Sennheiser's IE800 or Shure's SE846
Feb 8, 2015 at 8:36 PM Post #16 of 32
I do agree with you guys that the midrange of the 846 can be a bit much.  For me, it really depends the track and how they recorded it.  Sometimes they sound completely balanced and beautiful.  These are really dynamic headphones.

Between the ie800, what really sealed the deal for me was the spiking highs and microphonics on the ie800.  I get fatigued with high frequencies.  I learned this from the cx 985.  And seeing that Senn also carried over the terrible microphonics as well, I couldn't do it.

I'm sure the se846 are the right choice for me.

Feb 9, 2015 at 12:04 AM Post #17 of 32
just my .02 cent

sonic quality isnt everything, if your IEM cost you $1000, it better not have #1 fitment issue and #2 common issue from $1-$300 i.e microphonics

from what I read, the IE800 have both of these issues, stick to Shure se846 or try westone W60

Feb 9, 2015 at 1:13 AM Post #18 of 32

Have you tried the IE800s?

Yes - I liked it - not enough to buy it - too many trade-offs for me. I have been using a Copper Litz Headphone Lounge cable with my 846 - takes some of the edge off the mids - funny thing - the Shure mic cable sounds pretty good as well.

Mar 13, 2015 at 4:10 AM Post #19 of 32
Soundstage is overrated for IEMs, they hardly make a difference. Its the detail retrieval and other features like isolation, microphonics and comfort that matters.

SE846 is better for your tastes, hands down, it provides forward midrange (great for jpop, rap) and deep and hard hitting bass (great for pop and rock in general, and hip hop duh) partly due to the forward midrange. Basically its a lot more modern music friendly.

Transitioning to IE800, vocals will sound recessed and the bass overpowers the entire song. The treble is better but it won't help with your music preference - most modern music has excessive treble boost, resulting in sibilance.

Unless you listen to mostly soundtracks or oldies, SE846 is a no brainer. The only thing i disliked is the relatively stiff and excessively long cable, which i have long since replaced with an inexpensive Effect Audio cable. 

FYI i used to own IE800, sold it within a week, and currently own SE846.

Mar 16, 2015 at 8:21 PM Post #20 of 32
Own both, here's are my thoughts:

IE800
- Amazing soundstage
- Clarity, sparkling high's
- Instrument separation
- Pretty balanced sound overall
- Comfortable, small and lightweight
- Short cable, terrible tip design/selection, shirt clip pretty much required due to the heavy Y connector

SE846 /w silver cable and Westone star tips
- The bass...soooooo good
- Lush mid's, great for vocals
- Sounds more "full"?
- Easier to drive (on my Exynos Note 4 anyways)
- Better isolation

To me, they sound so different its worth it to own both!

Mar 26, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #21 of 32
I'll repost my comparison of these two from a while back for people who are in a similar dilemma. 

----

I'll do a quick comparison of the IE800 and the SE846s. I feel that many of the people who respond to the question to "which is the more superior IEM" is failing to regard the opposing side's strengths and weaknesses. I have both IEMs, and use them both daily for different uses.

IE800:
The clearest of the two IEMs. Bass is quite detailed and present, but doesn't excel in the sub-bass regions as the SE846s. The mids aren't as forward as the SE846s, but produce vocals that are mind-bogglingly realistic. Treble is liquid gold. Highs are quite accentuated, but at times, to a harsh degree. Sibilance can sometimes be heard, though after getting used to it, they aren't as bad as it once was. The only complaint I have here is the microphonics, though if you're buying these for use in the gym or in a crowded subway station, you'd be better off getting the SE846s. These have two bass ports that let ambient noise in. The IE800s are just like its big brother in terms of soundstage and audio reproduction. It is the most natural sounding of the two. As stated, Sennheiser made the mids not as forward as the SE846s, which I felt was a great move. Never do I feel the bass overwhelming the rest of the piece, either.
All in all, a great sounding IEM. Probably the best bang for your buck out there. Though it doesn't sound nearly as good as its big brother, the HD800, I feel that these are probably the closest you can get to them in the form of a UIEM. If you want audio neutrality, definitely go for these. It's a bright IEM though, so I doubt bassheads will be satisfied here.

SE846s:
As stated, isolation is superior to the IE800s. Sub-bass reproduction is the closest I've heard an IEM come to full subwoofer performance, though at times, it can bleed into the midrange and overpower other parts of the music. Mids are surprisingly forward, which may appeal to some, but for me, it killed certain tracks. It all depends on the genre you intend to listen to IMO. Treble and highs are nice. They lack the "zing" the IE800s provide, due to treble roll off, but they also do not exhibit the same sibilance. Actually, I didn't at all hear any sibilance while listening to these. Detachable cable and stock cables that don't have microphonics might be the deal maker for some, but I find that the superiority of the IE800s in terms of audio reproduction to tip the scale in its favor. (All of this was taken from using the white filters.) I doubt trebleheads will like these. As said, treble is rolled off, and at the cost, lots of detail in the higher regions. Bass is supreme though. It is very present in each and every track, and is sure to please bassheads. It also comes with 3 filters in case you want a different amount of bass mixed in your music. Personally, I find the white filters to be the most balanced of the three.

In conclusion,
There's a reason why these two are considered TOTL IEMs. They're both well worth the price that each company charges for them. If you are stuck in a situation that was once similar to mine, my best advice would be to just buy both, and return the one you don't like as much (which is pretty damn hard lol). As for me, I prefer the IE800s, but I can easily see why people prefer the SE846s.

Just my two cents.

Mar 18, 2016 at 7:17 AM Post #25 of 32
Having owned both of these for some time I agree with much that has been said and would not sell either one.  In addition, my summary :

IE800: More accurate sound. More linear FR.  These would be SOO much more  pleasant if the cable length to the Y were longer.  Cable management is a bitch.

SE846:  More enjoyable sound. Lush mids, good foundation bass.  I listen to these the most.

Jul 10, 2016 at 7:16 PM Post #30 of 32
I used both. My personal choise is IE800.

IE800
+
Better soundstage,
Deep and creamy Sub bass,
crystal clarity
Resolutions
Detailed treble
Dynamic and musical sound
-
Isolation
Horrible tips and fit
Harsh treble