Sennheiser unipolar 2000 mod thread
Apr 28, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #62 of 174
Quote:
They're right there. Four pairs this month.

ebay.de never returns any results for me 
mad.gif

May 9, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #65 of 174
[]

[]

K 701 above, modded Unipolar below. Though that's an older Unipolar measurement, before I added the moisture guard to the front.

There's not much point doing a listening comparison between the two phones since I fundamentally don't like the way the 701 sound. They're inferior to the Unip technically as well - wonkier frequency response, slower decay, and more harmonic distortion. But for the sake of having done it I'll attempt a quick comparison in a day or two.

May 10, 2013 at 1:39 AM Post #66 of 174
They got a wonky and plasticky sounding treble range with a hint of brightness. I always found it funny K701 users saying that you need a $1000+ amp to fix the craptacular FR/sound of the K701. 

May 13, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #69 of 174
Each to their own. I don't know what kind of music you guys listen to but for me k701 is a superb headphone. There is no point in discussing these different points of view at all.

May 13, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #72 of 174
They got a wonky and plasticky sounding treble range with a hint of brightness. I always found it funny K701 users saying that you need a $1000+ amp to fix the craptacular FR/sound of the K701. 

Nice to see how stereotypes started by Uncle Eric in 2006 still live on this forum. What exactly is that "plasticky" sound of the treble? I thought it was the mids that sounded plasticky.

May 14, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #74 of 174
The K 701 sounded quite good for acoustic guitar, not so much for other types of music I tried.

That the Unipolar are better is not just my personal opinion, however, but a fact supported by measurements. Faster decay, smoother response, and less harmonic distortion. Also, of my vintage headphones, it's not just the Unipolar that are technically better than the K 701.

Yeah, everything was better before. Isn't your purpose on this forum to persuade everybody else that is true?

May 14, 2013 at 2:02 AM Post #75 of 174
Quote:
Nice to see how stereotypes started by Uncle Eric in 2006 still live on this forum. What exactly is that "plasticky" sound of the treble? I thought it was the mids that sounded plasticky.

Yes and Uncle Erics description is the best way of putting it. The treble sounds bright and hollow with certain recordings, like you hear it is there but there is no sense of impact or texture from the treble (especially with vocals) to the ears, just a bright shrilling sounding treb range. People who use to say you need beefy $1k+ amp's to tame down the sound of the K701 is on crack, as amplification can't fix a engineering defect either with the way AKG tuned the drivers or the housing.

My blame is on the housing. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back