Sennheiser says it’s open to selling its consumer audio business
Feb 17, 2021 at 9:33 PM Post #17 of 144
Feb 17, 2021 at 9:43 PM Post #18 of 144
To be fair, Sennheiser’s official press release words it differently:
https://en-us.sennheiser.com/newsroom/message-from-andreas-and-daniel-sennheiser

“ Our products stand for the best sound and a unique audio experience. These are crucial factors at the heart of the purchasing decision for our customers in the Premium Headphones, Audiophile, Enhanced Hearing and Soundbars segments. Together with a partner, we want to build upon these strengths. In addition, it is crucial to increase the visibility of Sennheiser products in the market in order to participate in sustainable growth.”
when a big name like sennheiser says they need a "partner" they are checking out, it's a nice way to keep the sale value of the company high so it doesn't look like they handed it over to different people they will stick around as consultants with big paychecks, maybe do something maybe not, but their mere presence will justify what will be their leaving checks and then one day they will leave one at a time over the course of 6 months to a year and silently drop notices like Mr.1 left, Mr.2 left until they are gone without having to say the entire team left

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2021 at 10:51 PM Post #19 of 144
when a big name like sennheiser says they need a "partner" they are checking out, it's a nice way to keep the sale value of the company high so it doesn't look like they handed it over to different people they will stick around as consultants with big paychecks, maybe do something maybe not, but their mere presence will justify what will be their leaving checks and then one day they will leave one at a time over the course of 6 months too a year and silently drop notices like Mr.1 left, Mr.2 left until they are gone without having to say the entire team left

That’s what I’m worried about or it may be a slow gradual decline. We already lost the original AKG and their unique innovations, I’m worried Sennheiser may go the same way over the years, hopefully it's not the case. Of the original big 3 it seems it’s just Beyerdynamic that’s going to be left intact and their own entity.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2021 at 11:11 PM Post #20 of 144
That’s what I’m worried about or it may be a slow gradual decline. We already lost the original AKG and their unique innovations, I’m worried Sennheiser may go the same way over the years. Of the original big 3 it seems it’s just Beyerdynamic that’s going to be left intact and their own entity.
I venture into pure speculation

but both started dabbling with massdrop and the gigantic industrial grind of more and cheaper makes most money, it has diluted the purity of their brand amongst the top echelon and reduced their status to now Chinese competition moving in like Hifiman and more recently now with the global shift in economical power, they are coming in the dozens... the problem with cheaper and more is that you have to have more workforce and investment so yes more money but also more work and more risk if it goes south they have to do layoffs, sell assets at a fraction of cost and risk losing big, all this with more Chinese companies and others moving in.... High tier audio is a crapshoot, or at least was, how many brands made legit S tier headphones? Meanwhile every dick can make a good low B/C tier for around a $100 and consumers are like fish, look at the TWS market niche headphone companies are making recommended lists left and right and as much as video is killing articles those articles sell thousands and thousands of units, so all it takes in this high risk scenario is for another company to have a feature, or a double digit % lead in price or performance and suddenly that risk materializes and Sennheiser looses ground freefall. I think the buy in with Drop was a deal with the devil they tasted the life but realistically it devalued their brand, 660S sales likely dropped as did HD600 sure audiophiles here buy them but who else really does. If sennheiser 6 series isn't winning the game at $200(it's a player but face it, it is not) then it sure as crap isn't winning are $400-500 which is true if you look closer, DB 1990/TYGR etc coming in, Sundara, Monoprice almost entire lineup, BLON... the list goes on, I mean it's a ****ing gangbang under $500 I don't blame them for throwing the whole thing in the away it's kind of a dumpster fire trying to figure out what sells...

The Crux - Sennheiser is getting old and sorry old guys but what old guys do best isn't follow trends, not to mention Sennheiser never did to begin with anyway. They want to do things their way and it simply doesn't cut it. Haven't listened to AKG headphones but in general they have a more consumer friendly sound right? if that's true, where their prices competitive? Anyway Sennheiser has a very unique sound, and even though music is going in general away from the direction as a sound, as it does, I mean at one time Banjo salesmen must have been making a killing, still they are useful but if they can't make it being the best and one of the very few if not really only ones notable for their niche then there is literally just too much competition

It's a sad day my friend but I am not a sentimental person, that last part should give you a glimmer of hope, better will come, the best breeds only fall to worthy competition, it may be different products across different brands and there may never reign kings as they were. But I can assure you, like a squirrel you will get your nut my friend, you will get your nut....

Feb 18, 2021 at 12:40 AM Post #21 of 144
No. Sennheiser is failing because management thought they needed to be cool.

They don't. They were a viable company when they engineered and produced audio gear that was tops. And their market position was strong.

Not everything is an iPhone, fellas. If you wrestle with pigs, you're gonna get dirty.

Feb 18, 2021 at 12:42 AM Post #22 of 144
One can hope on the other hand that, if Sennheiser is looking for a “partner”/acquirer, an entity such as IAG - known for its awareness of brand value in its many holdings - be the preference.

Feb 18, 2021 at 12:48 AM Post #24 of 144
No. Sennheiser is failing because management thought they needed to be cool.

They don't. They were a viable company when they engineered and produced audio gear that was tops. And their market position was strong.

Not everything is an iPhone, fellas. If you wrestle with pigs, you're gonna get dirty.
I just said that tho

"management thought they needed to be cool."
I said that too, Chinese moved it and did it cheaper/better
sennheiser didn't commit, it was doomed regardless left behind or changed into something 100% diffrent

whateves, like your opinion and stuff

Feb 18, 2021 at 1:49 AM Post #25 of 144
It's sad but hardly surprising news. They haven't made anything truly groundbreaking anymore since the HD800 13 years ago.
And they don't need to.

Feb 18, 2021 at 2:07 AM Post #26 of 144
I venture into pure speculation

but both started dabbling with massdrop and the gigantic industrial grind of more and cheaper makes most money, it has diluted the purity of their brand amongst the top echelon and reduced their status to now Chinese competition moving in like Hifiman and more recently now with the global shift in economical power, they are coming in the dozens... the problem with cheaper and more is that you have to have more workforce and investment so yes more money but also more work and more risk if it goes south they have to do layoffs, sell assets at a fraction of cost and risk losing big, all this with more Chinese companies and others moving in.... High tier audio is a crapshoot, or at least was, how many brands made legit S tier headphones? Meanwhile every dick can make a good low B/C tier for around a $100 and consumers are like fish, look at the TWS market niche headphone companies are making recommended lists left and right and as much as video is killing articles those articles sell thousands and thousands of units, so all it takes in this high risk scenario is for another company to have a feature, or a double digit % lead in price or performance and suddenly that risk materializes and Sennheiser looses ground freefall. I think the buy in with Drop was a deal with the devil they tasted the life but realistically it devalued their brand, 660S sales likely dropped as did HD600 sure audiophiles here buy them but who else really does. If sennheiser 6 series isn't winning the game at $200(it's a player but face it, it is not) then it sure as crap isn't winning are $400-500 which is true if you look closer, DB 1990/TYGR etc coming in, Sundara, Monoprice almost entire lineup, BLON... the list goes on, I mean it's a ****ing gangbang under $500 I don't blame them for throwing the whole thing in the away it's kind of a dumpster fire trying to figure out what sells...

The Crux - Sennheiser is getting old and sorry old guys but what old guys do best isn't follow trends, not to mention Sennheiser never did to begin with anyway. They want to do things their way and it simply doesn't cut it. Haven't listened to AKG headphones but in general they have a more consumer friendly sound right? if that's true, where their prices competitive? Anyway Sennheiser has a very unique sound, and even though music is going in general away from the direction as a sound, as it does, I mean at one time Banjo salesmen must have been making a killing, still they are useful but if they can't make it being the best and one of the very few if not really only ones notable for their niche then there is literally just too much competition

It's a sad day my friend but I am not a sentimental person, that last part should give you a glimmer of hope, better will come, the best breeds only fall to worthy competition, it may be different products across different brands and there may never reign kings as they were. But I can assure you, like a squirrel you will get your nut my friend, you will get your nut....

AKG was not consumer friendly sound, in fact more professional and audiophile focused when AKG was still AKG (it’s just a name now). Their sound was more unique than Sennheisers imho.

A big problem I find with Sennheiser imho was a lack of updated or additional mid/high-tier headphones. There was no real supplement/replacement for the HD 600/650 and Sennheiser never truly scaled down the HD 800 drivers like say Beyer did with their Tesla drivers. The HD 700 was a failure and more of a tweak on the HD 600/650 driver than the HD 800’s. The drop deal did cheapen the HD 600/650 perception some and the headphones aren’t often given the amplifiers, etc. they deserve and the HD 660 S wasn’t quite different enough and ended up constantly being compared to the HD 600/650 which hurt it early on especially. Very few headphones in the $200 range can come close to a well-driven HD 6XX, there is a big difference between an okay driven HD 600/650/6XX and a well driven one. I thought they were mediocre until I heard a well driven one and honestly going to wait until I get a better suited system for them before I pick up the HD 600/650 again. A lot of the newer headphones aren’t necessarily better, my best sounding headphone is by far my oldest pair.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 2:13 AM Post #27 of 144
AKG was not consumer friendly sound, in fact more professional and audiophile focused when AKG was still AKG (it’s just a name now).
ah didn't know

Very few headphones in the $200 range can come close to a well-driven HD 6XX, there is a big difference between a okay driven HD 600/650/6XX and a well driven one. I thought they were mediocre until I heard a well driven one and honestly going to wait until I get a better suited system for them before I pick up the HD 600/650 again. A lot of the newer headphones aren’t necessarily better, my best sounding headphone is by far my oldest pair.
honestly I would like details on well driven, I am interested in improving my experience, I just ordered some angled sheepskin pads from Brainwavz too(will use on Cloud II if not good)

but as far as the bold part consumers clearly do not agree(I know you said well driven but then that makes it over $200...)
audiophiles may agree, and they are probably correct in a measurable way but audiophiles don't make money, sheep make money and my point is strictly financial, walks like a duck, talks like a duck etc, if the crowd says a sack of rotten potatoes taste better than a juicy hamburger then they taste better when it comes toymaking money, that is the true meaning of the customer is always right

Feb 18, 2021 at 2:29 AM Post #29 of 144
ah didn't know

honestly I would like details on well driven, I am interested in improving my experience, I just ordered some angled sheepskin pads from Brainwavz too(will use on Cloud II if not good)

but as far as the bold part consumers clearly do not agree(I know you said well driven but then that makes it over $200...)
audiophiles may agree, and they are probably correct in a measurable way but audiophiles don't make money, sheep make money and my point is strictly financial, walks like a duck, talks like a duck etc, if the crowd says a sack of rotten potatoes taste better than a juicy hamburger then they taste better when it comes toymaking money, that is the true meaning of the customer is always right
Yeah, I personally really liked AKG so it was a bit of blow when they shut down their Austrian headquarters and laid off their engineers.

Honestly one of the cheapest amps I heard drive it incredibly well was the Bottlehead Crack w/ Speedball which itself cost more than the headphone and needs to be assembled; the HD 600/650 pairing with that amp is famous for a reason. Any nice tube amp will bring more out of them. The HD 600/650’s are meant to be on tubes in my experience. I don’t have a nice tube amp right now and more focused on getting a nice SS amp to bring more out of my main headphones which are low impedance so the HD 600/650 isn’t really on my radar right now, as I do not like them much on the majority of SS amps. In a bit of a gear transition phase right now as I’m trying to figure out which direction to go on amps/dacs.

Feb 18, 2021 at 2:32 AM Post #30 of 144
Yeah, I personally really liked AKG so it was a bit of blow when they shut down their Austrian headquarters and laid off their engineers.

Honestly one of the cheapest amps I heard drive it incredibly well was the Bottlehead Crack w/ Speedball which itself cost more than the headphone and needs to be assembled; the HD 600/650 pairing with that amp is famous for a reason. Any nice tube amp will bring more out of them. The HD 600/650’s are meant to be on tubes in my experience. I don’t have a nice tube amp right now and more focused on getting a nice SS amp to bring more out of my main headphones which are low impedance so the HD 600/650 isn’t really on my radar right now, as I do not like them much on the majority of SS amps. In a bit of a gear transition phase right now as I’m trying to figure out which direction to go on amps/dacs.
I was thinking of buying this dirty little thing
https://drop.com/buy/bravo-v2-headphone-amp-with-gold-lion-ecc82-tube
I did like having 2 amps but it doesn't even say power output

but I also bought Galaxy Bugs(they are on sale $50 on walmart and amazon) and wanted bluetooth headphones, some guy on ebay is selling Marshal Majors II BT for like $50 and has almost 200 sold so I was going to roll the dice and see if they are counterfeit

choices choices

Users who are viewing this thread

Back