Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Nov 4, 2016 at 9:21 PM Post #256 of 4,141
What are the differences between the standard 650 and mass drop 650, if any? The mass drop description suggests there are a few mass drop exclusive tweaks of some kind. 

According to Massdrop only aesthetic changes. Same materials and hand matched drivers.

Nov 4, 2016 at 9:28 PM Post #257 of 4,141
For the price there's really no contest in my opinion, even with the Jotun's builtin DAC module. The A4BL isn't even fully balanced either it just has a 4 pin XLR headphone jack; the Jotunheim is and the power it puts out opposed to the Fostex is exorbitant. If we were talking about some 200-300 USD headphones with like 32 ohm impedance and relatively cheap monitors then it may be way less obvious but the HD650s scalability deserves the best you can afford in my opinion.

How about iFi or Mojo?

Nov 4, 2016 at 9:35 PM Post #258 of 4,141
  What are the differences between the standard 650 and mass drop 650, if any? The mass drop description suggests there are a few mass drop exclusive tweaks of some kind. 

This has been answered several times already.

*matte midnight blue paint

*6ft. cable with 1/8 termination

*several driver, same measurement, same sound

*both are build in Ireland with same parts

*Massdrop logo with hd 6xx imprint 

Nov 4, 2016 at 10:32 PM Post #260 of 4,141
For those who are interesting in getting these to pair with a Jotunhei:

-If you want the lowest cost option, get the Jotunheim with internal DAC, it will still sound good
-If you want the best sound without going over $1K, get an amp only Jotunheim, pair it with a Mimby, and get an inexpensive balanced cable (or reterminate the included cable). This will sound better than the internal DAC and still not cost you a metric ton of money.

Personally I'd only recommend going balanced if you've already got a great external DAC. Otherwise it's better to put the money you would have spent on a balanced cable going towards a Mimby.

And yes, that setup is going to be good enough for a lot of audiophiles. All three components punch well above their price. The only place worth going from there with the 650 is to Gumby/Yggy or a nice NOS R2R DAC and a TOTL tube amp.

Nov 4, 2016 at 11:16 PM Post #261 of 4,141
Do these limited run mass drops become collector's items?

The price seems fantastic. I'm leaning towards these instead of the 600's even though the MD's have a darker sound signature. 

If I'm not thrilled with the sound quality, I may turn around and sell. It looks like they will ship late December, not anytime soon. 

Nov 4, 2016 at 11:20 PM Post #262 of 4,141
Do these limited run mass drops become collector's items?

The price seems fantastic. I'm leaning towards these instead of the 600's even though the MD's have a darker sound signature. 

If I'm not thrilled with the sound quality, I may turn around and sell. It looks like they will ship late December, not anytime soon. 

Depends how many runs and the demand... the K7xx's are now sold used often for 150-160 dollars. The original mahogany th-X00's seem to be dropping in price a bit too.

Nov 4, 2016 at 11:24 PM Post #264 of 4,141
That's fine. I just don't want to lose like $100 if I happen not to like 'em. I'd be happy to sell them at cost if they're not my cup of tea. 

I'm assuming that since used 650's sell for close to $300 I can make back what I bought 'em for. Obviously, I hope I like them a lot, but you never know. 

Nov 4, 2016 at 11:41 PM Post #265 of 4,141
I have owned my HD600s since the 90's and I have never looked back...
While a GREAT price I am not really sure it's worth it to me to really get a set even for that price, given the other sets of 
cans I already own! Just have to wait and see... I binged and got a Cavalli LC 2 and I need to upgrade my DAC to balanced just because... 
I do realize many argue the worth of that but I figure what not go balanced all the way!

Nov 5, 2016 at 12:06 AM Post #266 of 4,141
Merrick,

Thanks for your reply on using the HD6XX w/a Jotunheim.  Could you clarify how I would actually run these components from my PC?  I am guessing, PC -> USB cable -> Mimby -> RCA out to SE IN -> Jotunheim -> Modded stock cable to XLRs balanced PRE out -> HD650 ??

Sorry if that does not make sense, not sure here.

thanks.

Nov 5, 2016 at 12:47 AM Post #268 of 4,141
  Merrick,

Thanks for your reply on using the HD6XX w/a Jotunheim.  Could you clarify how I would actually run these components from my PC?  I am guessing, PC -> USB cable -> Mimby -> RCA out to SE IN -> Jotunheim -> Modded stock cable to XLRs balanced PRE out -> HD650 ??

thanks.

That looks right except it would be modded stock cable to single 4-pin XLR and it would plug into the balanced headphone out on the Joti's front, not the balanced pre outs on the Joti's back. Those are dual 3-pin XLR and aren't for headphone use.

Should I sell my hd600 and get the hd650.

Do you like brighter or darker cans? What are you pairing them with? The 650 is darker than the 600, and it synergizes well with different components.

Nov 5, 2016 at 12:55 AM Post #269 of 4,141

Merrick,

thanks.

That looks right except it would be modded stock cable to single 4-pin XLR and it would plug into the balanced headphone out on the Joti's front, not the balanced pre outs on the Joti's back. Those are dual 3-pin XLR and aren't for headphone use.

Should I sell my hd600 and get the hd650.

Do you like brighter or darker cans? What are you pairing them with? The 650 is darker than the 600, and it synergizes well with different components.
I have the grace m9xx from mass drop. I like the sound of he500

Nov 5, 2016 at 12:59 AM Post #270 of 4,141
I haven't heard the Grace so I can't say how well it will synergize with the 650. I also haven't heard an unmodded HE500 so I don't know how comparable that is to the 650. Perhaps other Grace M9XX owners can tell you how the 650 sounds with it.

Do you have hi-fi shops in your area? Are any of them Sennheiser dealers? If they are then they almost certainly have a 650 you can demo. You should be able to bring your Grace in to use as a source. Just a thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back