Sennheiser rebate is a scam
Nov 6, 2008 at 7:38 PM Post #16 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by conductor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It was a upc I sent in. I did everything correctly and I don't appreciate the hassle.

Hassle? Sounds like the guy tried to help you out (actually, he did help you out) and then took the time to post a polite, professional, non-confrontational rebuttal to your accusation. Your thread title labels this promotion a scam. If I were TheDeliveryMan, I might not have been so controlled.

Nov 6, 2008 at 8:08 PM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

It was a upc I sent in. I did everything correctly and I don't appreciate the hassle.

Then how about changing your thread title into "Sennheiser rebate is a hassle" ?

Now, it's extremely misleading because there is no scam. Right? A lot of people don't like scams, but don't mind a hassle now and then.

Nov 6, 2008 at 10:16 PM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Sounds to me like you were taken care of. Whether it was you or the rebate company that made the mistake, Sennheiser took care of you. Certainly your hassle was not worthy of a thread bashing Sennheiser. Welcome to Head-Fi -- maybe your next thread will be a bit more constructive.

Nov 7, 2008 at 12:07 AM Post #20 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solid Snake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never got along with rebates.

Me neither. Such a gimmick. Why not just sell the product cheaper?

Nov 7, 2008 at 12:26 AM Post #21 of 30
UPC-A.gif
UPC - 12 digits

EAN13Barcode.jpg
EAN - 13 digits.

This is a bit of an oversimplification. But should show how easy it would be for a mistake to happen between sending an EAN vs a UPC. Not saying that is what happened with the OP. But EAN and UPC sure do look similar huh? Some difference in placement of #s/ # of lines making up the border

More exactly:
UPC-A : 12 digits EAN-13 : 13 digits
UPC-E : 8 digits EAN-8: 8 digits.

For the 8's, the UPC has 2 #'s total, on the outside of the weird barcode lines. For the EAN-8, all 8 digits all surrounded by the barcode lines.

Nov 7, 2008 at 12:50 AM Post #22 of 30
I had a very pleasant rebate experience with senn...they took my crappy old koss cans off my hands and within a month (virtually light speed for rebates) i got my 50 buckaroos...generally i have no qualms about rebates---in the last 10 years i must've sent in nearly 100 rebates and i can only think of a couple that were kicked back or "lost in the mail"

read directions carefully (they are sticklers with rebate terms)

Nov 7, 2008 at 1:07 AM Post #23 of 30
It can be argued that rebates in and of themselves are a bit of a scam. What makes me think/feel that this rebate is a scam is the way my rebate submission was handled. I did all that was required after buying the headpuones from a participating dealer. The email I received did not mention that they deemed my submission invalid, but just contained a tracking number to check on my rebate. I took the time to click on the link and copy and past the tracking number from the email just to find that my stuff was deemed invalid for these reasons: 1. non participating dealer 2.no upc code./ invalid upc code. neither of which was true. I think that they bank on a certain number of people not following through, or not having the time to follow through, or not knowing how to follow through and just forgetting about it. After jumpimg through yet more hoops and the phone menu thing, I got through to a person, who told me my upc was not readable. Gee, I thought it was missing. So the guy said they would make a "one time exception" and pay the rebate. Now Mr Sennheiser guy posts here and says "we took care of you" and "we helped you out" Now he says it wasnt a upc code at all that I submitted. No apology or admission of their making a mistake, if that's what it was, rather just basically complaining about my complaining. I think he is worrie more about "negative image" than "pleasing the customer". It leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
btw, I do understand that people try to rip off rebates and that they have to guard against this but I took great pains to submit my stuff correctly. I even included a good set of used phones not some crappy old p.o.s.

Nov 7, 2008 at 2:07 AM Post #24 of 30
Welcome to the real world. Honestly how is this a scam. They processed your application and an automated system said one thing but a person said another. Big deal automated systems don't have every option under the sun. The Senn rep was respectful and simply pointed out you were taken care of, it's his job, and you were taken care of. Your original post is misleading.

If you are so perturbed by having to send a letter, then make a couple phone calls just to be given $50 for an item that you probably couldn't get $5 for grow up.

Nov 7, 2008 at 2:32 AM Post #25 of 30
Thanks for the welcome to the "real world" but I have been here for 60 years already. A real person opened my envelope with the required stuff in it and submitted the info into the system. A real person contradicted himself. The Sennheiser rep was condescending, not respectful. Yes my original post is misleading, but if you have read my follow up posts I have made my position clear. I did more than "send a letter and make a couple of phone calls. I wasnt "given" $50. You make it sound like a gift. It was the deal. I kept my end of it. And after doing so, was made to jump through hoops and same as called a liar. I'm sorry if I have offended the Sennheiser gods that reside here.

Nov 7, 2008 at 2:43 AM Post #26 of 30
Quote:

I even included a good set of used phones not some crappy old p.o.s.

Not to fan the flames but WHY?!
You know they just chuck them, hence why they said "any condition". Almost everyone has some cheapo oem buds around somewhere, or you could have just picked up some dollar store ones and sent those.
I really don't care either way, just sounds peculiar to me.

Nov 7, 2008 at 5:59 PM Post #27 of 30
Quote:

It can be argued that rebates in and of themselves are a bit of a scam.

All rebates are scams now? Then it did not really matter how they treated you, did it?

Nov 7, 2008 at 6:53 PM Post #28 of 30
scam=a fraudulent business scheme; an attempt to deprive somebody of something by deceit

I'm sorry, but I don't see that here. I just see a mixup that has been corrected by the company. I think your thread title is very misleading. I agree that "hassle" is more accurate.

Nov 7, 2008 at 10:27 PM Post #29 of 30
Quote:

It can be argued that rebates in and of themselves are a bit of a scam. What makes me think/feel that this rebate is a scam is the way my rebate submission was handled. I did all that was required after buying the headpuones from a participating dealer. The email I received did not mention that they deemed my submission invalid, but just contained a tracking number to check on my rebate. I took the time to click on the link and copy and past the tracking number from the email just to find that my stuff was deemed invalid for these reasons: 1. non participating dealer 2.no upc code./ invalid upc code. neither of which was true. I think that they bank on a certain number of people not following through, or not having the time to follow through, or not knowing how to follow through and just forgetting about it. After jumpimg through yet more hoops and the phone menu thing, I got through to a person, who told me my upc was not readable. Gee, I thought it was missing. So the guy said they would make a "one time exception" and pay the rebate. Now Mr Sennheiser guy posts here and says "we took care of you" and "we helped you out" Now he says it wasnt a upc code at all that I submitted. No apology or admission of their making a mistake, if that's what it was, rather just basically complaining about my complaining. I think he is worrie more about "negative image" than "pleasing the customer". It leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
btw, I do understand that people try to rip off rebates and that they have to guard against this but I took great pains to submit my stuff correctly. I even included a good set of used phones not some crappy old p.o.s.

I'm one of the guys who had a somewhat negative reaction to your position on this matter and reference to it as a scam, and posted accordingly. However, after reading the above, I want to temper my negativity a bit and, to be fair to you, acknowledge that you appear to have been given the runaround and undeservedly hassled. Much of what you say about the rebate process in general is true. These fulfillment houses, in many cases, are not always above board, and that's being kind. Been there...done that. I do have a problem with the use of the term scam, and the suggestion that this is a systemic problem, but that's another discussion. I just wanted to tell you that I am somewhat (maybe a lot) more sympathetic to your situation than I suggested before, knowing the facts.

Nov 7, 2008 at 10:42 PM Post #30 of 30
Yes hassle or perhaps just a human error on behalf of the one who originally handled your parcel when it arrived or perhaps even human error on your part sending in the wrong number (it could happen you know, we all make mistakes from time to time). You got your money and calling it a scam would require proof that it had happend the same way to a lot more people than just you. Calm down and/or grow up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back