Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Dec 19, 2016 at 8:11 AM Post #2,073 of 4,141
If anyone is interested in some native 6.3mm cables, http://www.head-fi.org/t/829498/fs-1x-3ft-cable-for-hd6xx-hd650-etc-1x-6ft-cardas-neutrik-gold-cable-for-hd6xx-hd650-etc

my two are up for sale cause I need to save money.

Dec 19, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #2,074 of 4,141
These are a lot less bright sounding than electrostatic headphones... Spotify sounds good again. Pretty forgiving of bad recordings... smooths everything out, not harsh. Seems pretty good for $200. Bad recordings sound better than with my other headphones, which is good since I listen to a lot of pop.

Substantially better than the HD598. Less detail than the DT1350 or IEMs. Those are the only references I have.

That said, electrostatic headphones have way more detail. I think these don't have much detail. Good recordings suffer but nothing sounds bad, seems really good if you're into music and not into headphones. Maybe it's the slower drivers but tinny snares sound better. Bad snares sound less tinny.

Dec 19, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #2,075 of 4,141
These sound very good, on this track and a very fitting song for where a lot of us in the US are ! Some say only Grado's do guitars justice, these are not far behind. They do however give up a little in slam of percussion and thump of bass compared to my Nighthawks, however all, very nice.

Dec 19, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #2,076 of 4,141
  These sound very good, on this track and a very fitting song for where a lot of us in the US are ! Some say only Grado's do guitars justice, these are not far behind. They do however give up a little in slam of percussion and thump of bass compared to my Nighthawks, however all, very nice.

Most Grados are harsh and bright. The don't do well with Fiio DAPs as Fiio DAPs tend to be somewhat neutral. So the high end being not rolled off makes Grado sometimes painful to listen with.

Dec 19, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #2,077 of 4,141
These are a lot less bright sounding than electrostatic headphones... Spotify sounds good again. Pretty forgiving of bad recordings... smooths everything out, not harsh. Seems pretty good for $200. Bad recordings sound better than with my other headphones, which is good since I listen to a lot of pop.

Substantially better than the HD598. Less detail than the DT1350 or IEMs. Those are the only references I have.

That said, electrostatic headphones have way more detail. I think these don't have much detail. Good recordings suffer but nothing sounds bad, seems really good if you're into music and not into headphones. Maybe it's the slower drivers but tinny snares sound better. Bad snares sound less tinny.

I think many of the examples of other headphones you give just give the illusion of more detail due to having exaggerated highs. This is the oldest hifi-trick in the book. An easy way to make people go "wow" and think they are hearing lots of detail is just to boost the highs.

That's definitely the way my V shaped DT770 Pro's sound.

The HD6xx's certainly aren't any less detailed, they just have a more balanced neutral sound, so the highs no longer stick out as much.

I agree, this saves many recordings. On my headphones with exaggerated highs I could no longer listen to Peter Gabriel's Solsbury Hill. It just sounded awful. The track sounds good again with the hd6xx's

Dec 19, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #2,078 of 4,141
I think many of the examples of other headphones you give just give the illusion of more detail due to having exaggerated highs. This is the oldest hifi-trick in the book. An easy way to make people go "wow" and think they are hearing lots of detail is just to boost the highs.

That's definitely the way my V shaped DT770 Pro's sound.

The HD6xx's certainly aren't any less detailed, they just have a more balanced neutral sound, so the highs no longer stick out as much.

I agree, this saves many recordings. On my headphones with exaggerated highs I could no longer listen to Peter Gabriel's Solsbury Hill. It just sounded awful. The track sounds good again with the hd6xx's

While I'm sure that's true, there's definitely more detail with my Stax system. But the treble is boosted a bit, definitely. I don't prefer it for most recordings because bad recordings become screechy.... but for good recordings it's extremely impressive. 

The treble is definitely a lot quieter with the Sennheisers. Snare drums are barely audible in some cases. But there's so much detail everywhere with the Stax and I think the DT1350s are faster, too, but don't sound as good overall.

Dec 19, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #2,079 of 4,141
Just got mine in the mail. S/N 00357. :)

Really enjoying them so far, out of my Lyr 2 (stock 6BZ7 tubes). They sound better than my Philips X2, imo. The bass is much tighter and less distracting, but it's definitely still emphasized and capable of producing a nice rumble when the music calls for it. The lows and mids are fairly reminiscent of my Hifiman HE-560. The highs are a bit laid back, as everyone says, but not enough so to really bother me; you still get a good amount of air and detail with female vocals, and nothing sounds veiled to me. My only complaint is that the clamping force is pretty excessive, but I've heard that that loosens up over time, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Dec 19, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #2,080 of 4,141
  Just got mine in the mail. S/N 00357. :)

Really enjoying them so far, out of my Lyr 2 (stock 6BZ7 tubes). They sound better than my Philips X2, imo. The bass is much tighter and less distracting, but it's definitely still emphasized and capable of producing a nice rumble when the music calls for it. The lows and mids are fairly reminiscent of my Hifiman HE-560. The highs are a bit laid back, as everyone says, but not enough so to really bother me; you still get a good amount of air and detail with female vocals, and nothing sounds veiled to me. My only complaint is that the clamping force is pretty excessive, but I've heard that that loosens up over time, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Nice, you got one of the early ones.

Despite spamming refresh before the drop opened, and trying and trying again to order, I wound up not getting a confirmation email until 10 minutes before the drop closed.

I wound up with SN 691 though, so still pretty low.  Not that I really care.   I bought them to listen to them, not to put them in a glass case and admire them for their low serial number :p

Dec 19, 2016 at 3:28 PM Post #2,081 of 4,141

Despite spamming refresh before the drop opened, and trying and trying again to order, I wound up not getting a confirmation email until 10 minutes before the drop closed.

I wound up with SN 691 though, so still pretty low.  Not that I really care.   I bought them to listen to them, not to put them in a glass case and admire them for their low serial number :p

lower serial numbers probably indicate more quality control is all, "big boss" walking down the production assembly line to make sure its all going smoothly, but yeah its not a big deal.

Dec 19, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #2,082 of 4,141
  lower serial numbers probably indicate more quality control is all, "big boss" walking down the production assembly line to make sure its all going smoothly, but yeah its not a big deal.

Possibly, but the HD6xx's aren't that different from the standard HD650's.   I mean, what's the difference?   The slightly different color of some trim parts, and different labeling.  I don't know if it really involved that much of a line disruption.

More like a "Hey guys, we're going to do the same thing we always do, but this time use these blue parts instead of the standard black, and these labels/screen prints instead pf the regular ones.  Do everything else the same way you do it with our normal batches" at the morning standup production meeting.

Dec 19, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #2,084 of 4,141
This is ridiculous. You have 5000 units, you start with 1 & end up at 5000. No quality control involved.

Well, you always have to have quality control.   Having spent a career in manufacturing, I know full well that Murphy's law applies about x10 in manufacturing.

Dec 19, 2016 at 4:48 PM Post #2,085 of 4,141

I was in the same boat. I must have tried around 50+ times (literally) to submit my payment. I finally got in the drop an hour and a half into it, and I was constantly fighting to get in the whole time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back