Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Dec 30, 2016 at 2:45 PM Post #2,626 of 4,141
I know of a few people who downgraded systems during a cash crunch and use a Vali 2 with the 650. I tried that myself and find it is a nice relaxed euphoric presenation with a Bimby as the source. The 650 shouldn't sound veiled with Schiit amps; if it does, you may benefit from modding it, or something odd may be going on with your DAC. I've only heard negative commentary about the O2, but YMMV.

You may also be used to high-treble headphones like a Grado or AKG. If that's the case, your ears and brain need time to adjust to the very smooth top end presentation the 650 offers. I personally love it, but it may be jarring if you're used to those bright headphones that artificially bring instruments forward by dropping the lower third of the frequency response. Most headphones in "mid-fi" territory have skewed frequency responses of some sort, and if that's all you've heard, your brain interprets that as correct.

Thanks. Maybe I will try a tube amp of some sort. The O2 sounds exactly the same as straight out of my DAC and the amp so far as I can tell, or better through the DAC.

The mid tone presence is great but everything feels slow. I think it covers well for poor recordings, though. Right now the headphones I have that have my favorite frequency response are the DT1350. Before that I liked the normal bias lambdas.

Dec 30, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #2,627 of 4,141
I just received my MicroZOTL2 with upgraded LPS and tubes, from another Head-Fier, and the HD6XX sound unreal good. Crystal clear and music sounds like I'm there. I just got everything setup and I'm very impressed. Need to continue listening.

Dec 30, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #2,629 of 4,141
I just received my MicroZOTL2 with upgraded LPS and tubes, from another Head-Fier, and the HD6XX sound unreal good. Crystal clear and music sounds like I'm there. I just got everything setup and I'm very impressed. Need to continue listening.
One of my favorite amps it was a toss up between that and the Amps an Sound Kenzie went for the Kenzie but might get one also.

Dec 30, 2016 at 8:03 PM Post #2,630 of 4,141
One of my favorite amps it was a toss up between that and the Amps an Sound Kenzie went for the Kenzie but might get one also.

So far I'm in love. Gave me chills listening to it, and that doesn't happen much to me. You definitely would be happy with it.

Dec 30, 2016 at 10:28 PM Post #2,631 of 4,141
  I thought they were brighter than I was expecting, certainly not hearing this 'huge veil'. Flat, relaxed... but what I wanted. Brighter than the PM-3 at any rate.

I think the initial HD650s (pre-silver driver versions) where where they got the "veiled" comments. The silver driver release (several years ago) did remove much of it and these have those drivers.

In other news, the short cable is just way too short for my needs, so I picked up a stock HD650 cable instead. Best bang for your buck I can think of around here!

Dec 30, 2016 at 10:43 PM Post #2,632 of 4,141
I didn't see the cable update posted here, so here's a c/p from the massdrop comments section.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx/talk/619356

AlexPeterkin: Hey everyone. Got an update with good news on the cable issue. Axel wanted to give an explanation personally so I’ve put his letter to the community below.

“To the Massdrop Comunity:

The cable of the HD 6XX is just 55 inches long, not 6 ft. as announced and described. This is my fault. In the HD 6XX project we were a bit in a hurry. We wanted to be ready before Christmas. As the cable is the part with the longest lead time, I’ve decided to use the existing cable of the HD 650 Groove. I thought it is 6 ft. long, but I have not measured the length.

We will exchange the cable if you need a longer one. As a fast solution I can offer HD 650 cables (length is 9.84 ft.) because we have some of them on stock. The 6 ft. version will take longer as we have to produce them first. I have no confirmation from our cable supplier yet, but I guess it will February or March until we have it.

I am very sorry and I apologize for this.

Axel Grell “

Axel and Sennheiser are still working out the details on how to facilitate the replacement, but we wanted to keep you guys updated as we find out more and will post the complete plan as soon as they have everything finalized. I’ll see you guys in the new year next week once we hear back again.

Kinda wish they just sent out a new cable instead of an exchange, but I guess this is fair.  I will probably shoot for the 6ft cable eventually.

Dec 30, 2016 at 10:54 PM Post #2,633 of 4,141
SomeTechNoob said:
Kinda wish they just sent out a new cable instead of an exchange, but I guess this is fair.  I will probably shoot for the 6ft cable eventually.

Thanks for posting this. I initially didn't mind the shorter cable, but I think 6 feet would be really nice now that I've had some time with it.

Dec 30, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #2,634 of 4,141
is there a way to request the 10 ft cable? didnt see anything about that part

Dec 30, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #2,635 of 4,141
Need a longer cable myself.

Dec 30, 2016 at 11:04 PM Post #2,637 of 4,141
I like the shorter cable, as I will bring this out with me and my LG V20. I'll probably order another cable, or just make my own.

Dec 30, 2016 at 11:15 PM Post #2,638 of 4,141
Still haven't decided to spend the money on wire for a balanced cable yet . Going to make a balanced cable for them for my Liquid Carbon but don't know which wire yet.

Dec 30, 2016 at 11:45 PM Post #2,639 of 4,141
Still haven't decided to spend the money on wire for a balanced cable yet . Going to make a balanced cable for them for my Liquid Carbon but don't know which wire yet.

Where's a good place to order the parts from? Any ideas?

Dec 30, 2016 at 11:54 PM Post #2,640 of 4,141
The only place is from China for the most part.Been waiting for over two weeks so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back