Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Dec 20, 2016 at 9:15 PM Post #2,221 of 4,141
Well I'm absolutely done with Massdrop. Not only have they not responded to any of my support tickets, but they have not even helped with my defective HEM2's. I've been waiting on them tog et back to me for ages. Alex from Massdrop told me they have my tickets and would get back to me, but nothing at all. So, so angry right now. 

I will not be buying from them again unless they rectify the error.

Dec 20, 2016 at 9:18 PM Post #2,222 of 4,141
People can do whatever they want with their HD6XX. Flip it or what. It is up to the buyer's intellect.

While there is certainly nothing illegal about it there is often a vast ocean between what is legal and what is ethical.

A fool and his money are soon parted.

But it takes an unethical person to do the separating.

Dec 20, 2016 at 9:21 PM Post #2,223 of 4,141
While there is certainly nothing illegal about it there is often a vast ocean between what is legal and what is ethical.

as long as it is not more than hd650 price, it is ok

Dec 20, 2016 at 9:23 PM Post #2,224 of 4,141

Have there been many quality issues? I have heard of one rattling driver, one dead driver and one bad earpad. Doesn't seem to be a huge QC issue given the number of them they shipped and produced at one time.

But then again I don't read the Massdrop forums as they are a joke to navigate.

Yeah, that's about what I've heard of too.

As far as I am concerned, having only three errors go out the door in a run of 5000, is pretty damned good.

Dec 20, 2016 at 9:24 PM Post #2,225 of 4,141

Yeah, if you ask me this is just another form of what investment types would call arbitrage, and to me arbitrage is always in an ethically troubling area.

Dec 20, 2016 at 9:25 PM Post #2,226 of 4,141

Trump is president, plenty of people in power now who have no issue taking the fools money.  :wink:  Might as well join the crowd, they have the power (and hot wives)

Dec 20, 2016 at 9:40 PM Post #2,227 of 4,141
Sadly, this version doesn't have an adjustable volume output, the volume has to be adjusted at the source.  I pledged on Indiegogo and it was the first DAC/amp I bought........... had I known then what I know now (keeping in mind that it was a good long time between my pledge and when I received the GO), the lack of volume control would have been a deal breaker and I would not have bought it.

I live in NJ, so have bought tickets for both days and reserved a hotel room at the hosting venue.  Just got approval for the Monday off to unwind after the excitement.  :basshead:   Thanks for the tips!  I am sure it will be overwhelming as a first timer, but I am really looking forward to it...... this is the first time I have been motivated enough by something to leave my 3 dogs overnight, so the husband is onboard. :beerchug:
Your going to have a blast for sure. Do you have a Dap ? If you are looking to try out stuff it is good to have what music you listen to most to try out stuff with. I'm sure a lot will be running Tidal or the like but it is good to have what you listen to to know how it sounds with the equipment your looking for. If you don't have one maybe get a micro sd card and load your music to it they will not mind from what I've found to let you listen to your music also you can take your cans too. Have fun.

Dec 20, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #2,228 of 4,141
Your going to have a blast for sure. Do you have a Dap ? If you are looking to try out stuff it is good to have what music you listen to most to try out stuff with. I'm sure a lot will be running Tidal or the like but it is good to have what you listen to to know how it sounds with the equipment your looking for. If you don't have one maybe get a micro sd card and load your music to it they will not mind from what I've found to let you listen to your music also you can take your cans too. Have fun.

I have an iBasso DX90 and a Rockboxed Xduoo X3 that I use as a beater at work.  Good idea - will probably bring the iBasso.  If I am looking for a DAC/amp, should I bring a coax cable too?  I've been doing relocations at work, and have a big bag that my 20-something colleague refers to as my Mary Poppins bag because I have everything needed for relos in it (cable ties, disinfecting spray, decontamination tags, packing tape.......)  I want to try to bring only what I need to make wise purchasing decisions. 
blink.gif

Dec 20, 2016 at 10:23 PM Post #2,229 of 4,141
  I am absolutely loving the HD6xx so far... man this baby can slam!

I see you're a newer member, but back in the day the HD650, K701 and RS1 where the top 3 headphones anyone around here could own. And all for under $500 each. My wallet refers to them as "the good old days". 
tongue.gif
 I hope the new owners just don't think these are "cheap" $200 headphones. These babies will scale very well. Back in 2008 an HD650 and B22 amplifier was endgame territory. Heck, I ordered a pair of the HD6XX and I'm planning on using them on my Hugo TT + GS-X Mk2 (and not just my Mojo). 

Dec 20, 2016 at 10:36 PM Post #2,230 of 4,141

I see you're a newer member, but back in the day the HD650, K701 and RS1 where the top 3 headphones anyone around here could own. And all for under $500 each. My wallet refers to them as "the good old days". 
tongue.gif
 I hope the new owners just don't think these are "cheap" $200 headphones. These babies will scale very well. Back in 2008 an HD650 and B22 amplifier was endgame territory. Heck, I ordered a pair of the HD6XX and I'm planning on using them on my Hugo TT + GS-X Mk2 (and not just my Mojo). 

I am still at HD650 + Rockhopper B22 (y'all remember Rockhopper?).....I dig the "good old days"

Actually end game was either HD650 + B22/GSX or HD650 + EC Zana Deux. HD800 was a downgrade for me personally.

My source is Linn KlimaxDS ..haha

I don't think my HD650 really singed until I upgrade my source to Klimax. Btw, Chord Hugo whatever is a step down from Klimax and it's easy to tell the down grade using HD650.

Dec 20, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #2,231 of 4,141
  I am still at HD650 + Rockhopper B22 (y'all remember Rockhopper?).....I dig the "good old days"

Actually end game was either HD650 + B22/GSX or HD650 + EC Zana Deux. HD800 was a downgrade for me personally.

My source is Linn KlimaxDS ..haha

I don't think my HD650 really singed until I upgrade my source to Klimax. Btw, Chord Hugo whatever is a step down from Klimax and it's easy to tell the down grade using HD650.

I certainly do remember Rockhopper's B22...brilliantly built amplifier! Cool that you still own it! I'm planning on using my Hugo TT for the source/amp and I'll roll in my GS-X Mk2 (I did upgrade a few years back from my GS-X). 

Dec 20, 2016 at 11:12 PM Post #2,232 of 4,141
Finally spent some time with the 6xx, and I'm really impressed. There isn't anything that the 598 does better than the 6xx, except perhaps a slightly larger soundstage. I can see why people have been in love with the 650s for so long, now the question is what closed back pair do I get for my collection?

Dec 20, 2016 at 11:25 PM Post #2,233 of 4,141
Long-time listener, first time caller.

I am a newbie/wannabe audiophile. I got my first pair of real cans, the HD558s about 2 years ago, followed by a pair of ATH-M50s and a pair of on-the-ear Momentums. My amp is a Fiio Kilimanjaro - that is a hand me down. I love all 3 pairs of headphones I own, each for its own purpose, but my favorites have been the 558s. Absolutely love(d) them. I had been considering an upgrade to the HD598s for a while but the chance to own a pair of HD6xx's under $200 sealed my next investment in this way too expensive hobby.

My pair with serial no. 03165 arrived today which was exactly the number I was praying for (and trust me, the # doesn't change the sound.). So if there are any other newbies out there reading this thread, wondering if they made a mistake because they don't plan to spend 2x the price of the cans on an amp/Dac etc. here are a few thoughts:

1. I read all of the posts about how my 558s sucked compared to the 598s. I never tried them side by side, but let me tell you, the 558s were 1,000x better than anything I had ever owned. This is a precise number. So maybe they weren't ask good as the 598s? Maybe your Creative isn't as good as a piece if schiit - Don't worry about it. If you love what you got, enjoy it. (If you didn't get in on the drop, stop here unless you have already decided to upgrade, because this might make you second guess what you already got.)
2. The HD-6xx's absolutely destroy my 558s. I mean taken to the woodshed. Yes, I am still using the *gulp* Kilimanjaro amp, but imagine what I have to look forward to. In the meantime, they sound fantastic! Highs. Mids, bass, soundstage - impressed, impressed, impressed and impressed. I started with a few flac files - Miles, Mahavishnu, King Crimson, Rush. It was like the first time I wore the 558s, but now a whole new level of clarity popped out. I listened to American Beauty 24 bit flac by the Grateful Dead and felt like I was in the booth with Jerry, Phil & Bobby. So even if you have a cr*ppy amp, do not worry! Put these on, turn on some ears and I promise you will smile. Ear to ear, baby.
3. I then tried a few variations, first connecting the 6xx directly into my iPhone. Definitely a downgrade in quality, but still in-line, at a minimum, with the 558/M50 level of headphones. Then plugged the amp back in and tried low quality spotify. It was rough. Not bad, not good, just rough. I finally know what it means when people say certain cans can be uncompromising or unforgiving. They are. Next I downloaded a few spotify songs at extreme 320kbps. Some Fleetwood Mac Blues Jam, Steely Dan Aja, Zeppelin II, Return to Forever. I can see how my FLAC collection is about to expand exponentially, but not to worry. At 320kbps (extreme) through the VOX iOS app and Kilimanjaro amp the music was pure bliss. Interestingly I often find myself pushing my 558s closer together. so was excited about the clamp. That said, they are tight. But I'm going to give them a chance to break in. Hopefully they get looser but still tighter than my 558s.
4. I'm not sure when, but my next money drop will be an amp/DAC. Has anyone used these with the Audioquest Black or Red. Since no one has asked yet, I worry it is a stupid question, but no better way to learn. Those vs the Fula 2? What about something like the O2 w/Odac?
5. What portable players do you all use? And if iOS or Android, what apps?
6. Maybe I'm making a false assumption, but for those in the U.S. - this is America, folks. I know it sucks to have missed the drop (bad credit card info left me thinking that was me for several hours) but don't harass people on eBay for pursuing capitalism. That is the whole reason our system works. No one is forcing anyone else to pay an insane premium to what we paid, but as long as there is nothing illegal and no fraud, we all have the right to sell our personal belongings at the highest price we can get. That isn't even unethical. That is capitalism and free markets and I'm thankful we have them.

:headphones::notes::metal::flag_us::flag_us::flag_us::metal::notes::headphones:

Dec 21, 2016 at 12:43 AM Post #2,235 of 4,141
Just got my hd6xx. I'm in love. Got number 369 but the sticker is deffently an afterthought. Using an xduoo x3 and toppings nx3. Not high end but sounds amazing.
a better source and amp will propel the hd6xx. It scales well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back