Sennheiser says it’s open to selling its consumer audio business
Feb 18, 2021 at 2:47 AM Post #31 of 144
This kind of thinking is exactly what led to their demise. :sweat_smile:
Just the opposite. Chasing fickle consumerism is what failed. The core products are as good as anything on the market.

Feb 18, 2021 at 5:25 AM Post #33 of 144
Without naming my old company, we sold high end audio and headphones in some of the most prestigious stores in London and Knightsbridge, Sennheiser always did well and had a solid reputation with the consumer.
But to be honest if you speak to consumers about Abyss, Hifiman, Audeze etc, they are lost. Sony, B&W, Bose and Sennheiser are go to products like Sonos is for multi room with them. I would be very surprised if it’s sold but then the market share is being diluted everyday now in the arena I work in “Apple”.

Feb 18, 2021 at 5:32 AM Post #34 of 144
Without naming my old company, we sold high end audio and headphones in some of the most prestigious stores in London and Knightsbridge, Sennheiser always did well and had a solid reputation with the consumer.
But to be honest if you speak to consumers about Abyss, Hifiman, Audeze etc, they are lost. Sony, B&W, Bose and Sennheiser are go to products like Sonos is for multi room with them. I would be very surprised if it’s sold but then the market share is being diluted everyday now in the arena I work in “Apple”.
Do you know my sister? I overheard her saying like the other night "she had some" and then your name

on a serious note the problem is you can't and won't ever speak to the bulk of consumers, they shop online and from working with all the major retailers for my sector I can say amazon has the most and amazon customers interact the least

unless you take a look at actual figures for sales or at least searches/impressions/clicks type it into amazon and whatever pops up is selling, that is the truth my friend, sure Senn is doing great with audiophiles and killing with people who go out to events but a much much much larger portion of people are swarming to whatever is on lists for "best headphones under $X" and whatever pops up on the first few pages of Amazon, it's not even a fair fight, Senn is losing ground faster than Japan when a tsunami hits.

Feb 18, 2021 at 6:15 AM Post #36 of 144
Apple must be readying it's cash pile. Buy for 1b then profit 2b. Why not?

They can rebrand all Senn's models to beats.

Feb 18, 2021 at 8:36 AM Post #38 of 144
Apple must be readying it's cash pile. Buy for 1b then profit 2b. Why not?
Apple has nothing to gain buying Sennheiser’s consumer division. The most valuable thing Sennheiser can sell is their name, something that could - very theoretically - benefit a brand in search of an image. Apple isn’t.
That’s highly theoretical given that in the TWS market Samsung already outsells its sister brands Harman / JBL / AKG.

Feb 18, 2021 at 10:33 AM Post #39 of 144
If Apple cared about hifi anything they would have done it by now. No, make no mistake, the worst consumer products Sennheiser ever came up with are better than the best iAnything that will ever see the light of day :D

Feb 18, 2021 at 10:39 AM Post #40 of 144
I've been thinking for a while that they must be having problems with their lineup and product management. I wrote this nearly two years ago:
Now that you mention it, I seem to remember something like that being said when they very first came out... but it was soon updated with a non-committal "well, maybe it'll replace the HD 650, depending on sales." I think that was toward the beginning of the HD 660 thread, if you want to look for it. Of course, now with 75k sales of the HD 6XX plus whatever the 650 is still pulling in, I doubt that they're in a rush to discontinue that line. And you're right, it's likely the HD 58X and 650/6XX are cannibalizing sales from the 660 S.

What they seem to have done, A Greek Comic Tragedy:
Sennheiser: The HD 650 sure is getting the long in the tooth. The People are champing at the bit for something New.
Chorus: Yeah! Give us something New!
Sennheiser: Here is the HD 660 S! The Heir to the HD 650! Long live The King!
Chorus: Huzz--
Sennheiser: But we still have the HD 650! Long live The King!
Chorus: Long live th--
Sennheiser: And now we've discounted The King as the HD 6XX, exclusive from MassDrop!
Chorus: Hooray! The King, only chea--
Sennheiser: Introducing The Crown Prince: the HD 58X!
Chorus: Hooray! Hurrah! ...wait a minute... Isn't that the Heir Apparent, the HD 660 S, only a lot cheaper?
Sennheiser: What? No! Totally not! See, the drivers are a different size! And it's a lot cheaper so you know it's not as good!
Chorus [really clamoring over itself with excitement and confusion]: We love Cheaper more than we love The King or the Heir Apparent!
Sennheiser: Huh? But Cheaper is not as good. You know that because it costs less--
Chorus 2: But we also love The King because now He is Cheaper, too! Huzzah!
Chorus 3: Some of us also really love the HD 660 S! To the Heir Apparent!
Chorus [all together]: We have many allegiances!
Sennheiser [to self]: Oh, god.
HD 660 S and HD 650: The hell just happened?

What they should have done (according to me):
Sennheiser: Coca-Cola The HD 650 sure is getting the long in the tooth. The People are champing at the bit for something New.
Chorus: Yeah! Give us something New!
Sennheiser: Here is New Coke the HD 660 S! The Heir to Coca-Cola the HD 650! Long live The King!
Chorus: Boo! We love The King! We'll just drink Pepsi listen to Beats!
Sennheiser [to self]: Oh, shi--
[to Chorus]: Introducing Coke Classic the HD 650!
Chorus: The King is risen! Long live The King!
Sennheiser: Happy Easter, everybody!

Feb 18, 2021 at 12:23 PM Post #41 of 144
Feb 18, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #42 of 144
It's a sad day for Audio lovers and Enthusiast passionate music lovers that one of the world's renowned top brand is selling their engineering masterpiece innovations to dust because of the sheet flooding of the market with cheap Chinese gear and rubbish Wireless trash products. I don't want to write an essay on how market dynamics changed and all people wrote here already thanks to them.

I love my HD6XX, they opened a whole new way of enjoying one of the human evolutionary senses to absolute limitless happiness. I think many of us would say the same. When it's not broken why try to fix it ? That's how they really damn perfected the Headphone market without any Snake oil. I forgot to mention the first experience of mine with Sennheiser was CX300 MKII, they were the top IEMs that first blew me away with their presentation.

However the market of the blind mind numbing consumerism took over by Apple corp with Beats and emphasis on marketing gloss and that resulted in a slew of products which muddied their name and brand. 3.5mm jack dead, now soon USB ports will die all for year long purchases and every year refreshes. While we awe at the Sennheiser's perfection. Wish they just stick to their core audience who love audio but in this world of capitalism and everlasting growth, it wont suffice.

At this point I only hope for an angel investor who really cares about Audio and change their marketing and approach to the market however it's a garbage market where the SQ is nothing and the looks, ease of use and upgrades matter even when it's enough.

I can only share my passion and feelings along with the folks who share same thoughts.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 8:17 PM Post #44 of 144
Putting the trend of low cost consumer products to the side; look what Focal have achieved over the last few years in the headfi space. A whole bunch of great sounding and looking headphones. Senn's products look cheap in comparison and they aren't exactly leaders in new driver technology.

Feb 19, 2021 at 12:39 AM Post #45 of 144
Technology means nothing. How it sounds is what matters.

A pair of HD 600s out of a great amp is difficult to beat in some ways at any price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back