Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Mar 3, 2017 at 7:40 PM Post #3,198 of 4,141
The one for $430? Why would I buy that when I can get the kit for $299 from Bottlehead? Even the regular price of $414 is lower than that, so the $430 price makes no sense whatsoever, unless I'm missing something.

Because it's already built and the one for $299 is not. You asked about getting it pre-built.

If you look at the Bottlehead forum there is an ex-employee who will build a basic for $250 or one with the speedball for $340 after you purchase the kit. The one in the for sale would save you quite a bit.

Mar 3, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #3,199 of 4,141
It's possible the seller doesn't know about the sale, but then again you would be getting a pre built unit (which is what you were after) where you don't have to worry about screwing anything up during assembly. 

Mar 3, 2017 at 8:06 PM Post #3,202 of 4,141
Yes, what I meant was that I would've expected a secondhand unit to be sold at a substantial discount relative to the price of a new unit, not at about the same price.
You should do some research then. Used cracks with speedball go for about that price. That isn't new news.if that price is to high, your in the wrong hobby

Mar 3, 2017 at 8:33 PM Post #3,205 of 4,141
Everyone sings praises about the Crack/Speedball with the HD 6x0 series... but I told myself I wouldn't buy any new source components after getting my Schiit.

Gahhhhh.  I have a good amount of soldering skills as well from my old R/C days.

Although if I did build it, I have no idea where I'd put such a big box, haha.

Mar 3, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #3,206 of 4,141
I have a crack with sb going for sale soon. 
biggrin.gif

Mar 3, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #3,207 of 4,141
Ok, thanks. I'll probably end up looking for another amp then, maybe one of the Schiit amps.

From what I've seen the Valhalla 2 is good if you want neutral and the Little Dot MKII or MKIII are good if you want warm. Schiit has the advantage of warranty service if you are in the US, but the Little Dots (especially the II) will save you money.

Before the crack went on sale I was going to get a Valhalla. If you are patient you can probably get a near mint used one for about $300 shipped.

I also don't mind building so the Crack is a really good deal right now.

Mar 3, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #3,208 of 4,141
  Everyone sings praises about the Crack/Speedball with the HD 6x0 series... but I told myself I wouldn't buy any new source components after getting my Schiit.

Gahhhhh.  I have a good amount of soldering skills as well from my old R/C days.

Although if I did build it, I have no idea where I'd put such a big box, haha.

That's where I gathered my soldering skills too. Just started racing again about 6 months ago :) Seriously though! That thing is friggen huge.

Mar 3, 2017 at 8:48 PM Post #3,209 of 4,141
Might be a better option if you don't want to build it. I, for one, thoroughly enjoy soldering and tinkering with stuff, so I think the Crack is for me. Probably going to order tonight.

You nailed it on the head! IF...you enjoy building, creating & getting the most from your HD6?? then the Crack is probably THE amp to get (ymmv). The Shiit stuff I have "heard" is really good & you can just plug & play...but...I have read reviews that said the Crack outperforms the Shiit. I cannot say from experience that it does however. I can vouch for the stock Crack sounding BEAUTIFUL tho. I have the SB sitting here for me when I decide to install it but I'm enjoying the Crack so much I haven't had the urge, yet. Waiting for the upgrade bug to bite then I'll do it lol.

Ok back to topic sorry I easily get sidetracked when drooling over my Crack (wait, what?)

An used assembled Crack is going to cost more than a brand new unassembled kit because the work has already been done for you. The performance of the Crack is so much higher compared to the cost BECAUSE you have to build it. To me that was the best part tho. I really enjoy projects & it was a blast. But for many in this hobby it is NOT a plus to have to build it. In those cases you can buy Shiit!! (Pun possibly intended)

Get what fits your needs/wants best!! Good luck brotha!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back