Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Nov 4, 2016 at 12:36 PM Post #198 of 4,141
Well, this has me licking my chops, even though I already own the HD650 and HD600. 
beyersmile.png

Nov 4, 2016 at 12:56 PM Post #202 of 4,141
  So when is this going to be on Amazon?

this sucks why only massdrop?

It's a Massdrop exclusive. It was developed by Massdrop in collaboration with Sennheiser. So never. It is... fairly self explanatory.

Wow those sold out quick

What do you mean? They're not available yet. Massdrop allows you to request a drop to gauge interest, the drop itself will become active on the 8th of November so... They will sell out quick I'd imagine, they have however not sold out yet.

I guess updating the OP with a big red bold 8th of November on there may be quite informative, tons of people seem to think these are somehow already being sold/already sold out.

Nov 4, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #203 of 4,141
  Any comparison between this cans and the DT1990 Pro?

I was going to buy the Beyers + Jotunheim

But maybe it's better choice the HD6XX + Jot + Mimby

http://www.head-fi.org/t/814629/beyerdynamic-dt-1990-pro-beyers-open-back-mastering-headphone/435#post_12978981

You decide which one to buy. 200$ for 6xx is like 400-450$ for 1770/1990 imho.
I'll go for 6xx as i already have 1770 akin to 1990.
Jodie is a must at 400$ for both HPs. Internal DAC is mediocre - sounds thin and cold (lack of quantity of mid-upper bass) on dynamic music like rock, edm. Suits for classic and laid-back styles only.
top choice is jodie + 1990 + mimby for sure.

Nov 4, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #205 of 4,141
  So when is this going to be on Amazon?

this sucks why only massdrop?

Nah, Massdrop developed this in collaboration with Sennheiser, no way it'll show up on Amazon in mass production. 

Nov 4, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #207 of 4,141

Last night I tried to sign up at Massdrop where there are 9000+ requests
for the 5000 available.  I'm not sure how Massdrop accepts orders.
On Nov. 8th is it a free for all; first call first order, or do the first 5000
have first choice?

Requesting the drop does not reserve one a spot. Requests have two purposes; to show Massdrop the interest level and to let those interested be notified of the drop's availability.

Even without requesting, you have the same chance as anyone at getting the purchase, so long as you know when it is open.

Nov 4, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #208 of 4,141

Nah, Massdrop developed this in collaboration with Sennheiser, no way it'll show up on Amazon in mass production. 

So Wait a minute here, how exactly is massdrop able to pull this off? why is Sennheiser willing to sell a $400 headphone for $200 once its massdrop? what does Sennheiser gain from this?

And if so why then doesn't Amazon strike the same deal with Sennheiser? what would Amazon have to do in order to get a deal like this done?

Nov 4, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #210 of 4,141

So Wait a minute here, how exactly is massdrop able to pull this off? why is Sennheiser willing to sell a $400 headphone for $200 once its massdrop? what does Sennheiser gain from this?

And if so why then doesn't Amazon strike the same deal with Sennheiser? what would Amazon have to do in order to get a deal like this done?

It's all about the economies of scale. Sennheiser surely isn't going to drum up thousands of sales of HD650's in seconds these days. Massdrop generates the hype and Sennheiser can get rid of excess parts inventory. Just putting the HD650 on sale isn't going to generate dollars for the company as they've already sold the product to resellers. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back