Sennheiser RS 165, RS 175, RS 185, RS 195 - Impressions thread
Jul 16, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #226 of 440
I just switched from my several year old set of Koss Portapros to the RS 175. My main reason for switching was a desire for wireless headphones. I was always super happy with the Portapros - they are light, and I find the sound quality to be exceptional.

I was expecting an upgrade in sound quality by going to the RS 175, but my first impressions have been disappointing. Disclaimer: I am certainly no audio expert, so I just have a very uninformed opinion on the quality. The RS175 are my first ever set of circumaural, closed-back headphones, so I have a few questions to go with my comments.

I find the sound from the RS 175s seems almost 'detached' or far away, or otherwise somewhat muted. I recall many times with the Portapros hearing a sound from a song and thinking it was a sound coming from somewhere in my room rather than from the song on my computer. So, first question: Is that the nature of having circumaural headphones? I suppose the driver isn't being pressed right onto my ear like with the portapros.

The other part that bugs me is heat retention. I expected some, but its a bit more bothersome than I thought it would be. Would the open-back RS185s be more airy? Or would their open back nature only influence the sound and less so the physical feel of the headphones? I also sort-of feel like the RS175s build up air pressure in my ears - it's almost like i want to lift the cups to equalize it.

I guess I'm trying to figure out what I should be expecting because these are closed-back, circumaural headphones, and what I should be expecting because of the sound quality of the headphones themselves. I'd also like to know if moving to the RS185 would make a difference with respect to my notes above. Hope thats not too vague.

Jul 16, 2016 at 2:51 PM Post #227 of 440
Originally Posted by rkarsk /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I recall many times with the Portapros hearing a sound from a song and thinking it was a sound coming from somewhere in my room rather than from the song on my computer. So, first question: Is that the nature of having circumaural headphones? I suppose the driver isn't being pressed right onto my ear like with the portapros.

As a general statement, this lack of effect is not due to them being circumaural and more likely due to them being closed headphones.  I occasionally get the effect from my RS185, but much less often than I did with the HD598/HD700 which I used to own.  I'm not too familiar with the Porta Pros (semi-open?) but I'd hazard a guess that the driver distance isn't drastically different.  The RS175 driver cover more than likely touches your ear.

The other part that bugs me is heat retention. I expected some, but its a bit more bothersome than I thought it would be. Would the open-back RS185s be more airy? Or would their open back nature only influence the sound and less so the physical feel of the headphones? I also sort-of feel like the RS175s build up air pressure in my ears - it's almost like i want to lift the cups to equalize it.

The heat retention will be increased due to the pleather choice for the RS175.  The RS185 have very different feeling velour pads which would allow your ears to breathe more easily.  They would essentially make everything sound and feel more open, at the cost of losing some lower frequencies.

I think it's been mentioned that you can use a set of HDR185 on the RS175 base station, so you wouldn't need to replace the whole lot if you went that route.

Jul 27, 2016 at 10:12 PM Post #229 of 440
Would a used RS 185 set for $180 be a good deal or should I just get new for $240?

What kind of used? e-Bay used or Amazon warehouse used? :p

I bought mine "used" from the latter, safe in the knowledge of Amazon's return policy. I wouldn't have off eBay though, not for $60 difference.

Jul 27, 2016 at 10:29 PM Post #230 of 440
What kind of used? e-Bay used or Amazon warehouse used?
tongue.gif

I bought mine "used" from the latter, safe in the knowledge of Amazon's return policy. I wouldn't have off eBay though, not for $60 difference.

Amazon used but 3rd party seller. Would these be recommended for gaming? 

Jul 28, 2016 at 9:35 AM Post #233 of 440
I know these are wireless but are they similar in sound stage and sound quality to the hd 558/598?

In my opinion they are similar but don't quite reach the heights of the 598.  They are overall quite similar with the RS185 having a thicker low-end and the 598s have a cleaner midrange.

There really isn't much between them though, which I think speaks volumes about the quality of the wireless set.

Jul 28, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #234 of 440
In my opinion they are similar but don't quite reach the heights of the 598.  They are overall quite similar with the RS185 having a thicker low-end and the 598s have a cleaner midrange.

There really isn't much between them though, which I think speaks volumes about the quality of the wireless set.

Alright thanks for the info. I use the 558 for gaming so if this is a slightly better version and wireless illness b happy to buy. Would you say $245 new on Amazon is a good price for these?

Jul 28, 2016 at 11:22 AM Post #235 of 440
Alright thanks for the info. I use the 558 for gaming so if this is a slightly better version and wireless illness b happy to buy. Would you say $245 new on Amazon is a good price for these?

It's less than I paid back in February for my warehouse pair, so yes.

Jul 30, 2016 at 10:41 PM Post #237 of 440
So I got mine in and they sound great but on low levels there's a very present buzz, would switching to an optical mode be better then the analog one?

Absolutely. I also noticed the buzz when initially testing the analogue input. It's not present with the digital optical.

Jul 31, 2016 at 8:50 AM Post #238 of 440
Is there some (cheap) way of extending the reach of these headphones? (RS 185). I'm about to order mine, but I don't think the reach will extend from the second floor to the ground floor. And the ground floor is where I'd like to wear them when it gets too hot in my room (because of the amp and summertime). 

Aug 10, 2016 at 8:34 AM Post #239 of 440
Never mind my previous question.
Could anyone tell me how to resolve the lack of an optical connection on a receiver? I'd like to use the optical cable on my Marantz pm5005, but I see it doesn't have such a port...

So what kind of adapter/ converter should I buy?

Thank you all

Aug 10, 2016 at 8:55 AM Post #240 of 440
Never mind my previous question.

Could anyone tell me how to resolve the lack of an optical connection on a receiver? I'd like to use the optical cable on my Marantz pm5005, but I see it doesn't have such a port...

So what kind of adapter/ converter should I buy?

Thank you all

If the receiver doesn't have an optical port then you won't be able to pass the digital signal to it, even with an adapter. Any toslink->RCA converter box should work, but all you'll be doing is converting the signal to analogue and at that point you may do better to use the analogue out from the headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back