Sennheiser RS 165, RS 175, RS 185, RS 195 - Impressions thread
Aug 29, 2015 at 9:07 AM Post #121 of 440
I just got the RS 165's for my son, and I was wondering if I got any of the other kind in the series (including the 165's) if there would be bleed-thru, or do they work on different frequencies?  Our cat keeps chewing through our regular headphone cables, so I want to go with wireless headphones, and my son says these are the most comfortable.  Thanks for any help!

Tim

Aug 29, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #122 of 440
Hey Rosmadi, I've given up on finding suppliers for replacement parts here in Scandinavia so I'm wondering if the replacement ear pads for RS-220 fits the 175?

Thanks for you time mate! 

Aug 31, 2015 at 5:42 AM Post #123 of 440
Amazon has cheaper generic pads, but i never tried them so  don't know how good they are.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_pg_1?rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Ageneric+earpads+for+sennheiser+headphones&keywords=generic+earpads+for+sennheiser+headphones&ie=UTF8&qid=1441014069&spIA=B00N2PZH0S,B00N5OHPFQ,B00YM4KV40,B00YBYH6LC

Sep 16, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #124 of 440
Hi, I've just bought some RS 175's. Sound is great but I have one slight problem... When the batteries are fully charged is the charge LED supposed to go green? Mine is just staying on red all the time. Is it a fault?

Thanks

Sep 16, 2015 at 10:21 PM Post #125 of 440
  Hey Rosmadi, I've given up on finding suppliers for replacement parts here in Scandinavia so I'm wondering if the replacement ear pads for RS-220 fits the 175?

Thanks for you time mate! 

Apologies for this delayed response. Unfortunately, the replacement pads for RS 220 will not fit the RS 175. 

You may want to try our online store - http://en-de.sennheiser.com/sennheiser-accessories

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Sep 16, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #126 of 440
  Hi, I've just bought some RS 175's. Sound is great but I have one slight problem... When the batteries are fully charged is the charge LED supposed to go green? Mine is just staying on red all the time. Is it a fault?

Thanks

Hi borofanuk,

The first charging cycle takes longer (up to 16 hours) because it is used to determine the maximum capacity of the rechargeable batteries. The intelligent battery charging technology charges the rechargeable batteries both effectively and gently. After initial charging, a complete charging cycle takes up to 8.5 hours. During charging, the Charge status LED on the transmitter lights up red. When the rechargeable batteries are fully charged, the Charge status LED lights up green.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Sep 17, 2015 at 10:19 PM Post #127 of 440
I've been a 2-3 yr user of RS 180, loved every bit of it. I just noticed recently that there were new model revisions, how different is the sound between RS 180 and RS 195?

Also, just out of curiosity, does the RS 185 velour pads fit the RS 195, should i decide to go velour instead?

Sep 20, 2015 at 11:48 PM Post #128 of 440

Hello Rosmadi Mahmood,

I have read the whole this thread and still have some questions I would like to ask you to kindly answer. Below are mostly my guesses and common logic conclusions, could you be please so kind to point where I am right and where I am wrong?

Q1) Is analog ALC in 180 and 185 models the same? If not what is a difference?

Q2) Data which is transmitted via RF band in models RS 1x0 (like RS 170 etc.) and 1x5 (like RS 175 etc.) is digital: "MSK Digital" and "8-FSK Digital" format accordingly. User mark2410 had gave us very good and useful review for RS 185, I am thankful to him. He supposed (and not only he) that there is an internal DAC in 1x5 models. Maybe the statement was based upon a price, maybe he has another information source, I do not know, I could not find any official information concerning to it.
Do models 1x5 (like RS 175 etc.) really have a DAC?

Q3) If they have a DAC, why it is needed?
I will try to illustrate in more details my logic below.

Is there is no DAC, processing for digital input data might go like this:
a) digital input data --> processing of digital data (maybe bass boost, surround modes in 175, balance control in 185, balance control, speech clarity etc. in 195) --> Sennhieser  (not Kleer’s) digital data processing (prepare for transmission) --> transmitting digital data over RF --> RF read by phones and Sennhieser (not Kleer’s) digital data reverse processing/decoding --> phone’s DAC --> phone’s amplifier.
b) analog input data --> analog data processing (like setting sound level, ALC, MLC) --> ADC --> here we get the same digital data as in case 3-a and further processing goes the same way.

The mentioned above "processings" (bass boost etc.) work for both analog and digital input and could be controlled from phones remotely too, so they should logically be in digital circuit, but analog data processing (like setting sound level, ALC, MLC) is available only for analog input.
I suppose the architecture is a correct one, am I right?

If there would be an internal DAC within, then processing for digital input would rather go like this:
c) digital input data --> DAC --> analog data (like setting sound level, ALC, MLC) --> ADC --> digital data --> processing of digital data (maybe bass boost, surround modes in 175, balance control in 185, balance control, speech clarity etc. in 195) --> Sennhieser (not Kleer’s) digital data processing --> transmitting digital data over RF --> RF read by phones and Sennhieser (not Kleer’s) digital data reverse processing/decoding --> phone’s DAC --> phone’s amplifier.
d) analog input data --> analog data processing (like setting sound level, ALC, MLC) - here we get the same analog data as in case 3-c and further processing goes the same way.

If case 3-c would hold true,
I) we would have sound level adjustment possibility for digital input too;
II) Sennhieser  would not suggest always to use digital input, but only in cases when external DAC is not so good as one from TR 1x5 (SNR values from specification for analog and digital input also says about it).
III) There could be possibility to use ALC for digital input (good feature btw.).
So it looks like it is not the case we have.

Please correct me where I am wrong and point me where I am correct.

Q4) If one looks upon the very first page of manual for RS 1x0 and RS 1x5 models one can see in pictures that 1x5 models do have more curved holder "springs", I mean ear pads have bigger angle between them. It looks firmer in TR holder, but IMO it is not good for head. Someone also writes that 1x5 version has much more pressure to head then 1x0. I just do not understand why it is done so (comparing to 1x0 models)... For my mom bigger pressure is a big disadvantage. For Hi-Fi phones one might not wear them for whole day, but for TV usage it could be the case. One even can fall asleep accidentally with phones on, how would he feel after waking up? People with good health might not pay much attention to it (which IMO is unwise), but my mom has a headache after such ones - I bought her once phones she could not use. I might understand it if the phones would be made for sport. I do like how Sennhieser phones sound in general, especially good ones and give a big and sincere credit to engineers’ hard work, but I would like to ask them in the particular case - why?

Q5) In my wild dreams :) I can see in phones spec. information about how much pressure (i.e. in Newton) each circumaural and supraaural phones put to a "standard" head (or ears in case of supraaural ones) to be able to compare the values before buying. Could possibly Sennheiser be a pioneer in the field? I think buyers would appreciate such care about them.

Question @everyone who possesses 1x5 models:
- How much maximal time could you spend wearing them?
- How pressure to head is compared to HD-650 (which I have, so can get an impression comparing to it)?

Many thanks to Rosmadi Mahmood and everybody in advance!

Sep 22, 2015 at 5:08 AM Post #129 of 440
  I've been a 2-3 yr user of RS 180, loved every bit of it. I just noticed recently that there were new model revisions, how different is the sound between RS 180 and RS 195?

Also, just out of curiosity, does the RS 185 velour pads fit the RS 195, should i decide to go velour instead?

Hi jyle_t,

There are a couple of differences between the RS 180 and RS 195. The former is an open model while the latter is a closed one.

The RS 195 has good midrange clarity as well as an improvement in its bass quality. They also come with additional features - digital input capability and hearing assist functions. 

Hello Rosmadi Mahmood,

I have read the whole this thread and still have some questions I would like to ask you to kindly answer. Below are mostly my guesses and common logic conclusions, could you be please so kind to point where I am right and where I am wrong?

Q2) Data which is transmitted via RF band in models RS 1x0 (like RS 170 etc.) and 1x5 (like RS 175 etc.) is digital: "MSK Digital" and "8-FSK Digital" format accordingly. User mark2410 had gave us very good and useful review for RS 185, I am thankful to him. He supposed (and not only he) that there is an internal DAC in 1x5 models. Maybe the statement was based upon a price, maybe he has another information source, I do not know, I could not find any official information concerning to it.

I will try to illustrate in more details my logic below.

Is there is no DAC, processing for digital input data might go like this:
a) digital input data --> processing of digital data (maybe bass boost, surround modes in 175, balance control in 185, balance control, speech clarity etc. in 195) --> Sennhieser  (not Kleer’s) digital data processing (prepare for transmission) --> transmitting digital data over RF --> RF read by phones and Sennhieser (not Kleer’s) digital data reverse processing/decoding --> phone’s DAC --> phone’s amplifier.
b) analog input data --> analog data processing (like setting sound level, ALC, MLC) --> ADC --> here we get the same digital data as in case 3-a and further processing goes the same way.

The mentioned above "processings" (bass boost etc.) work for both analog and digital input and could be controlled from phones remotely too, so they should logically be in digital circuit, but analog data processing (like setting sound level, ALC, MLC) is available only for analog input.
I suppose the architecture is a correct one, am I right?

If there would be an internal DAC within, then processing for digital input would rather go like this:
c) digital input data --> DAC --> analog data (like setting sound level, ALC, MLC) --> ADC --> digital data --> processing of digital data (maybe bass boost, surround modes in 175, balance control in 185, balance control, speech clarity etc. in 195) --> Sennhieser (not Kleer’s) digital data processing --> transmitting digital data over RF --> RF read by phones and Sennhieser (not Kleer’s) digital data reverse processing/decoding --> phone’s DAC --> phone’s amplifier.
d) analog input data --> analog data processing (like setting sound level, ALC, MLC) - here we get the same analog data as in case 3-c and further processing goes the same way.

II) Sennhieser  would not suggest always to use digital input, but only in cases when external DAC is not so good as one from TR 1x5 (SNR values from specification for analog and digital input also says about it).
III) There could be possibility to use ALC for digital input (good feature btw.).

Q4) If one looks upon the very first page of manual for RS 1x0 and RS 1x5 models one can see in pictures that 1x5 models do have more curved holder "springs", I mean ear pads have bigger angle between them. It looks firmer in TR holder, but IMO it is not good for head. Someone also writes that 1x5 version has much more pressure to head then 1x0. I just do not understand why it is done so (comparing to 1x0 models)... For my mom bigger pressure is a big disadvantage. For Hi-Fi phones one might not wear them for whole day, but for TV usage it could be the case. One even can fall asleep accidentally with phones on, how would he feel after waking up? People with good health might not pay much attention to it (which IMO is unwise), but my mom has a headache after such ones - I bought her once phones she could not use. I might understand it if the phones would be made for sport. I do like how Sennhieser phones sound in general, especially good ones and give a big and sincere credit to engineers’ hard work, but I would like to ask them in the particular case - why?

Q5) In my wild dreams :) I can see in phones spec. information about how much pressure (i.e. in Newton) each circumaural and supraaural phones put to a "standard" head (or ears in case of supraaural ones) to be able to compare the values before buying. Could possibly Sennheiser be a pioneer in the field? I think buyers would appreciate such care about them.

Question @everyone who possesses 1x5 models:
- How much maximal time could you spend wearing them?
- How pressure to head is compared to HD-650 (which I have, so can get an impression comparing to it)?

Many thanks to Rosmadi Mahmood and everybody in advance!

Hi fairwind,

Do give me another day or two to check on some details with the development team. We want to be sure to give you a good response! 

Sep 23, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #130 of 440
Looking to replace a pair of Vizio wireless headphones.  The Vizio handled Dolby Digital out, but I assume the optical input on the Sennheiser need a decoded signal.
These are being used in a bedroom for movie viewing of which there is no A//V receiver to decode.  

Will be outputting from Blu-ray player and WD Live TV (Gen 1) unit.
The blu-ray player should be fine since that can output Bitstream via setting on player.

But for the WD Live TV was wondering how it would handle MKV type files that have a DTS or Dolby Digital audio.   I know there is stereo output setting on optical audio out, but not sure how well that works with these audio formats and if that would solve the issue of using the Sennheiser with WD Live TV for these type of sources.

Anyone have a similar media streamer and how is this addressed with sources like these and does the sound come thru good quality to the Sennheiser.

I hear that the WD Live Gen2 (and the Live, Live Plus and Live Hub) are all licensed to downmix DTS to stereo, but anyone here can confirm that WD Live Gen2 like the Plus version converts a DTS audio to stereo over the optical out so it can play on the wireless headphones?

Sep 29, 2015 at 3:15 AM Post #132 of 440
Hi @fairwind

Please see our response in blue below:

Quote:

Hello Rosmadi Mahmood,

They are not the same. While both ALCs are designed not to overload the ADC at high analog audio signal levels, the RS 185's ALC is superior to the RS 180's. The RS 185's ALC circuit gives the best possible dynamic range for the audio signal without clipping or distorting the signal.

Yes. Due to the RF transmission of digital uncompressed audio data, a DAC is needed inside the headphone to convert the digital audio to analog audio.

C) Digital audio processing with different features dependent on the variant.

There is, only MLC is reserved for analog input. 

We recommend digital input if available as for a lot of cases and users, this is the better and more convenient connection.

ALC is not implemented for digital as such is already levelled quite well. Analog input differs widely depending on content and source. 

We need to ensure a good seal especially  for closed type headphones. Over the years, we found that sound leakage tends to happen at the lower portion of the ear near to the neck and jaw, where the facial profile can differ drastically. We try to compensate this by having a more 'curved' or bigger angle for RS 1X5. However, this means that for some customers with a more 'squarish' face, they might experience higher pressure at the lower portion. 

It is a challenge to achieve a good balance between comfort and acoustic requirements; and we are trying our best to satisfy the majority of customers while at the same time providing the best sound experience possible. 

Some customer may prefer a higher pressure to feel more secure while some do not. Also, we need to balance the pressure for the headphones to be tight enough so as to allow the customer to move around and not letting it slide or drop off. 

If we present a value to a regular customer, it may not necessarily be helpful as he may not be able to judge the difference between 6N and 4N, for example. The best way for the customer is still to try it in a store before purchasing. Nevertheless, we thank you for this suggestion and we'll consider to include it for our future launches. 
wink_face.gif

Sep 29, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #133 of 440
Hello Rosmadi Mahmood,
Thank you very much for your reply, I have learned a few interesting things thanks to you. Below are my points of view in "green".

Hi @fairwind

Please see our response in blue below:

Quote:
They are not the same. While both ALCs are designed not to overload the ADC at high analog audio signal levels, the RS 185's ALC is superior to the RS 180's. The RS 185's ALC circuit gives the best possible dynamic range for the audio signal without clipping or distorting the signal.
That’s a good news to know! Because many people might use analog input too.

Q2) Do models 1x5 (like RS 175 etc.) really have a DAC?
Yes. Due to the RF transmission of digital uncompressed audio data, a DAC is needed inside the headphone to convert the digital audio to analog audio.
A DAC is needed not only inside headphones of new 1x5 models, but in old 1x0 models too which do not have a digital input, so I and user mark2410 were both speaking not about it. So I see that my logic was correct :) while FR transmitter has a digital input it does not have a DAC.
  There is, only MLC is reserved for analog input. 
Actually, I meant MLC in my post, sorry for the misspelled definition.

ALC is not implemented for digital as such is already levelled quite well. Analog input differs widely depending on content and source. 
In theory digital input should be leveled well, but according to my personal experience it is not always the case for digital TV broadcasts for example where commercials are mixed with movies.

Q4) If one looks upon the very first page of manual for RS 1x0 and RS 1x5 models one can see in pictures that 1x5 models do have more curved holder "springs", I mean ear pads have bigger angle between them. It looks firmer in TR holder, but IMO it is not good for head. Someone also writes that 1x5 version has much more pressure to head then 1x0. I just do not understand why it is done so (comparing to 1x0 models)... For my mom bigger pressure is a big disadvantage. For Hi-Fi phones one might not wear them for whole day, but for TV usage it could be the case. One even can fall asleep accidentally with phones on, how would he feel after waking up? People with good health might not pay much attention to it (which IMO is unwise), but my mom has a headache after such ones - I bought her once phones she could not use. I might understand it if the phones would be made for sport. I do like how Sennhieser phones sound in general, especially good ones and give a big and sincere credit to engineers’ hard work, but I would like to ask them in the particular case - why? We need to ensure a good seal especially  for closed type headphones. Over the years, we found that sound leakage tends to happen at the lower portion of the ear near to the neck and jaw, where the facial profile can differ drastically. We try to compensate this by having a more 'curved' or bigger angle for RS 1X5. However, this means that for some customers with a more 'squarish' face, they might experience higher pressure at the lower portion. 
IMO bigger angle is Ok, because it is adjusted to head anyway, but bigger pressure is not Ok.
Here is my idea: try to use “foam with memory effect” within ear pads instead of common foam. “Foam with memory effect” is used mostly in mattresses now to “wrap” body with more equal pressure making more comfortable feeling. Is it not what everybody wants to have in headphones? The new material would give you a better sound isolation but with less total pressure to a listener head. I do not need a patent - you can have it :wink: just create comfortable phones in return! I am sure new material might has a bit different acoustic properties, but the difficulty IMO is surmountable.

It is a challenge to achieve a good balance between comfort and acoustic requirements; and we are trying our best to satisfy the majority of customers while at the same time providing the best sound experience possible. 
Yes that is indeed a challenge and I am totally agree with you here, but please listen to my logic below.
a) Open phones like 180, 185 models suffer much less from the problem. What here could be done: either use not so tight holder for new 185 open model only, or at least not discontinue old 180 model which is not so tight. Even majority can read reviews and impressions from minority, so IMO both groups would be better treated with proper respect giving them a possibility of choice (again, I mean discontinuing 180 model here).
b) Some people write about “not so comfortable” leather ear pads in 175 and 195 models comparing to velour ear pads of 185 model, so ones have to put up with worse isolation and, as an effect, worse bass sound but more comfort velour ear pads, while other ones have to put up with worse comfort but more true sound with leather ear pads. This might mean too much pressure issue too. Keywords here are “have to put up” which indicates to a clear possibility for potential improvement.
c) Just as another proposal, research team can try to wear the phones for a long time like a whole day etc. and find out for themselves what it feels like. I also sometimes tend to offer other people “what is better for them”, but do not do it myself. But I aware of this my problem and I am working on it immediately correcting myself when I notice it. If the proposal is too cruel then you could use the method for defaulters only :wink:.

Some customer may prefer a higher pressure to feel more secure while some do not. Also, we need to balance the pressure for the headphones to be tight enough so as to allow the customer to move around and not letting it slide or drop off. 
If we present a value to a regular customer, it may not necessarily be helpful as he may not be able to judge the difference between 6N and 4N, for example. The best way for the customer is still to try it in a store before purchasing. Nevertheless, we thank you for this suggestion and we'll consider to include it for our future launches. 
wink_face.gif

Yes! :)
In the beginning IMO, customers would not know what to do with the new characteristic. But here is a quite possible scenario for further development of things: “minority” would check and compare the values on themselves and write their impressions in reviews and etc., “majority” would accustom to the specification and will learn how to apply it to personal preferences.

I have my personal news: I have bought RS 175 model (transmitter + phones) thinking to buy later additionally HDR 185 phones. Sound quality is quite good, but I was right - ear pad pressure IMO is too much and that is really a pity! I can put up with it for some time, but not for a long (couple of hours maybe). My mom can put up with it much less time. So it is a pity, because sound quality is rather good for TV, but I think I have to sell it and try to find old RS 180 model and additional HDR 180 or maybe HDR 170 phones too. The problem here is where to buy it now…

I can write my personal impression and some thoughts about RS 175 model later.

Again, thank you Mahmood, thanks a lot to everyone!

Sep 30, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #135 of 440
Hi, I also bought the RS 195 hoping that I could hear the actors talking when there is background music or noise.
cool.gif

I have had the RS 180 which seems so much better than RS 195 for realistic but not overdone bass.
Also for music I prefer the RS 180.
L3000.gif

http://en-us.sennheiser.com/digital-headphones-wireless-home-audio-rs-180  priced $329  
But they are now discontinued so at : Amazon it's    $214  and some at    $184
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=sennheiser+rs+180
For movies  
popcorn.gif
the RS 195  i can hear them speaking  perfectly the dialogue. 
darthsmile.gif

It's my opinion that the very high added price of the RS 195   at  $450
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-RS-195-Wireless-Headphone/dp/B00SJ4INFI  
does not come near to the quality received.
confused.gif

For  audio music enjoyment at $450   the RS 195 are wanting..
angry_face.gif

All the supposed many(!!!???) options for tweaking what you hear are nil.
confused_face(1).gif

deadhorse.gif
I learned (again) that saving up cash and throwing money at the highest level earphones is too often a waste of money.
blink.gif

And I'm not talking "Audiophile vs Common Hearing".  
The RS 170, RS 180 are great, I hear that the new line RS 175 and RS 185 also !!!!!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back