Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Nov 25, 2016 at 10:56 AM Post #1,456 of 4,141
There is a 15% off black friday sale going on most Bottlehead kits. Those who interested in an amp for HD6XX's I think it's the right time to buy Bottlehead crack OTL kit.

Nov 25, 2016 at 10:38 PM Post #1,457 of 4,141
  There is a 15% off black friday sale going on most Bottlehead kits. Those who interested in an amp for HD6XX's I think it's the right time to buy Bottlehead crack OTL kit.

Link? 

Would it be a upgrade over my Schiit Vali 2? I run the Philips JAN 6922 tube but I am worried it won't make the HD6xx shine.  

Nov 26, 2016 at 3:26 AM Post #1,459 of 4,141
I know portable is not ideal, but if I may be away at college for 4-8 months, would Schiit Fulla, or Dragonfly Black/Red, or something else $250 and under be a good portable option to power my incoming HD6xx's?  

I am leaning towards Red simply cause of the juice needed, but I hear it distorts at higher volumes, so not sure, and Fulla is quite powerful as well for being so tiny.  What your guys thoughts? Can someone who owns either check for me on your HD650?  I just want a nice portable dac/amp combo, and my Fiio K1 won't cut it.

Nov 26, 2016 at 8:24 AM Post #1,461 of 4,141
  I know portable is not ideal, but if I may be away at college for 4-8 months, would Schiit Fulla, or Dragonfly Black/Red, or something else $250 and under be a good portable option to power my incoming HD6xx's?  

I am leaning towards Red simply cause of the juice needed, but I hear it distorts at higher volumes, so not sure, and Fulla is quite powerful as well for being so tiny.  What your guys thoughts? Can someone who owns either check for me on your HD650?  I just want a nice portable dac/amp combo, and my Fiio K1 won't cut it.

I have been impressed with the Dragonfly Red and find that it powers the 650 nicely given it's size and portability. That being said, the Geek Out v2 will give you better performance. 

Nov 26, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #1,462 of 4,141

I think the Cayin C5 has been recommended many times in both the C5 as well as the 650 forums for such purpose. C5 has a lot more power than the dragonfly with a dedicated battery etc, provided you have a separate DAC, since it's only an amp. The C5 is also available at amazon for Black Friday at $99.

That said, I am interested in the dragonfly for its compactness. I doubt it can drive the 6xx properly despite the claims by Audioquest. However if someone has tested the red amp with 650, I will be interested to hear. Of course such impressions are useless without comparison to other competitive amps.

Nov 26, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #1,463 of 4,141
I just went to a meet and my DACport Slim powered the HD 600 with ease.  That might also be an option once it comes back up on massdrop for $100.

Nov 26, 2016 at 7:44 PM Post #1,464 of 4,141
I was just thinking how much the HD6XX resemble my HD580s from 2004 with the 650 grills and cable, we'll see when they get here..although I know they sound worlds apart as I have a current 650 to compare.

Anyone else prefer the 600 headband cushion?

Nov 27, 2016 at 8:12 AM Post #1,468 of 4,141
So the iDSD micro Black Label will be releasing soon. Claims to be an improvement over the regular Micro. Would this work as a combo with 6XX? 

Conversely, I've also been eyeing either the Shanling M5 or Onkyo DP-X1 as an Audio Player/DAC and Amp for my Computer. I've gotten statements on the M5, but would the DP-X1 work as a combo with the 6XX?

I don't have any major gear to my name besides a V-Moda M-100 headset and a Sennheiser G4ME One. No amps or external dacs.

Nov 27, 2016 at 10:04 AM Post #1,469 of 4,141
I'm eyeing the black label too. Seems like it should have plenty of power. Doubt the DP-X1 will do them justice though.

Nov 27, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #1,470 of 4,141
I'm eyeing the black label too. Seems like it should have plenty of power. Doubt the DP-X1 will do them justice though.

there is no way the dpx1 can drive it
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back