Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by jude, Nov 3, 2016.
  1. Kermeli
    i had the 990, brilliant for the money but if you're looking for punchy.. nope. Atleast thats how it was with ODAC combo, boring sound, for me atleast.

2. buke9
    Huge soundstage and HD-6xx's don't go together at all. Probably the smallest of any that I have still a very good headphone. 990's very bright.

3. JP Lamachine

seems weird for open cans. any other model you'd reccomend considering my criterias? :xf_eek: details and soundstage are everything to me really

4. ahmadfaizadnan
    +1

I had dt990 before and I gave it to my housemate now;

DT990 (250 ohm):
    bass has good quantity but not quality (still punchy). Soundstage is wide with good detail but shrilling highs

HD6XX (300 ohm):
    better bass than DT990 but has mid bass hump that affects the bass and mids separation sometimes. Small soundstage, among the smallest I have so far. rolled off treble and laid back.

editted: the details in HD6XX is better than DT990

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
    trellus likes this.
  5. JP Lamachine
    Alright thanks. Probably crossing those off then. Cheers

6. BWythani
    I thought my hd580s had a pretty decent soundstage. Significantly wider than my grados or fostex planars.

Is he 6xX about the same? Maybe I've never actually heard a headphone with a good soundstage

JP Lamachine likes this.
  7. ahmadfaizadnan
    HD6XX is great especially for $200 but it really depends on your preferences. Sure! hope you find one that suits you.

8. ahmadfaizadnan
    I listened to HD598 couple times before and HD6XX has smaller soundstage. But I am not sure about HD580

9. borrego
    It is true that the HD6XX soundstage is pretty wide, but it is hopelessly lacking depth. I sold the HD6XX for this very reason. I believe it has to do with the oval shape of the body/pad and small diameter driver designs.

When being driven by the same DACs/Amps I have, my T1/T90/T5p/HE500/E-mu Teak/and even 325e (no joke) all have deeper soundstage.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  10. mattlach
    unsubscribe

:p (my email notifications are going nuts!)

11. ahmadfaizadnan
    me too actually :sweat_smile:

12. JWolf
    Sorry, but that is wrong. The HD 6XX (aka HD 650) does need power to drive them and they are not easy to drive. I own the HD 6XX and this is from experience.

13. JWolf
    Just unsubscribe from this thread and resubscribe without email notifications. That's what I do. That way I don't get email bombed from busy thread and I can check in every so often for new posts.

14. PeteMtl
    I respect your opinion. I also have the HD6xx and I drive them often with the DFR, which has enough voltage, 2v, but drives the 6xx at 300 ohms with no more than 10 or 15mw to very high volume levels. Just my own experience.

15. ahmadfaizadnan
    dekoni has the elite hybrid up on massdrop. They are comfy but not sure how will they affects the overall sound. Has anyone by any chance try these and actually listen with them?