sennheiser vs akg. ( HD650 or DT 990 or AKG Q701 or AKG 702 or AKG and any other AKG or headphones)
Sep 2, 2012 at 6:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

rei075

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone, I am going to buy high-end headphone to listen to mainly classical music and piano (mainly alfred cortot, rubinstein, horowitz...etc) on my PC. I would like to know which headphone would be best for that. the HD650 or DT 990 or AKG Q701 or AKG 702 or AKG and any other AKG or headphones ?. I am really gratefully for any help thank you.

Sep 2, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #2 of 24
Be aware that HD650 are very picky with what gear you pairing them with so unless you pair them with something known to be the perfect match, Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 for example, they lacking deep sub-bass classical and jazz demand. Dt990 have very bright often harsh highs while AKG k701/702 require good dedicated amp to shine. You should really consider HE-400 or D7000 instead

Sep 2, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #4 of 24
Quote:
Hello everyone, I am going to buy high-end headphone to listen to mainly classical music and piano (mainly alfred cortot, rubinstein, horowitz...etc) on my PC. I would like to know which headphone would be best for that. the HD650 or DT 990 or AKG Q701 or AKG 702 or AKG and any other AKG or headphones ?. I am really gratefully for any help thank you.

Meh. The HD650 amp requirements are blown out of proportion. Most, if not all the difference between amps are due to some kind of expectation bias anyways. 

AKGs have a large soundstage but I don't recommend them overall because I don't find that they don't reproduce timbre well in the lower range. Probably some problems with the overtones. Have trouble listening to large modern symphonic works or organ pieces with these. The Q701 does sound nice with jazz though (soundstage wise), as long as trumpets aren't involved. 

The DT990 has a nice airy sound like all the Beyerdynamics but again, bit too much bass in the 50-150 hertz region. I actually don't mind accentuated treble in the mid-upper midrange just because I feel that for some piano pieces, the piano needs to have a stronger treble (Bach keyboard works for instance). For anything else though, especially with something like Debussy who manipulated the sonority of the piano, and relied on weak treble, I don't recommend it. Decent soundstage though, and more accurate imaging than the AKGs imo. Maybe you should look into the DT880/600 instead. 

HD650 suffers from the same problem (too much bass) but their rolled off treble works well with classical music, except when something like cymbals are involved. Timbre reproduction is quite good, as well as imaging. Soundstage is good. I like the dark sound but again, too much bass for piano works. 

I liked the HD600 and HD598 better than the 650 for classical music (and a lot of other genres). Timbre is more refined on the HD600, with less grain to boot. Very nice treble with the HD600. But I'd give the edge to the 598 most of the time, mainly for its far superior soundstage. But the 598s have slightly stronger upper midrange than I'd like, but EQ solves the problem. As long as you cover 50-1600 hertz as a perceived flat frequency response, everything should be fine. There is a tutorial on how to EQ properly but I can't find it. Oh, and an amp is a must for both the 600 and 598. 

Sep 5, 2012 at 12:46 AM Post #7 of 24
I myself have owned an akg 701 phone for several years and have been very satisfied with its performance.But to get the best from them you have to use a pretty stout amplifier. I do not know what you are using to drive your headphones in your computer based system so I can not say if your amp is stout enough to wring the best from the 701s.I know they are not cheap but I have seen them discounted a fair amont on amazon.So I think you should be able to squeeze a pair in at the budget you claimed.But the amp is another matter.The akgs are very neutral in balance and have excellent soudstage reproduction.The akgs are very honest sounding and true to the source.So if honety is what you want the akgs might be what you are looking for.

Sep 5, 2012 at 9:28 AM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Heya,

AKG Q701 with a simple Fiio E10 or capable sound card.

Very best,

Sep 7, 2012 at 6:17 AM Post #14 of 24
Quote:
Most, if not all the difference between amps are due to some kind of expectation bias anyways. 

HD650 suffers from the same problem (too much bass) but their rolled off treble works well with classical music. 

Two interesting statements here. I agree entirely with the first, and yes, with the second too. What makes the second most interesting is that on the LCD-2 thread in the high end forum one constantly reads that the LCD-2s rolled off treble makes it unsuitable for classical; that the HD800 is a better choice. For my part I own an LCD-2 (Rev1) and find it great for classical; what's more I think the last thing classical needs is exaggerated treble of any kind. But over there I seem to be in the minority.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back