Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Jun 29, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #3,406 of 4,141
I auditioned HD 650 and Monoprice M1060 and decided to keep the M1060 due to better sub bass performance

but at $200 + CA tax shipped, I caved and joined this 2nd drop...

Fingers crossed and hope they under-promise and over-deliver on that delivery date =P

Jun 30, 2017 at 1:09 AM Post #3,407 of 4,141
As of now less than 500 units left...

Jun 30, 2017 at 2:53 AM Post #3,408 of 4,141
For this 2nd drop, it stated same great sound plus a few updates, does anyone know what these updates are?

Jun 30, 2017 at 7:44 AM Post #3,410 of 4,141
I know this has been covered in ad nausium before but still I would appreciate your input. I currently have an HD 600 running off a Valhalla 2. I just joint the new drop that started 6/26 for the HD6xx. How do enjoy owning both and is it just redundant. Thanks, Kevin

I do enjoy owning both, a lot. I got the Hd600 first, but, before purchasing the HD6XX, I also read a lot of reviews which compared the HD600 with the HD650, with some preferring one to the other. The sound signatures of the two are indeed not very far apart, but the HD650s are slightly warmer, heftier and more "lush" in the mids and in the lower frequencies (which is not to suggest that the HD600s are necessarily "thin" sounding, or anything like that). Still both are excellent and very capable all-rounders for the types of music I listen to, and it helps that I use the HD600 exclusively in the office (along with my Hifiman He-500, which is another very capable all-rounder). Both of them respond very well to the quality of satellite components (amps/Dacs), and that of the sources that feed them, and when that quality is assured, they can hold their own quite well against cans costing a lot more than they do, and that is why they're both "classics" (some may say "reference" standard cans), in my view.

I also own the HD 700s and HD 800s, as well as the Audeze LCD-X, and Hifiman He-1000, and Edition X V2, and yet neither the HD 600 or HD 650 ever gives me the impression that I am listening to a particularly subpar set of cans when they're in use. Of course there are subtle differences between the HD 600/650s and the more expensive TOTL ones, but the degree of those differences never match the markup in prices, in my view. I am sure you have heard about "diminishing returns," but that is another story...

To return to you question, I certainly do not find the HD6XX to be "redundant" alongside the HD600, because it brings to the table a slight difference in flavor that I do appreciate a lot, depending on the type of music I am listening to, and I enjoy having access to both cans for the variety they provide, and the convenience of being able to use one of them exclusively away from home, at the office.

Jun 30, 2017 at 8:32 AM Post #3,411 of 4,141
If anybody wants a set they better get them now. Less than 100 units left...

Jun 30, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #3,412 of 4,141
Fingers crossed and hope they under-promise and over-deliver on that delivery date =P

In the Discussion section, the Massdrop rep mentions that the manufacturing time frame is the same for the earlier drop; they just offered that drop later in the process. I expect that they were pretty sure they'd sell out in a hurry so that was safe; I'm guessing that despite the 60,000 requests they weren't sure how many of those would turn into actual buyers for the second drop (especially at the higher price point) so they wanted to get a final number earlier in the process.

Jun 30, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #3,414 of 4,141
"New colour, nameplates, massdrop logo, serial number, cable, etc. "
so basically no change from previous drop of 6XX? because from their wording, it sounded to me like there will be a few updates from the previous 6XX.

Jul 1, 2017 at 11:40 PM Post #3,416 of 4,141
I do enjoy owning both, a lot. I got the Hd600 first, but, before purchasing the HD6XX, I also read a lot of reviews which compared the HD600 with the HD650, with some preferring one to the other. The sound signatures of the two are indeed not very far apart, but the HD650s are slightly warmer, heftier and more "lush" in the mids and in the lower frequencies (which is not to suggest that the HD600s are necessarily "thin" sounding, or anything like that). Still both are excellent and very capable all-rounders for the types of music I listen to, and it helps that I use the HD600 exclusively in the office (along with my Hifiman He-500, which is another very capable all-rounder). Both of them respond very well to the quality of satellite components (amps/Dacs), and that of the sources that feed them, and when that quality is assured, they can hold their own quite well against cans costing a lot more than they do, and that is why they're both "classics" (some may say "reference" standard cans), in my view.

I also own the HD 700s and HD 800s, as well as the Audeze LCD-X, and Hifiman He-1000, and Edition X V2, and yet neither the HD 600 or HD 650 ever gives me the impression that I am listening to a particularly subpar set of cans when they're in use. Of course there are subtle differences between the HD 600/650s and the more expensive TOTL ones, but the degree of those differences never match the markup in prices, in my view. I am sure you have heard about "diminishing returns," but that is another story...

To return to you question, I certainly do not find the HD6XX to be "redundant" alongside the HD600, because it brings to the table a slight difference in flavor that I do appreciate a lot, depending on the type of music I am listening to, and I enjoy having access to both cans for the variety they provide, and the convenience of being able to use one of them exclusively away from home, at the office.
Thanks so much for the detailed response, it definitely helps to put my mind at ease. It is great to hear that comparing them with some of the TOTL phones that they do not take a huge hit in quality. I know that the biggest bang for the buck has always been at this tier but it is good to hear it confirmed. I have had the hd600's for a couple of years now and have thoroughly enjoyed them with the Valhalla 2 and Bifrost 4490. Hopefully the combo will have good synergy with the HD6xx as well. The HD600's are amazing with well recorded music but can be brutal on sub par recordings. General consensus is that is not so much the case with the HD6xx and that they are somewhat more forgiving. Hopefully so as I am a huge Grateful Dead fan and have a decent collection of shows. Thanks again,
Kevin

Jul 2, 2017 at 12:05 AM Post #3,417 of 4,141
Thanks so much for the detailed response, it definitely helps to put my mind at ease. It is great to hear that comparing them with some of the TOTL phones that they do not take a huge hit in quality. I know that the biggest bang for the buck has always been at this tier but it is good to hear it confirmed. I have had the hd600's for a couple of years now and have thoroughly enjoyed them with the Valhalla 2 and Bifrost 4490. Hopefully the combo will have good synergy with the HD6xx as well. The HD600's are amazing with well recorded music but can be brutal on sub par recordings. General consensus is that is not so much the case with the HD6xx and that they are somewhat more forgiving. Hopefully so as I am a huge Grateful Dead fan and have a decent collection of shows. Thanks again,
Kevin

I also started off with the HD600. When I joined the last Drop for the HD6XX, I couldn't be happier. I gave away my HD600 to a friend, and haven't regretted it. I just like the warmer, lusher tone of the 6XX. And the extra bass is nice.

Which one you prefer will depend entirely on your tastes in signature.

Jul 2, 2017 at 12:34 AM Post #3,418 of 4,141
Tried some unamped 650's two weeks ago and was unimpressed. Last week I tried an amped 600 and was underwhelmed.

Despite that I have been following this drop. I kept saying two things to myself: If they were $200.00, I'd have to consider buying them, just based on the price and their reputation. The second bit of internal conversation was "If I had a job..."

Well, they dropped in price and I started a new job on Thursday, so I had to take plunge.

There is nothing logical about this hobby.

Shane D

Jul 2, 2017 at 2:02 AM Post #3,420 of 4,141
Tried some unamped 650's two weeks ago and was unimpressed. Last week I tried an amped 600 and was underwhelmed.

Despite that I have been following this drop. I kept saying two things to myself: If they were $200.00, I'd have to consider buying them, just based on the price and their reputation. The second bit of internal conversation was "If I had a job..."

Well, they dropped in price and I started a new job on Thursday, so I had to take plunge.

There is nothing logical about this hobby.

Shane D

If you don't like good headphones, Sennheiser isn't for you. :wink:

I'm incapable of trusting someone who doesn't like the HD600 at least a lot. :L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back