Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Mar 5, 2017 at 5:43 AM Post #3,213 of 4,141

That's $375.

It is now. 10 hours ago there was an Amazon flash sale for $300.00.

It was a good deal.  They sold out before the time ended...

Mar 6, 2017 at 2:36 PM Post #3,217 of 4,141
i ordered the crack too and i plan to get either the 600s or the 650s by the time i get it built. which one pairs better with the crack? it was probably discussed before, but opinions change, new people join the thread, that's why i'm asking. thanks!

Mar 6, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #3,218 of 4,141
They should both pair equally well given their power requirements are mostly the same.  So it's more of a question about the headphones than the amp.  Much has been written about the differences and similarities between these two headphones.  If you want a personal recommendation, you'd probably need to provide a bit more about the types of music you like and if you have any preferences regarding sound signature.  

Mar 6, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #3,219 of 4,141
i ordered the crack too and i plan to get either the 600s or the 650s by the time i get it built. which one pairs better with the crack? it was probably discussed before, but opinions change, new people join the thread, that's why i'm asking. thanks!

In a nutshell, HD600 has an upper mid-range bump, HD650 has an upper bass bump. Pick your preference.

Mar 6, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #3,223 of 4,141
I just read that comment. Comical as pretty much any listening device has an amplifier built in.
Well yes and no. There are some that listen to their headphones from the line out of a dac and swear by it. I haven't tried it myself but ... I guess there is some sort of a amp circuit to get a line level output don't know that much about it to say for sure. I am one that wants all the power I can get for all my cans and speakers for that matter. It is not to just make it loud .

Mar 6, 2017 at 7:37 PM Post #3,224 of 4,141
I'm no electronics expert but when a headphone has an impedance of 300ohm likeI'm PRETTY sure you need the proper amount of power to get the driver moving. Not just moving a lot (volume) but with good control (less distortion).
I had it described to me this way:
A low impedance headphone (i.e. 32 ohm) has a more loose driver & is easily moved with less power but
can be a more "flabby".
A high impedance driver (i.e. 300+ ohm) is more stiff & requires more oomph to get it going. Since the driver is more stiff it returns to "0" quicker, giving better accuracy.

Mar 7, 2017 at 4:59 AM Post #3,225 of 4,141
I'm no electronics expert but when a headphone has an impedance of 300ohm likeI'm PRETTY sure you need the proper amount of power to get the driver moving. Not just moving a lot (volume) but with good control (less distortion).
I had it described to me this way:
A low impedance headphone (i.e. 32 ohm) has a more loose driver & is easily moved with less power but
can be a more "flabby".
A high impedance driver (i.e. 300+ ohm) is more stiff & requires more oomph to get it going. Since the driver is more stiff it returns to "0" quicker, giving better accuracy.

The impedance is caused by winding wire around the voice coil. It's not the stiffness of the drive unit. The higher the impedance the more winds on the voice coil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back