRiver flash mp3 player and also occasionally out of my computer, and was wondering if it was worth it for me to spend approxmiately $100 more for the 25s (generally speaking)?

Do you have a sound card? If so what sound card is it? What is your music ripped at (bitrate) ? What computer audio player do you use (foobar,wmp,itunes,etc) ? What ripper do you use (EAC,CDex,etc)?

Mar 30, 2005 at 6:55 AM Post #22 of 36
turtle beach santa cruz sound card, variable bitrate (at least 192), use both foobar and wmp, typically use lame...i typically use the headphone jack out of my speakers (logitech z-5300s), but i can hook them up directly to the sound card...

Mar 30, 2005 at 7:06 AM Post #23 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Donut
turtle beach santa cruz sound card, variable bitrate (at least 192), use both foobar and wmp, typically use lame...i typically use the headphone jack out of my speakers (logitech z-5300s), but i can hook them up directly to the sound card...

even if i had the money i think i would still have a problem spending more than 100 dollars on a closed can. That aside i think you should notice the difference between them pretty easily with that setup and even more if you upgrade your sound card. Its up to you now, i wouldnt spend that much on a closed can (i had a little trouble justifying my 280's) unless i had to, but you might. so its your decision. Do you want to spend the extra $$ on a smaller, more portable headphone, that has the characteristics it does compared to the 280 (make a quick review of whats been said about the two cans)?

Good Luck, dont worry about it too much. Either way you'll be one happy camper
280smile.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 30, 2005 at 9:53 AM Post #25 of 36
OK, I put up the post because I want the best headphones period... that will sound great even running straight from a zen micro or an ipod. I cannot afford the supposedly kickass UE10pro, I'm thinking $200 or under. I have a px100, sounds ok for some music but are grainy, and lacking in upper midrange bite and highs. bass is a little boomy. I have my old hd580s: not that good with my zen micro. a little boring. I have Grado SR60s and the bass is a little dirty and percussions and drums seem unorganized (sounds too thick). Ive heard a900s were good straight off a portable headphone jack and so is the dt860. From my research, these cans seem like they have the kind of sound I am looking for. I've never heard shures or etys and am also interested in those but i hate it when the sound lacks highs or is unnatural in any way. How are the shure E4cs, do they have highs? are the etys natural sounding? Damn, I have a lot of questions and would be happy if anyone can give me enlightening answers.

Mar 30, 2005 at 3:10 PM Post #26 of 36
While I'd really like the 25s, I find I cannot justify the extra $100 it would cost (especially since I see myself ordering a pair of phones such as the A900s in the somewhat near future). So I am going to order myself a pair of 280s.

Y'know, it's a love hate relationship with this website...

Mar 30, 2005 at 6:07 PM Post #27 of 36
I don't have the hd25s but have the hd25sp - which sounds ok but is the same size and shape as the 25, i believe.

I don't think either phones are really portable. The hd280s foldup into a big ball - fit in my coat but summer is coming. the 25sp pair don't fold. Both look like they are going to need a backpack to carry.

I got some ksc75s but I don't think they are in the same ballpark and are only slightly more portable - medium small but I wouldn' put them in my shirt or pants pocket.

I am looking at canal phones now. Maybe I will continue to use my hd280s outside - but with the warm months coming up here in the USA they might not get as much use as they did in the winter. No coat pocket to put them in and warm sweat building up inside my ears!

Just my thoughts if they help.

Mar 30, 2005 at 9:17 PM Post #28 of 36
Yeah, I was a bit concerned about the 280s in the summer, so I went ahead and ordered myself a pair of KSC75s as my ultraportables (as I cannot stand fitting earphones into my ear)...

Jun 5, 2005 at 9:31 AM Post #29 of 36
I wanted to craify that the majority of the first page of this post the Hd25 that every one is refering to, is it the HD 25 Sp or the -1 's? Also how does the bass of the Hd25sp compare to the 280?

Jun 5, 2005 at 11:06 AM Post #30 of 36
Here's a question: at headphonereviews.org, the HD-25SP is listed as having a bigger soundstage than the HD-25....is this true? I'd take the slight hit in audio performance for headphones with a bigger soundstage and are a hundred bucks cheaper.

Can anybody who has owned both cans comment on this issue? (And talk about basic differences between the two?) I am not afraid of spending more money- I just want to make sure it's well spent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back