sennheiser rs-120 again or???
Jun 20, 2010 at 10:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

dull

New Head-Fier
hi- new guy here. i have a 5? year old set of rs-120's that are sounding tired, and have picked up some static. i'm debating a new set or maybe going corded. i watch vh-1, mtv, cmt, or palladia every morning to get me going. i like everything from pink to the killers, from johnny cash to keith urban- basically pretty mainstream stuff. since i don't really move around very much i can go corded if i'll be getting better sound. i'd like to stay around $80 to $100. i also have hearing issues at about 50% of normal so i'd like something loud but not distorted. thanks very much for any help.

dull

Jun 22, 2010 at 12:05 AM Post #3 of 5
I would definitely go corded if you can manage it. A good choice is ATH-M50, which you can get in your price range. It is very versatile in my opinion, and does not need to be amped. It has a slight bass emphasis for most people, just so you know, but it is a superb choice for around $100.

Jun 22, 2010 at 8:10 AM Post #4 of 5
thank you, priest. i was thinking that corded would have better sound quality and less distortion than cordless. i've lost some hearing over the years so i have to play the rs-120's very loudly and they distort pretty badly.

Jun 23, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
thank you, priest. i was thinking that corded would have better sound quality and less distortion than cordless. i've lost some hearing over the years so i have to play the rs-120's very loudly and they distort pretty badly.

No problem. I have the RS 140, so I am not anti-wireless per se, it's just that they don't match wired in my opinion, and I only opt for them when I can't use wired. However, the new generation of Sennheiser wireless sets are supposed to be much better in terms of transmission, so you might want to look at those if you decide to stick with wireless.

As for the ATH-M50, I don't listen really loud, so I can't speak to distortion, but I've never heard anyone complain about that with them. If you buy from B&H you will not only get a great price, but you can return them within 15 days I think it is if you don't like them.

Welcome to Head-Fi by they way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back