Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Oct 19, 2018 at 5:52 PM Post #4,036 of 4,141
Well so far i have learnt one thing- listen before you buy.
All those reviews online are great but you cant really tell what something sounds like unless you actually hear it.
The R2R seems to be taking away the separation of the channels to a small extent and also making the music dull.
So im definitely willing to try the gear out before i buy.

There's another alternative from getting another amp. If you want a more spatial sound, less of that mid-centric emphasis, and wouldn't mind a bit of bass emphasis and a little more treble, order the AKG K7XX from Massdrop. I just switched from listening to the HD6XX to the K7XX and the music definitely comes more alive :)

Oct 20, 2018 at 12:04 AM Post #4,039 of 4,141
If you prefer darker signature and lush mids, there is nothing that can better HD650 under $1000 IMO. LCD2 may best HD650 with the same sound signature but they weigh too much which can be a nightmare for some.
I don't know if I can say that LCD2 is similar to HD650, or at least the HD6XX (given that they are suppose to be identical?). LCD2 should have shimmer highs, and HD6XX should have the mids the LCD2 would lack. The upper-mids to treble is opposite of each other, no? HD6XX doesn't sound dark to me, perhaps dulled shimmer region.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #4,040 of 4,141
I picked up a pair of HD 6XX used for $79. So far I like the sound of them.

Nov 28, 2018 at 3:56 PM Post #4,042 of 4,141
Maybe this is just in my head, but is this likely?
I feel my left channel is underperforming as compared to the right channel.
I dont hear any distortion or buzzing as such.
Is it likely or is it only in my head?
Check this page out: https://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php

Try the driver matching test. I was concerned my original pair of Aeon Flow Closed were out of balance. It was subtle with music, but I could hear inconsistency in that test. Turned out to be the pads there were a bit out of whack, but the test helped me pinpoint the issue nonetheless.

Nov 29, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #4,045 of 4,141
i tried it, well the sound does stay dead center for 90% of the test, but towards the end it sweeps from right to left and vice versa
but this happens with all my 3 headphones HD518, HD6XX, AD700X and not just the 6XX

Could be your ears then. People tend to lose hearing in the high frequencies first and it’s not necessarily the same in both ears. If it makes you feel better I have the same issue and it’s more noticeable in some headphones than others (not related to driver mathching). It could also be all the drivers just happen to be mismatched the same way.

Dec 1, 2018 at 3:21 AM Post #4,046 of 4,141
Maybe this is just in my head, but is this likely?
I feel my left channel is underperforming as compared to the right channel.
I dont hear any distortion or buzzing as such.
Is it likely or is it only in my head?
It happens to my pair as well. I feel sometimes that my drivers in my 6xx are not perfectly matched. I have also the 58x where in the begining the opposite (L > R) happened but now after some usage they seem ok.

Dec 6, 2018 at 7:26 AM Post #4,048 of 4,141
this HD 6xx made me cry .... that detail vocal and after all these years i didn;t believe that R.kelly can actually sing LOL
when i put this headphone and start to listen to " i'm your angel - Celine dion & R.kelly , now i believe that R.kelly can sing

PC --> Ifi micro black --> Valhalla with siemens tube E88CC --> HD 6xx

Jan 5, 2019 at 3:21 PM Post #4,049 of 4,141
Ive always heard the HD 6XX is suppose to have more bass than the HD 598, but I'm not finding this to be the case with my HD 6XXs I just got. HD 598 has noticeably more bass and more impact behind it as well. What gives? Running Soundblaster Z as my Dac and my Magni 1 for the amp. Overall, the 598 sounds better to my ears.

Jan 5, 2019 at 3:59 PM Post #4,050 of 4,141
Ive always heard the HD 6XX is suppose to have more bass than the HD 598, but I'm not finding this to be the case with my HD 6XXs I just got. HD 598 has noticeably more bass and more impact behind it as well. What gives? Running Soundblaster Z as my Dac and my Magni 1 for the amp. Overall, the 598 sounds better to my ears.

I have always found the lack of bass in these high impedance headphones to be due to power issues. Bass frequencies push a lot of air and accordingly need power. Magni (gen 1, not gen 3) could have enough power for the low impedance HD598, but not for the 300 ohms HD6XX. It’s difficult to know the power output of a 1st gen magni, since the specs are no longer available on the Schiit website, but given the fact that the magni amp gains more power through every revision, their gen 1 is likely to be significantly less powerful than the magni 3, but I am not sure. HD6XX has great bass through a powerful enough amp like the Jotunheim, or a high power tube amp like the La Figaro 339, although the bass quickly cuts off at the sub bass level. Don’t expect it to kick like a subwoofer. For that, you would need a LCD-3.

I have heard both the 598 and 6XX. I am not sure if the 6XX has more bass than 598, but it sure has a warmer mid range that makes voices sound fuller. It is also smoother with less harsh treble than 598, but my impressions are a few years old, from memory. Of course, the 6XX scales a lot with upscale gear compared to 598.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back