Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Jan 11, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #2,836 of 4,141
Just as I very much like the sound of these HD6XX.
smily_headphones1.gif

Now.... if I could only decide which one to keep, the HD6xx or.... the AKG K7xx as a secondary phone…oddly I've been here before but with the HD600s and AKG K712s......
confused.gif

Jan 11, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #2,837 of 4,141
That's a tough one. Do they sound a lot alike?

Jan 11, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #2,838 of 4,141
  Now.... if I could only decide which one to keep, the HD6xx or.... the AKG K7xx as a secondary phone…oddly I've been here before but with the HD600s and AKG K712s......
confused.gif

For the money paid, why not keep both? They are pretty drastically different, so it isn't like they are stepping on each others toes. 

Jan 11, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #2,839 of 4,141
That's a tough one. Do they sound a lot alike?

Properly powered they’re both quite competent, the AKGs have a wider soundscape and somewhat better layering/depth with a bit more apparent lower end, the HD6xxs feel slightly more intimate, maybe a little sharper, tighter base? but flatter… tonally they’re fairly close and easy listening.
Both compared “directly” to the HD800Ss sound veiled but then a lot of phones would….tough decision….best to hold on to both for awhile.  lol
biggrin.gif

Jan 11, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #2,840 of 4,141
  For the money paid, why not keep both? They are pretty drastically different, so it isn't like they are stepping on each others toes. 

You read my mind while typing....after cleaning out my roster a few years ago I promised myself to keep the amount of phones laying around to a minimum....but 3's not a bad number.

Jan 11, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #2,841 of 4,141

You read my mind while typing....after cleaning out my roster a few years ago I promised myself to keep the amount of phones laying around to a minimum....but 3's not a bad number.

I am a pretty big gamer, and the AKGs are unreal for that purpose alone. I could never sell them. The HD6XX are more for music as they aren't near as good as the AKGs. I currently have 5 headphones, and they all serve a purpose. The ATH-M50X are great for travel and being fairly portable are easy to toss in a bag. The AKGs are for serious FPS gaming, Senns for music when I want a an open back and its benefits, and the TH-X00 Ebony for a closer presentation of music, and their bass is soooo good. The DT990 are also wonderful for gaming and bring a different presentation to the table. More bass, while still giving the details needed for sound whoring. 

I could thin the heard, but I would still keep the TH-X00, HD6XX, AKG Annies without a doubt. The DT990 and ATH-M50X aren't really as necessary as the others, but for what I would get back in resale I just can't justify the loss. I would rather give them away to someone I know who would give them a good home. For now I am content, but I am looking to add a planar headphone at some point. Going to a local meet in a few weeks and will be curious to try out the very good headphones that will be there. 

Jan 11, 2017 at 2:44 PM Post #2,842 of 4,141
How is the Dark Voice amp someone linked to? I could spend $200 on an amp if it improves over my O2 I was using.

Maybe I'll see if I can try the LCD-2 but I'm not going to buy it based on it maybe not being a huge step up. 

I would gladly sell the SR3030 system and the HD6XX and buy one headphone that combines the strengths of both, but maybe it doesn't exist. If the treble is more recessed on the LCD-2 that is way too recessed for my taste. The SR3030 is treble heavy. The SR-007 seems like it might be the closest thing but too expensive.

To me the sound of the electrostatics truly is "airier" though. What's weird is it measures as heavy enough bass, and the bass is very clear:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/StaxSR404S2742.pdf

But there's no punch to it. It feels too transparent.

I did like the SR-Lambda a bit more I believe:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/StaxLambdaSBsnA19858.pdf

Jan 11, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #2,843 of 4,141
  How is the Dark Voice amp someone linked to? I could spend $200 on an amp if it improves over my O2 I was using.

Maybe I'll see if I can try the LCD-2 but I'm not going to buy it based on it maybe not being a huge step up. 

I would gladly sell the SR3030 system and the HD6XX and buy one headphone that combines the strengths of both, but maybe it doesn't exist. If the treble is more recessed on the LCD-2 that is way too recessed for my taste. The SR3030 is treble heavy. The SR-007 seems like it might be the closest thing but too expensive.

To me the sound of the electrostatics truly is "airier" though. What's weird is it measures as heavy enough bass, and the bass is very clear:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/StaxSR404S2742.pdf

But there's no punch to it. It feels too transparent.

I did like the SR-Lambda a bit more I believe:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/StaxLambdaSBsnA19858.pdf

Search google for thecablecompany. They have a headphone rental program. You pay 5% of the headphone's price, plus shipping both directions to try it out. If you decide to buy it from them, the rental cost goes towards your purchase. It would be a great deal, for instance, if you decided to try a handful of high end headphones to see which you wanted to buy as you'd have lots of money towards the actual purchase then.

Jan 11, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #2,844 of 4,141

I would gladly sell the SR3030 system and the HD6XX and buy one headphone that combines the strengths of both, but maybe it doesn't exist. The SR-007 seems like it might be the closest thing but too expensive.

To me the sound of the electrostatics truly is "airier" though.

The Dark Voice is a relatively well received OTL headphone amp that is great with higher impedance cans. I would think from 250 ohm and up, you would have good synergy with it. Some OTLs can pair with lower impedance cans, but typically they work best with the higher ones. The HD650/HD6XX are said to perform very well with it, and it is one of the amps that changes the HD6XX for the better. The supposed veil is lifted, and the magic of tubes plays very well with them. The $200 price is a very good one, the cheapest I have seen them go for (May not be the cheapest overall). You also can get into tube rolling, changing the sound of the amp, which many people love. I am positive that a tube rolling thread exists for the 336SE. Maybe read some of the threads on it and come to a decision. The HD6XX does scale very well with front end improvements. Definitely a good amp to consider. 

Jan 11, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #2,845 of 4,141
I would gladly sell the SR3030 system and the HD6XX and buy one headphone that combines the strengths of both, but maybe it doesn't exist. If the treble is more recessed on the LCD-2 that is way too recessed for my taste.

To my ears, the treble on the LCD-2.2 Fazor is clearer, and more present-sounding than the HD6XX.

Jan 11, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #2,846 of 4,141
Interesting...

The above rental place looks intriguing. I can imagine you'd go crazy trying everything.

The other problem with the Stax is that they sound so detailed you get distracted by the music and I just listen to background music while I work. If I were a serious musician or music fan I would go with them over the HD6XX in a heartbeat but I just listen to music at work. But it's not just better, it's another league of detail.

I've never tried a tube amp and have no idea how it can improve the sound but now I'm curious. The O2 amp definitely is just transparent. I might try the Dark Voice just to see if it really does anything. I sort of suspect the added detail in a tube amp is just higher order distortion adding treble brightness.

I have to admit now that for the money the HD6XX is quite good! Just a completely different signature from the Stax. I should sell them... I think they're still worth something and hip hop sounds too analytical through them.

Jan 11, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #2,847 of 4,141
I think you have some fantastic headphones, and it goes to show you have to really spend some serious coin to get a worthwhile upgrade from here. The LCD-2 builds on the HD650 sound, but adds in the deeper and stronger bass that planars are known for, and maintains the warm laid back sound of Sennheiser. It's going to be hard to find a warm sounding headphone that is also airy, as those generally aren't synonymous sound characteristics. I think the LCD is probably closer to what you're looking for, perhaps a good headphone to save towards down the road.

I appreciate your response; I was just being cheeky. But in all seriousness, I really love the 6XX. This is the best headphone I've ever listened to (objectively and subjectively speaking) let alone owned. In fact, I always thought the 650 would be my "dream can." So when I see somebody posting about an upgrade to the 6XX/650 I start thinking about the flaws of headphone instead of just enjoying what I've got. What I should really do, with no malice intended, is unsubscribe from this thread so I can just enjoy the listening experience. 

Jan 11, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #2,848 of 4,141
Hi all. First time caller. My hd6xx arrived. Tried them with fiio olympus 2 which i think r e10k and i was shocked how bad the sound was. I check and saw the olympus is for up to 150 ohm hp. After several days of breakin and now using my fiio X1 dap they sound amazing. Not sure if the x1 have more power or better dac or if its the breakin that did the trick as the olympus is back at the office so i cannot compare. For my birthday i will want to buy a treat for the new set. I read the hd6xx like the 650 r great using the jut with the dac module. I noticed that both my fiio products can be used as dac only. Will the fiio dacs be less good than the schiit in a way that its worth paying extra for the dac module? I have no problem paying more as long as i get noticbly better results. Maybe even use the extra money from not buying the dac module and go for a better schiit amp? What do u think is best? In addition i have a question that might be stupid... i have a pioneer vsx 421 in the garage? Can it be a hp amp???

Jan 11, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #2,849 of 4,141
I appreciate your response; I was just being cheeky. But in all seriousness, I really love the 6XX. This is the best headphone I've ever listened to (objectively and subjectively speaking) let alone owned. In fact, I always thought the 650 would be my "dream can." So when I see somebody posting about an upgrade to the 6XX/650 I start thinking about the flaws of headphone instead of just enjoying what I've got. What I should really do, with no malice intended, is unsubscribe from this thread so I can just enjoy the listening experience. 

Yeah sometimes that can happen, you get too carried away in any little flaws or upgrades that you forget to actually just sit back and listen. I tend to do same thing, but I agree the HD6XX are fantastic and I also viewed them as a near end game for me. Can't imagine every dropping $1000 on headphones, I'm more of a speaker guy anyway.

Jan 11, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #2,850 of 4,141
I am a pretty big gamer, and the AKGs are unreal for that purpose alone. I could never sell them. The HD6XX are more for music as they aren't near as good as the AKGs. I currently have 5 headphones, and they all serve a purpose. The ATH-M50X are great for travel and being fairly portable are easy to toss in a bag. The AKGs are for serious FPS gaming, Senns for music when I want a an open back and its benefits, and the TH-X00 Ebony for a closer presentation of music, and their bass is soooo good. The DT990 are also wonderful for gaming and bring a different presentation to the table. More bass, while still giving the details needed for sound whoring. 

I could thin the heard, but I would still keep the TH-X00, HD6XX, AKG Annies without a doubt. The DT990 and ATH-M50X aren't really as necessary as the others, but for what I would get back in resale I just can't justify the loss. I would rather give them away to someone I know who would give them a good home. For now I am content, but I am looking to add a planar headphone at some point. Going to a local meet in a few weeks and will be curious to try out the very good headphones that will be there. 

We have similar headphones. I really like my DT990 for watching movies. You have that huge sound stage, bass for explosions and the highs for bullet casings hitting the ground! Lol. Really are awesome. Not my favorite for music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back