Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Nov 8, 2016 at 8:33 AM Post #481 of 4,141
What makes the hd6xx proprietary plugs different from the standard 2.5mm plugs other headphones use? It'd be nice to use some of my other cables with an adapter to connect to the hd6xx

It's just a different standard - and these different connectors make me MAD!!

So, once I purchased a LCD-2 from a friend that came with 2 amazing balanced cables - a Norne Audio and a Q-Audio cable I thought - I wish I could use these cable on my HE560 (old connector) and Oppo PM-2 or even my HD-650. 

Turns out - well you can - Q-Audio and BTG-Audio (now owned by the same person) are happy to create any kind of adapters for you. Yes there is a price to pay but I think it's worth it.

Sennheiser is particularly bad with the different connectors. The HD-25 is the same form the HD-600/650 but they differ from the Momentum, or the HD598 and they are different from the HD700 which are different from the HD800 - geeez man - even within the same company you have so many different standards....

And when I had a warranty issue with my HE-560 I got a new 560 back with the new connectors - so I can use the Oppo cables on them as well - always nice when some producers go the same route.

Anyhow here are some photos of the adapters (click for larger images) in this case these are all adapters for Audeze cables to different other headphones but they can be made in any way or form:

and here is one from Hifiman old to Hifiman new (also works with  Oppo / Sennheiser HD700).

Nov 8, 2016 at 8:59 AM Post #484 of 4,141
I've been debating ordering this, but I really don't think it's what I'm looking for sonically.

If you can stand to float the $200, now would be a most excellent time to try it and most likely lose only shipping cost on resale.

Nov 8, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #485 of 4,141
Massdrop is already slowing down from everyone refreshing lol

Nov 8, 2016 at 9:02 AM Post #490 of 4,141
"Join drop"...click...crash again. 
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back