Sennheiser RS180 with a DAC question, is it worth it.
Jul 8, 2012 at 7:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Holowlegs

Head-Fier
Hello there

Does anyone use a DAC with the Sennheiser RS180 wireless headphones, and would it make an improvement to these headphones?

My set up at the moment is a desktop PC, music played via J-River, mostly Flac ripped from CD's and some 24 bit Flac's. From a desktop to a Kenwood ka 3020 amp ( which I brought new about 20 years ago and has done me some great services)  which feeds the Sennheiser RS180 wireless headphones.

Would a DAC make a difference to this system?

Have been looking at the Audiolab M-Dac, which could also replace the Kenwood amp.

Cheers Frank

Jul 11, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:
Does anyone use a DAC with the Sennheiser RS180 wireless headphones, and would it make an improvement to these headphones?
My set up at the moment is a desktop PC, music played via J-River, mostly Flac ripped from CD's and some 24 bit Flac's. From a desktop to a Kenwood ka 3020 amp ( which I brought new about 20 years ago and has done me some great services)  which feeds the Sennheiser RS180 wireless headphones.
Would a DAC make a difference to this system?
Have been looking at the Audiolab M-Dac, which could also replace the Kenwood amp.
Cheers Frank

Computer motherboards usually come with very low cost DACs.

If you would want to use surround sound (from Computer) with the Senn RS180
Asus Xonar DX or D1 sound card, (used $55), the Xonar will (should) come with a better DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) then your motherboard's built in.
you can run a 3.5mm (1/8" mini-jack) male to 3.5mm male between the Xonar and the RS180 base unit.
(not sure why the Kenwood is hook between computer and RS180 base unit)
The Xonar wound also give you Dolby headphone surround sound for movies and games

Second option
Get an external DAC, run S/PDIF (optical or coaxial) or USB from the computer to the external DAC, then RCA to 3.5mm to the RS180 base unit.

DACs sold on eBay, shipped from China
Muse DA 20 ($55)
SMSL SD-793 ($65)
SMSL SD-1955 ($105).

Edit, my dumb brain just figured out why the Kenwood was hooked up between the Computer and the RS180.
So what you really need is an external DAC with two set of analog outs (two set of RCA outputs).

Jul 12, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:
Computer motherboards usually come with very low cost DACs.

If you would want to use surround sound (from Computer) with the Senn RS180
Asus Xonar DX or D1 sound card, (used $55), the Xonar will (should) come with a better DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) then your motherboard's built in.
you can run a 3.5mm (1/8" mini-jack) male to 3.5mm male between the Xonar and the RS180 base unit.
(not sure why the Kenwood is hook between computer and RS180 base unit)
The Xonar wound also give you Dolby headphone surround sound for movies and games

Second option
Get an external DAC, run S/PDIF (optical or coaxial) or USB from the computer to the external DAC, then RCA to 3.5mm to the RS180 base unit.

DACs sold on eBay, shipped from China
Muse DA 20 ($55)
SMSL SD-793 ($65)
SMSL SD-1955 ($105).

Edit, my dumb brain just figured out why the Kenwood was hooked up between the Computer and the RS180.
So what you really need is an external DAC with two set of analog outs (two set of RCA outputs).

Thanks Purple Angel for your help here.

Not really looking for a surround sound set up, as I only listen to music with these headphones.

The reason the Kenwood amp is hooked up between PC and the RS180, is that I found sound was better with the amp included.

What I am trying to ask would an external DAC improve this system.

PC>Kenwood ka 3020 amp > Sennheiser RS180

Cheers Frank

Jul 12, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
Not really looking for a surround sound set up, as I only listen to music with these headphones.

The reason the Kenwood amp is hooked up between PC and the RS180, is that I found sound was better with the amp included.

What I am trying to ask would an external DAC improve this system.

PC>Kenwood ka 3020 amp > Sennheiser RS180

(had to reread your original post to center my brain on what your asking for)
Yes, an external DAC would improve the audio going from your computer to the RS180
Do I think you need to spend 600 pounds to do it, not really (but it is your money to do with as you please).
Those three DACs I listed (Muse DA20, SMSL SD-793, SMSL SD-1955) will do a good job of improving your audio for way way less money.

Just about any $50 (or more) external DAC would make audio sound better then whatever low cost DAC(s) are built into your computer's motherboard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back