Sennheiser PXC 550 Discussion and Reviews
Sep 19, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #121 of 206
Another notice in the comparison between PXC550 and QC35, The PXC550 have a better sound quality overall "not much better though", however the QC35 have a much much bigger soundstage, did anyone notice this?

Sep 29, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #122 of 206
Hi everyone,

I'm also new to Head-Fi. Just received my PXC 550 headphones yesterday. Very comfortable! Very versatile! Very nice visual presentation!

I was surprised that when running Bluetooth off of my iPhone 7 that the volume max settings did not put out the output I expected. What was even more surprising: the same holds true with the 1/8" stereo jack and USB cable. I'm a bit confused by this (both PXC 550 and iPhone 7 volume maxed). I wasn't planning on blowing my ears out, but just a bit more volume would be helpful. Any ideas/firmware upgrades that may remedy this/suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Sep 29, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #123 of 206
Hi everyone,

I'm also new to Head-Fi. Just received my PXC 550 headphones yesterday. Very comfortable! Very versatile! Very nice visual presentation!

I was surprised that when running Bluetooth off of my iPhone 7 that the volume max settings did not put out the output I expected. What was even more surprising: the same holds true with the 1/8" stereo jack and USB cable. I'm a bit confused by this (both PXC 550 and iPhone 7 volume maxed). I wasn't planning on blowing my ears out, but just a bit more volume would be helpful. Any ideas/firmware upgrades that may remedy this/suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Make sure the headphones are actually at full volume. There’s sometimes a disjoint between the phone's volume and that of the headphones. I had the same problem when I first got them and discovered that even when the phone shows full volume, the headphone sometimes wasn’t. Swiping up until I hear the max volume prompt fixes the issue.

Even so, I did find that the Sennheiser was not as loud as any other comparable headphone I tested against.

Sep 30, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #124 of 206
I swiped up, heard the "Max Volume" message and made sure my iPhone 7's volume was maxed as well. No change. I'm balancing on the edge of: "I'm returning these Bluetooth headphones due solely to this/I'm keeping these as the volume level is just enough." I'll give them another week.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Ian

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2017 at 8:49 PM Post #125 of 206
Hi everyone,

Thank you in advance!

I found this too and it's disappointing because this is the only gripe I have with them. It's a no issue in a quiet environment but when on a plane/bus/car a little more volume would really help.

Pete.

Nov 11, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #126 of 206
Just picked this up. I’m a Bluetooth convert. I’ve been anti Bluetooth for a long time. I only picked this up because my job requires lots of video conferencing. Saw these on frys for $250. What the heck.

The call quality on this is amazing. It’s so convenient. It pairs up in an instance.

I wasn’t too impressed with the sound quality but I discovered I could tweak it with the app. It’s not amazing but good enough for a Bluetooth device. I’m glad I got these. I’ve attached my settings. It gets loud enough for me.

Boost - thump
Spatial - off
Reverb - medium
DLC - on

Attachments

• 2460F233-95ED-4918-A8CF-C756AD998D17.png
    2460F233-95ED-4918-A8CF-C756AD998D17.png
    200.6 KB · Views: 0
Nov 11, 2017 at 9:25 AM Post #127 of 206
Just picked this up. I’m a Bluetooth convert. I’ve been anti Bluetooth for a long time. I only picked this up because my job requires lots of video conferencing. Saw these on frys for $250. What the heck.

The call quality on this is amazing. It’s so convenient. It pairs up in an instance.

I wasn’t too impressed with the sound quality but I discovered I could tweak it with the app. It’s not amazing but good enough for a Bluetooth device. I’m glad I got these. I’ve attached my settings. It gets loud enough for me.

Boost - thump
Spatial - off
Reverb - medium
DLC - on

Proof that we all hear differently :D I actually liked the sound stock a lot, but on some less compressed recordings I found it could be just a little short of where I wanted on volume and I didn't like the touch controls -- I hung up on at least one person accidentally. Comfort was great and ANC is wonderful, I think only QC35 and Sony's latest offerings are better.

Nov 11, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #128 of 206
Proof that we all hear differently :D I actually liked the sound stock a lot, but on some less compressed recordings I found it could be just a little short of where I wanted on volume and I didn't like the touch controls -- I hung up on at least one person accidentally. Comfort was great and ANC is wonderful, I think only QC35 and Sony's latest offerings are better.

Don’t get me wrong. I like the stock sound but the EQ settings just allows that little bit more “air” in the sound. Also it’s nice to be able to boost the bass in noisy environments.

It’s pretty comfortable. I’m average build and it’s just enough room for my eyes. I can see how someone who’s larger than me can find the headband a little too tight and the cups too small. Gonna fly this week so I’ll get a chance to review it on the plane.

Nov 21, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #129 of 206
Hello all,

I have just bought these headphones but I feel the BT volume is too quiet. I tried swiping up till I hear volume max and then using the source volume, but tbh in a quiet environment I find myself at 80% volume already. I read some posts about volume issues with these? Do you think I got a defective pair? They are much louder when connected to the headphone jack in my laptop. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Thanks in advance for replying.

Nov 21, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #130 of 206
Hello all,

I have just bought these headphones but I feel the BT volume is too quiet. I tried swiping up till I hear volume max and then using the source volume, but tbh in a quiet environment I find myself at 80% volume already. I read some posts about volume issues with these? Do you think I got a defective pair? They are much louder when connected to the headphone jack in my laptop. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Thanks in advance for replying.

I also had this issue - definitely got far louder on USB / wired than on Bluetooth, and while it was loud enough for modern music compressed for loudness, on some recordings I found I wanted just one more level of volume.

That’s why I took it back - that and the touch controls which cannot be disabled.

Nov 23, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #131 of 206
I also had this issue - definitely got far louder on USB / wired than on Bluetooth, and while it was loud enough for modern music compressed for loudness, on some recordings I found I wanted just one more level of volume.

That’s why I took it back - that and the touch controls which cannot be disabled.
Yeah I'm thinking of asking for a replacement pair, the difference is a bit too much to be honest. Otherwise I'm very happy with these.

Nov 27, 2017 at 12:53 AM Post #132 of 206

That's interesting. I actually have the opposite issue. When using the PXC550 on both Bluetooth or wired, i would never go more than 40% as even on 45% it could even get unbearable. Even when using a computer i never set it above 11/100 as it could get unbearably loud even on those number.

One interesting thing thou, if you are using mac or apple phone, the volume is actually on the same control, meaning if you swipe up the system volume also goes up. But when on android(which i am using) this never happens.

Dec 11, 2017 at 9:35 AM Post #133 of 206
Hi everyone!

I bought my pair of PXC550 one year ago and honestly I’m pretty impressed by them!

One small issues in the past two months: I can’t manage to change the settings in Captune app because it fails to load…although I can play the music and use the integrated EQ. Please see attached a screenshot: https://postimg.org/image/jyzs1fyx7/
I have an Iphone 7 with 11.2 IOS.

Does anyone has the same issues?

All the best!

Dec 12, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #134 of 206
I’m new to the hobby of seeking better sound. I’ve always been a stock iphone earbud guy.
I just bought these. I like them very much. But I think these types of headphones are overpriced, or are we paying for the technology more than the sound quality?

I read on some forums I could achieve comparable sound via the 5xx series by Sennheiser, like the 569 or 599 at a fraction of the cost. Plus no need to worry about a battery dying or fancy parts malfunctioning.

I just ordered the 598sr and 598cs. Will they sound as good as the pxc550? If so I think I’m going back to wired. I like the 550’s a lot, and they sound good. But I like the idea of for the same price getting both an open and closed set. I don’t like or want the active noise cancellation or noise guard as I don’t travel much and like to be aware of my environment. I use only with my iphone. I thought Bluetooth would be best option for convenience but think maybe the sound quality to cost ratio isn’t as good as wired. What do you think?

Dec 12, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #135 of 206
I’m new to the hobby of seeking better sound. I’ve always been a stock iphone earbud guy.
I just bought these. I like them very much. But I think these types of headphones are overpriced, or are we paying for the technology more than the sound quality?

I read on some forums I could achieve comparable sound via the 5xx series by Sennheiser, like the 569 or 599 at a fraction of the cost. Plus no need to worry about a battery dying or fancy parts malfunctioning.

I just ordered the 598sr and 598cs. Will they sound as good as the pxc550? If so I think I’m going back to wired. I like the 550’s a lot, and they sound good. But I like the idea of for the same price getting both an open and closed set. I don’t like or want the active noise cancellation or noise guard as I don’t travel much and like to be aware of my environment. I use only with my iphone. I thought Bluetooth would be best option for convenience but think maybe the sound quality to cost ratio isn’t as good as wired. What do you think?

The pxc550 goes on sale quite frequently. I got mine for $250. I forgot if it was frys or buydig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back