Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Nov 14, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #1,216 of 4,141
No. Just common sense... But you never know.

How is that common sense to not sell them again with that much interest? Maybe if they're allergic to money maybe?

Nov 14, 2016 at 10:46 AM Post #1,217 of 4,141
And common sense may also dictate that the 6XX drivers were not hand selected and matched as Sennheiser purportedly do with the 650s....but I'll never know...:xf_eek:

That is not common sense my friend. This will be first grade as Sennheiser will not put their reputation on the line for such stupid thing. And Massdrop as well. If these are not first grade that will be the end of Massdrop for audio buyers...

But certainly Sennheiser will kill it's dealers with such pricedrop and devalue it's own product like.

To me it seems as clever marketing to generate interested in their very old, but still excellent product. Even if they do another drop that will be limited to at most another 5000 units.

But think about how much interest they generated. I am tempted to say they will do another model to generate more hype.

Nov 14, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #1,218 of 4,141
   wouldn’t one really want an actual HD650 
wink.gif
for a few dollars more than the HD6XX plus next day delivery if you wish?

That's a big reason why there'd probably be more drops.  The HD650 apparently has a better finish and perhaps other things, and it's a "true" Sennheiser product.  There are markets for both products.  Like car companies with multiple brands selling basically the same car with the same engine but with different styles and options and hitting different price points.  Lots of people simply will not buy an HD650 at current or even a bit lower prices.  But they might buy an HD6xx for $199.  And if it's their first good headphone, they might have brand loyalty and their next headphone might be another Sennheiser that costs more.

Plus, MassDrop deals require waiting.  People pay more to have something right now.

Nov 14, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #1,219 of 4,141
  wouldn’t one really want an actual HD650 
wink.gif
for a few dollars more than the HD6XX plus next day delivery if you wish?

Not really, the midnight blue Massdrop offered for the 6XX is beautiful in my opinion and the shorter cable is also a welcome change. Those two things make it worth the wait, especially for less money than you'll pay for an "actual HD650" on Black Friday.

The remainder of your points are well made however and I do agree keeping an eye out for their warehouse deals is good advice, I just think people thinking these aren't "actual 650s" is a little silly (even as a joke, seen many people say it in a serious manner).

Nov 14, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #1,222 of 4,141

And common sense may also dictate that the 6XX drivers were not hand selected and matched as Sennheiser purportedly do with the 650s....but I'll never know...
redface.gif

Massdrop has stated directly that the drivers for the 6XX are matched. They could be lying or misinformed of course but that is what they've stated. 

Nov 14, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #1,224 of 4,141
I do not think Sennheiser would let poorly matched drivers out into the wild at any price point. All measurements that I have seen show impeccale driver matching.

Yeah, but I think they have stated that the 600's are not matched like the 650's are so people were thinking maybe that was a way they've made  these cheaper.  

Nov 14, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #1,230 of 4,141
Am I the only one who would buy a used pair of HD650's over the HD6xx's purely over the aesthetic? I much prefer the titanium color vs the matte midnight blue xD

New = less ear wax of stranger
 (I'm not opposed to used headphones per se, just relatively speaking)

Unless during manufacturing guys ear wax dripped onto them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back